Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply Classic Bike Parts Cheshire

Upgrade Your membership! Premium Membership Gold Membership Vendor Membership

New Sponsor post
July 4th Sale at The Bonneville Shop
by The Bonneville Shop - 07/01/22 6:26 pm
New FAQ post
Member Spotlight
Les P
Les P
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 65
kevin 60
DavidP 58
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Lannis 23
MikeG 20
Newest Members
MartyH, Steve Sewell UK, BrokenLeg, Jeff Keller, Steveland
12,212 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
8 members (henryanthony, Magnetoman, Lannis, htown70, reverb, Doug P, The Momes of Wrath, steelheadchaser), 7 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,552
Posts776,412
Members12,212
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
You guys will love this, do what the norton racers do and install a triumph tranny.:)LOL

Tim Joyce
sponsors
[email protected] cycles
Works shocks
Glass from the past
Norton on eBay
G
Geoff Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
G
Wow - there is alot of great info here. FWIW - I have not pulled the gearbox apart as alot of responses seemed to point in that direction. The bike will slip back into gear once I lay off the throttle - I figured I could live with it until at least this winter or rebuild my "spare" transmission that came with the '73 bits bike in the package.

Thanks for the replies -
Geoff

Something witty goes here.
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Man ,you norton guys are something,I tryed to get you going with the triumph tranny thing and you all just agree.:)

Tim Joyce
sponsors
[email protected] cycles
Works shocks
Glass from the past
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Operation complete, late last night after work (til 12:30am). Keep posted for the final verdict. Been raining cats and dogs, haven't even started it, never mind shifted it.

edit
6:20 PM still raining. Hopefully tomorrow i can check.

Last edited by nert; 08/22/09 10:21 pm. Reason: update

keep your "oddies" lubricated, and carry a dime
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Man ,you norton guys are something,I tryed to get you going with the triumph tranny thing and you all just agree.:)

Well the rest is all better, just have to suffer one small foible wink

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
I got good news and bad news.

I took the Norton out yesterday for short road test after the rain stopped for awhile. I now have 1st gear, and the remaining (3) as well. When i opened the transmission up Friday night, the gears i was to change did NOT look that bad. If i didn't know there was a problem. I would not have replaced them. Since i bought them in they go. During assembly of the outer cover, I also shimmed the kick start shaft as previously suggested. Had to put about .059" of shim to end up with between .005 and .010 ed play.

After reassembly, the gear selector just did not feel right to me. It felt as if i wasn't getting fifth gear or wasn't getting first. I wasn't sure. I never sat there and played with the shifter like that before disassemble. I was working on the bike strapped to a trailer. So i didn't run it, i was moving the shifter by hand and rocking the rear wheel to align cogs, find gear positions and neutral. I just didn't like the way it felt. Was it the shims, was it the gears, did i assemble incorrectly?
So apart it comes again, thinking maybe i put a gear in backwards or something. After a lot of examining of mainshaft and layshaft gears, forks, etc.

I find the cam plate seems to be out of index with the shift quadrant. Now, i did not disassemble the cam plate or shift quadrant. According to the book, one needs to loosen the cam plate retainer bolt, push the cam plate into the box, index the cam plate to the quadrant, and reinstall retaining bolt. So, i did that. After final assembly, all gear selections felt fine. (still on the center stand)

The BIG question....Is it possible to disengage the cam plate and quadrant gears (change the index) WITHOUT, loosening the cam plate and pushing it into the gear box away from the quadrant gear teeth?

If it is not possible to change the index, THEN, that was the problem from the beginning. Really did not need new gears at all. It was obvious, i was not the first one inside this gear box.

I did not attempt to "index" when i replaced the gears and shimmed the kick start. I did rotate the cam plate, and quadrant, moved the forks around, watched the gears slide together, just to marvel at, and contemplate the wonder of it all.

So got all gears, shifts up and down as it should, finds neutral easy. That was yesterday. The road test proved it was all good.

