Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleIndustrial tec supplyHepolite PistonsThe Bonneville Shop

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Ian C
Ian C
South Yorkshire, UK
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SteveM Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Need some information on the appropriate type of material and clearances for the bushing on the sleeve gear of a Manx gearbox.

After coming off the track at a track day, I noticed that the bike was dragging while coasting. Investigation revealed that the sleeve gear bush had failed; it looked like it had run dry of lubrication.

I have a machinist who will press a new bushing in and ream it, but he asked about the type of material (phosphor bronze etc.) that the bushing should be made from and the appropriate clearance to ream it.

Can anyone help?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Steve give maurice a call.

Tim Joyce
sponsors
[email protected] cycles
Works shocks
Glass from the past
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
You can cut a groove in the bearing surface of the bushing to allow oil entry but don't go all the way to the end (of the bushing at the outside of the tranny) to keep oil from leaking out. I had to do this a couple times for my 850 racer. Before the modification I had failures and one bushing actually dissappeared.

Don't just use two bushngs (one on each end) but fill the entire space up with bushings.

Jim

S
SteveM Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Thanks Tim. I will. Not sure why I didn't think of that in the first place. Jim. Thanks for the advice. May go that way.

P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
he may be in england?

Tim Joyce
sponsors
[email protected] cycles
Works shocks
Glass from the past
S
SteveM Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Yeah, suspect he is Tim. I tried to call the last couple of nights but got his answering machine. I'll catch up with him.

Moderated by  Allan G 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com