Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Kenny
Kenny
Oklahoma
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Born To Run
OP Offline
Born To Run
It seems that many people have been having trouble using the search function on these forums (present company included!). In order to try and help, I have put together a short tutorial. I use the search function alot, and while it may leave something to be desired, if you follow a few simple steps, you’ll find your searches much more fruitful.

A few things to be sure you always do when searching:

Be sure you are logged in. I have had instances where I’ve used the search and all of a sudden I get the login page. So be sure you’re logged in!

ALWAYS use the advanced search function. It’s available to you as soon as you click on Search.

Select the forum(s) you want to search. Use the CTRL key to select multiple forums.

Directly below Keyword Search Terms are three choices:

• in subject (Topic heading)
• in body (within the post itself)
• in subject and body

Unless you need to tailor and refine your search, the default setting should be in subject and body.

Date Range:

Unless you know a specific date, it’s a good idea to allow a wide range to get the results you’re looking for. I almost always use the “Newer than” selection of 3 years.
Now that you have all your search parameters in place, it’s time to select what it is we’re looking for.

Keyword Search Terms:

This is an important step. What you enter here and how you enter it will determine, in large part, how successful your search is. There are a few advanced search functions that I use to get the results I want. They are:

+keyword for required keywords.
-keyword to exclude posts with a keyword.
Quotes (“) around a phrase to search for a phrase.
Use a * at the end of the word to match partial words.

Let’s look at an example of each:

Enter: +Boyer
Result: Will return all posts with the word Boyer

Enter: -Boyer
Result: Will return all posts WITHOUT the word Boyer.

Enter: “Boyer won’t fire”
Result: Will return all posts with that EXACT phrase in it.

Enter: con*
Result: Will return all posts with the word con, conrod, connect connecting, confirm, etc…..

If you follow these simple suggestions, I think you’ll be much happier with the results of your search.

I have noticed some limitations with the search function when it comes to numbers, special characters, etc…..perhaps these can be addressed by Morgan at some point. If there are any particular search issues you have, list them on this thread and perhaps they can be corrected/changed.

I assembled this fairly quickly, so if there are any glaring errors, please bring them to my attention to be edited.

Hope this helps,

Steve Prince

Last edited by John Healy; 03/26/09 12:08 am.

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
T
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
T

Thanks Jubee.
Juan
1978 T140V
1969 T120R

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Jubee,

Thanks!

Can your post stay on the first page? Just like the "Post a pic"?
My short memory lasts only for about 8 hours! grin

Hein

Triumph Bonneville T140 1978
Yamaha XS 650 Heritage special 1982 (rephased, big bore)
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
From wake up to first beer?

beerchug

Ger B

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I see that the search tutorial is on the top of page one now! :bigt

Thanks Jubee and/or moderator!

Hein

Triumph Bonneville T140 1978
Yamaha XS 650 Heritage special 1982 (rephased, big bore)
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Thanks Steve- That's a real time saver !

1983 TR65T Tiger Trail
1983 TSSAV
1983 TSX
1983 TR65 Thunderbird
1982 TR7T Tiger Trail
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Steve you a better man than me if you can make this work! What I am searching for is the correct procedure to tention the primary chain on a T140, tried numerous ways by using your advice and I get nothing or a heap of unrelated posts. I have been putting in primary chain adjustment* or primary chain tention* Just can not make it work.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Gotta spell what you are looking for correctly for a start..."tension".

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Sorr Steve I have been trying for 1.5 hours and this is the most difficult search function I have ever come across. Who ever programmed it must have done so just to hurt and fustrate people who are not computer experts. I am trying to search for any info on the "Norman Hyde 12" brake conversion" for T140's as I wish to upgrade my stock unit but can not find anything that resembles the kit on the search. Funny thing I can restore a complete motorcycle to a reasonable standard but can't get this search to work why was it made so difficult?

Born To Run
OP Offline
Born To Run
rf -

I'd try the least common denominator. Search "Norman Hyde" or "Brake conversion", then cull through those posts.....

The sofware does have its limitations....something we have to live with I suppose.

Steve

'77 T140J

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I spent a long time with this search function and I sorry to say its crap. In the end I went to Google and that found it for me on Britbike.com. No problem without fuss now what does that say about the search function ? Rest of site is 10/10 thanks for all the tips etc....kind regards

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Great advice!

So why when I do a boolean search for "Boyer +current" do I get a "match" from a thread on chains which only contains the word "currently?!?"
Worthless!

Knowledge speaks. Wisdom listens.

72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
While we are complaining about the seach function, I'd like to add that any search engine worth its salt has an option to search for posts by a given user name. It is very handy.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I would also add that if posters would put a subject that was meaningful like "primary chain adjustment" or "no spark" I think the search engine would have a better chance to find meaninful posts when you are looking for similar topics. Subjects like "Help!!" and "Newbie needs info" don't do much from a search results, POV.

respectfully submitted,
Rob

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Good point, Rob. I was once searching for info on a conical rear hub and didn't find what I was looking for until I typed "comical" into the search.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by 79T140E
I am struggling with the search feature. I am trying to find threads about diagnosing black spark plugs. I'm sure it has been talked about before, but like I say, I'm struggling with the search feature. I read Jubeeprince's tutorial but no luck. My problem is that my plugs are very black and I'm wondering how to lean my MK11's out.