The bad news is. I took it to work this morning, 32 miles one way. I didn't make it. about 15 miles out, I crashed into a car!!!

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hope your alright? The bike can be fixed. Man I feel for you, How bad are the both of you?

G
Geoff Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
G
Hey Nert,

I hope you didn't get hurt - the bike can always be fixed - its a shame it had to happen right after you fixed the transmission though.

Geoff

Something witty goes here.
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
I guess i got those Amals down pretty good on this Norton. After picking myself up, i went over to the bike, (laying slightly down hill on its left side) and like an old loyal family dog, it was still idling steadily, and looking at me with big sad eyes. I had to push the kill switch.

I am soar, road rash, little blood loss. Nothing broken. But, like i waited on the bike after the trans repair, i waited after a nights sleep to make a full evaluation of my own condition. Well now, i feel like i was in an accident. I can feel where my body made full contact with the pavement (hard). And a few more bruises have appeared. Some mental depression has seeped in. I will heal.

The bike, is pretty ok. Broke both front signal stalks, the handle bars are way loose, for some reason? Left drivers foot peg snapped of. The nut on the foot peg made some contact with the primary cover. Brake pedal, i believe is bent, and a small patch of rash towards the end on the left pea shooter.
After i picked the bike up and placed it on the center stand, i was spinning the front wheel and i thought i saw a slight flat spot.

When the cop was finished with me, I did restart the bike, and drive it home, (about 15 miles) resting my left foot on the foot peg bracket, and using hand signals. I looked for, but did not see any hop, or damage in the front wheel while i was driving. Still had (4) gears. In the spirit of psychotic "man behavior", i parked the Norton, got out the 82'1100GLZ Suzuki and rode the 32 miles to work.

Careful inspection of the removed gears, (1st and second) shows possible engagement of 1/32 to 1/16th of an inch. No wonder it was slipping out. It wasn't in much.

Does anyone have an answer to the "BIG Question" i asked in my previous entry about the cam plate and the quadrant gear index?

thanks for your concern on the health of me and the Norton.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If it not set up correctly then that is what was happening, Too bad someone did not think of this as then you would not have needed to change them. I have never heard of something like this and that must be the case for those that read your post also. If you need those parts for the turn signals don't buy them, Let me look in the garage I know I have some and you can have them if you want, Also if you need the outer cover I have one of those also. Just don't know if it is perfect. Glad to hear you are ok and the bike is not too bad, Also just let me know what parts you may need and I will let you have whatever I have here. Chuck.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The BIG question answer would be no, Sorry.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Hortons Norton

Since the answer is NO. IT cost me money for the new gears i didn't need. Perhaps others will benefit from my "investment"

BUT, i did find a definitive reason as to why it was jumping out of gear, fixed it, solved the problem.

I wanted to make sure it wasn't possible to compromise the index while cleaning and inspecting. The fact that you have to loosen the cam plate and rotate it means it WAS definitely incorrect initially, that being the cause of my 1st gear engagement.

Thanks for the parts offer. I did order signals already.
vic

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by nert
I am soar, road rash, little blood loss. Nothing broken. But, like i waited on the bike after the trans repair, i waited after a nights sleep to make a full evaluation of my own condition. Well now, i feel like i was in an accident. I can feel where my body made full contact with the pavement (hard). And a few more bruises have appeared. Some mental depression has seeped in. I will heal.

If you were closer I'd buy you beer and Jagger. I hate hearing about a brother going down. We will help in whatever way we can.

Dave from CT
N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Connecticut is no so far!! Beautiful state. Been there, love it.
I would like to take you up on that.
Some day.
thanks
vic

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
Geoff
seems like i stole your post here. But, fix the transmission. The repair is not that bad. Riding with first gear is good. If it turns out your gears are actualy bad. I have a "used" 1st and second gear for you if you need them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2022 britbike.com