Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
DC
DC
Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Hi Gang,

Is am going to start wiring my '69 Lightning and I see a bit of a price difference between the '69 and the '70-'72 (this one being less expensive and having the turn signals as an option) I am mounting a Pazon ignition and solid state rectifier.... Would the later harness work on my machine? I am considering (though I would hate to do it) putting signals on her. Simply because I am in Canada and people up here don't seem to recognize hand signals anymore (sigh). I appreciate any help you can offer me.

Thanks,

DF

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
The OIF (oil in the frame)models have quite a bit different electrical component layout than the earlier dry frame models, It would best to use the harness your year model bike, you can always add the turn signal wires to it.

Mike

My company car is a Kenworth
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
Thanks,

DF

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi DF,

I agree with Mike - adding turn signals is easy but trying to modify an OIF harness to fit your bike will be much more difficult (btw, it's '71 that turn signsals were first fitted, '70 is still pre-OIF and pretty much the same as '69).

Fwiw, I added turn signals to my '69 Triumph T100 and the following is all it takes. BSA's and Triumphs used the same wire colour codes from long before '69 and, '71-on, the same electrical components. British Wiring does the wire and terminals, any of the usual parts suppliers will do you standard '71-on components. Or you might be able to buy a kit of components, wire and terminals, although you probably won't get any choices about the components or wire colours.

1. Mounting the indicator relay on the T100 was relatively wasy, 'cos Triumph never changed the frame, so it was just a matter of seeing where they mounted it '71-on (rear stud of the battery carrier, above the mudguard) and doing the same on my '69. The standard relay needs power when the ignition key switch is 'on', so find a White wire (if you're using standard Lucas wire colour codes) nearby and link from that.

2. The other relay terminal is connected with a Light Green/Brown wire to the handlebar switch.

3. For the handlebar switch, I used the cluster first used on the T160 and then by the Co-op '76-'78, most easily available as the Sparx SPX007. This has the advantage that it's a simple bolt-on replacement for the '69-standard horn and dipswitch; you don't even have to change the clutch lever.

For the indicators, it'll connect with the Light Green/Brown wire from the indicator relay inside the headlamp shell and it has the Green/Red (left indicators) and Green/White (right indicators) also for connection inside the headlamp shell, you just need to run the relevant wires to the rear indicators' positions.

Finally with the SPX007, you also get a headlamp flasher. whistle

4. Indicators. Dunno what you're thinking but I didn't fancy the size and expense of Lucas or pattern ones. I went for these at the front ('cos the black bodies blended with the black headlamp brackets) and these at the rear, 'cos the polished alloy bodies blended with the chrome grabrail. Despite the apparently-different makers, the indicators are exactly the same, and I fitted them all with tinted lenses, so I don't have the glaring orange either. I appreciate this retailer's based in GB, but they sell millions of 'go-faster stripes' for Jap bikes, Hinckleys and Hardlys so I'm sure there's something similar in the US; also, as the indicator maker(s) are almost certainly based in the Far East, you could well find 'em in a US 'go-faster stripes' retailer too.

5. Finally, don't do what BSA and Triumph did when they fitted indicators originally, and rely on the mounting to be the earth/ground path. sick Whatever indicators you decide on, if they don't have an earth/ground cable running from the bulb holder, make one up at least with a ring terminal to go under the mounting nut, with the other end connected into the loom's earth/ground (Red) wires.

Hth.

Regards,

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I believe that '69 and '70 harnesses are functionally identical.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
D
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
D
That is some excellent info! Thanks again guys..

DF

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com