I can't give advice about your AMAL, but was wondering why you are having trouble with the search function. It doesn't seem to matter if I search for MKII, MKii, Mk11 or even MK 11. I get hundreds of results. Maybe you are putting in too many keywords in your search? Although the built-in search function only goes back 5 years, you can always bring up older results using google. Just type in your search string, then a space, followed by site:britbike.com, which will go back further than 5 years, and will even get you the stuff on the Old BritBike Forum. It is surprising how long some of these gents have been passing out helpful yet free advice.

For an example, the search parameters in this screen capture shown below, restricting your search only to the Triumph board, and only to posts by John Healy, but asking for the past five years, will bring up 109 hits for "MKII:

[Linked Image]

HTH, Ray

Originally Posted by JubeePrince
Ray,

Nice illustration! You should copy and paste it to the Search Tutorial that's a sticky post on this forum!

Cheers,

Steve

O.K., Steve, here it is. Your instructions helped me a lot, but sometimes people want a "quick and dirty" example.

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
I was putting too much and the wrong words in the description. Thanks Ray. I am going to clean the plugs, go for ride at 1/2 throttle , kill the engine and check the plugs. I,ll let you guys know what happens.

Ride safe today!
Ride safe today!
FYI, i increased search period to max 10 years and the shortest word is 4 characters. Remember to use +before if you use more than one word.

Last edited by Morgan; 09/29/13 11:54 am.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Support Britbike forum & upgrade your membership
------------------------------
Join our British motorcycle forum on Facebook
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
simple, one-word search: "clutch. In forum, Triumph. ie. this one. response:

"We encountered a problem. The reason reported was
Database error only visible to forum administrators

Please click back to return to the previous page. "

maybe some help for me?

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I remember that there was a thread on the BSA forum entitled "What is your favorite BSA?". The other day I went looking for it with the Search function. I restricted my search to the BSA forum, specified "in title only" and "newer than 10 years", and entered the keyword "favorite BSA".

The search returned around 200 entries, NONE of which contained "favorite BSA" or "favorite" in the title!

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Born To Run
OP Offline
Born To Run
Originally Posted by linker48x
maybe some help for me?

linker -

just saw this. perhaps a software/DB glitch that day? worked fine for me....

Steve

'77 T140J

Born To Run
OP Offline
Born To Run
Originally Posted by Mark Z
I remember that there was a thread on the BSA forum entitled "What is your favorite BSA?". The other day I went looking for it with the Search function. I restricted my search to the BSA forum, specified "in title only" and "newer than 10 years", and entered the keyword "favorite BSA".

The search returned around 200 entries, NONE of which contained "favorite BSA" or "favorite" in the title!

Hi Mark -

Did you use the quotation marks (") correctly?

Here's what happened to me when I forgot one of the quotation marks:

Search Screen:

[Linked Image]

Results:

[Linked Image]

Like you, I did not get ANY 'favorite BSA' thread....

When I enter the quotation marks correctly:

[Linked Image]

I get what I'm looking for:

[Linked Image]

Try it again! smile

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Read the intro post. Sorry, didn't live up to the title: "A Brief Tutorial...."

Not brief at all. If the purpose of writing is to communicate, then the effort was lost.

73 T140V;
02 Ducati ST4s
DOPE
DOPE
the search function is quirky.

use a lot of trial and error, and separate terms with quotation marks. eventually it will sort-of work for you.

never the first time.

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
I just can't believe how useless the search FUNCTION is!
(And, yes I've read and re-read the tips, and I'm on many other forums which all 'search' well).
No reflection at all on the people who build this site, but somehow the back-end just ain't working is it!
Try for example searching 'drive chain'. Are we to believe that there are no posts containing those words?

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Just did it again, -I got 200 results, but none are about drive chains!
Did you check that those 8220 results contained information about drive chains Les?
I assume it must be my end... seems weird though.

BTW are we talking about the same thing? -I'm referring to the 'internal' SEARCH function. You've put in a link to an external Google search. ?

Last edited by Joolstacho; 01/09/17 8:55 pm.
S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi Jools,

Originally Posted by Joolstacho
Try for example searching 'drive chain'. Are we to believe that there are no posts containing those words?
(And, yes I've read and re-read the tips,

Errrm ... On the Search page, if you click on "Advanced Search Tips" beside "Keyword Search Terms", a small page comes up with three "Tips". The last is, "Use quotes around a phrase to search for a phrase". I just tried "drive chain" (including the quotes) and got the "Your search for '"drive chain"' returned 200 results." message and links to the first 25.

Btw, the top message is yours in this thread ... wink

When all else fails, RTFM? grin

Hth.

Regards,

J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Thanks Stuart, as you say "RTFM"!
I hadn't understood the significance of including the quote marks around the search words, I'd assumed it would pick up either or both of those words if typed without quotes. Now I know.
Cheers
Jools

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com