Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Bob S Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
i am thinking about replaceing my right knee. my question is; do you find there is any pain.......or anything i should know about this procedure, in regards to "starting a bike" better or is this a bad idea
bob s smile

Last edited by bsatri32; 10/03/08 1:21 pm.

Bob S
Street Rods, Kustom Kars,A BSA,Cushmans,H.Shadow ACE, Now a 2004 triumph america . "More than enough!!!!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
A client / friend of mine had it done three weeks ago. Reason: a 20-years ago motorcycle accident. His own knee had lost the soft tissue which forms the lining (don't know the english word). He could not walk stairs any more, and even had special permission to use the goods elevator in the plant where he works. I saw him at home two weeks ago and he was still in a chair with his leg up. Day before yesterday I saw him again and he showed me proudly that he could walk up the stairs, using a cane, but painless.

He was under partial (a tube in his back) aneastesia, and so he was consious during the operation. This added to a fast recovery.

One disadvantage his wife mentioned: after he returned home from hospital he was drunk after his first glass of wine. Or is that an advantage? beerchug

Ger B

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I have a friend that has had both of his knees replaced, and he is at least 74 yrs old. It does take a bit of time to recover, and the older that you are the more likely it will take a bit longer. My buddy was back up and around within a month or so, but loves that his pain is gone, and has his moblity back. I suppose that your knee will become a barometer of sorts and you'll know when bad weather appoaches. At least it's getting to be the time of year to get something like this done. If my friend at 74 yrs old can now climb onto the top of campers, you should be able to kick start a bike, but that sounds like a question for you doctor. Look at it this way... you'll be walking around with a set of those freaky compression stockings on a few days after surgery... you'll hafta get us a set of pics! So where are you thinking of getting this done? Best of luck.

B
Bob S Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
thanks fellas .............i walk good ...but bending and walking compounds everything!!! includeing the pain.I would hate to replace a knee, then kick my bikes and start the whole mess over.I really hate!!!! to let my b.b's bikes go, ..........sad part is; it was my stupid act that got them there.i'am going to ST Joes hospital [when i go] in Ann rbor mich. well ypsilanti is where it actually is.The other thing is i've had 18 surgerys , or give or take, and a lot of anestetic. She thinks thats not a good thing.

i have had my right hip relpaced.......now that kicking i did last march...NEVER..hurt at all from k/s the triumph as i was restoreing her. so i try to relate that fact to a new knee, and it sounds like its the right thing to do.....or just switch to all electric start bikes.. frown smile
bob s

Bob S
Street Rods, Kustom Kars,A BSA,Cushmans,H.Shadow ACE, Now a 2004 triumph america . "More than enough!!!!
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Hi Bob

You know, I would ask those questions to the doctor that knows about this stuff. They may say kick starting isn't a good thing to do, or they may say no worries - but asking them is like asking John Healy about your Bonnie - straight shooting answers. Make sure your doc knows what is involved if he isn't a biker.

Good luck mon ami,

Blapper redwine

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Hi Bob,

Just to sound a word of warning--a good friend of mine from high school (a LONG time ago) has had three knee replacements, all on the same knee. She has a reaction to the procedure or something, and they just seem not to heal. She had a hip replacement and it went great, but her knees seem to not want the artificial material near them. Not saying it will happen, just wanted to throw a little warning in there--as we all know, there are no guarantees when dealing with doctors. If you want, I can easily have my friend Sydell e-mail you about her experiences---she'll do it if I ask her.

Quick question--I know it isn't the approved method, but could you start a Triumph twin with your other leg? Awkward, but it seems possible...just a thought. I'd hate to think of anyone having to give up bikes--I sold my collection when my heart was really bad, and I really regret it now!

Just my input. I hope whatever you decide you get to keep the bikes!

Barb (Three MustGetBeers)
"Midnight girl in a sunset town.."

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
Pip the Triumph (I have "Great Expectations!")
Jaelith the '77 XS650/chair
The unnamed '79 XS650 with...potential
Millie the R80 BMW--she's "Thoroughly Modern"
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I know that not all replacements are created equal, and neither are doctors. My mom has had her hips replaced twice, both sides, and the first 2 or 3 just wasn't designed good, literally wore out. I can't say how knee's hold up, I'd definately do some homework before leaping. 18 surgeries huh? wow.. I really dislike going under the knife! I feel for you. Personlly, I'd appoint someone to be my offical bike kicker dude(pay him in food or brew), and only ride it when I knew that someone could start it for me. It would be better than selling your favorite ride, less pain than surgery. You might hafta get a bike that has electric start. Who knows? Maybe you'll take a liking to a new Triumph! Varoom! Let's see... pay medical bills, or buy new ride? hummm!

G
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
G
The fellow I wrote about earlier, was told that his new knee would last him between ten and fifteen years, depending on use.

Ger B

B
Bob S Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Thanks BARB------------yes please do, have your friend email me, if she really wants to!!.i would like to hear anything that i can do,me any good right now,on my the knee, and knowing what to do.
I called my wife about 4 weeks into recovery.and told her . Dear i sez; you will never guess what i just did.......but not as bad. you guessed it. I sprained the muscle in the back side of the good knee.
She didn't say much other than; You just won't learn til your in a wheel chair, and then.......you won't be able to drive your "hot rods". that made me think~~~

I got that knee back on track in a couple of weeks. i REALLY LIKE MY BRITS....BUT IF THEIR GOING TO KILL ME!!1 i may have to build that "55 chevy" i've been thinking about.I won't have trouble selling the triumph, 2 guys at this point want it, they tell me its one of the nicest 70`s they have looked at. not yet i tell them , but i'll keep you in mind.
thanks for your reply... and your genuine concern barb....., your an angel in disguise
bob s smile

Last edited by bsatri32; 10/04/08 5:18 pm.

Bob S
B
Bob S Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Mitch-------------You have some good ideas there.i have buddies that i have breakfast with a couple times aweek,but they are all older, i'm afraid they might tear somethin up then i'd feel terrible.

My oldest son works all the time...but he said ;Dad all you have to do is call and i'll be there to start it.i watche my middle son kick it one sunday when he was here, Damn MITCH ...I DIDN'T REALIZE HOW OLD I WAS GETTIN,I'M NOT THAT OLD BUT YOU DO START LOSEING YOUR STRENGHT , AND THAT DON'T HEL MATTERS ANY forrget the capitol letters [forgot to turn off the button again]

To all the good folks here who have helped me think of some alternatives, thank you all i really appreciate folks like you!!!!!!! grin

Bob S
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
I know what you mean when you say that old age sneaks up on you. Myself, my troubles is complicated by the fact that I have diabeties also,(thanks mom and dad) which suprised me. My grand dad had a very nice 55 chevy when I was a youngster... two tone paint... no rust, sweet. Too bad that no one in the family snatched it up.

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Hi Bob,

Not a problem--I'll e-mail Syddie tonight. But, of course, I need an e-mail address to give her. If you prefer, you can PM me and I will forward it. She also is diabetic and has fibro-myalgia, but you'd never know it from her attitude. She's really an up-beat lady, as you will no doubt find out. Oh, and the last time I was down there, she climbed into my sidecar (with her husband's help) and went for a ride!

I'll look for an e-mail addy.

Meanwhile, don't sell your Triumph just yet. How about some starter-rollers in your garage, and only park on hills? Something will work!

Hang in!

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Bob, I'm not a doctor but I am a surgical tech. If you are in good physical condition and have good bone density you should be in good shape. The best advice I can give you is do your physical therapy as you are told. Don't try to over do it, but do as much as you are allowed. Tell your Dr. your concerns about starting your bikes. The polyethelene or plastic spacers that go between the two metal parts come in a few different configurations depending on what brand of knee he uses. He may be able to customize your knee to your needs to give it more stability when kicking your bike over. Again, and I cannot stress this enough most of it is up to you and your physical therapy after the surgery. Just because it feels better in a week or two doesnt mean you should try to start your bike just to see if you can. Wait till the Dr. tells you that it is OK.
Hope some of this helps.
Jess

Aim small; miss small!
59' RE Indian Chief
B
Bob S Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
barb...........i have been super busy as of late. heres an address you can give. [email protected]
bob s

Bob S
B
Bob S Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
Jess...............i have a good time with surgerys it seems. The latest being june29,........i still can't start the bonne.

i'm thinking on keeping the bonne til spring at least. i really am not sure at this point.but she[wife] thinks i should sell it, cause i may just be tryin to prove to myself that i can k/s a bike again. And to her thats the wrong thing to do, did you understand that last paragraph,[not sure i did!
ihave guys calling ther fore making it hard to decide. thanks for you concern jess. they never gave me any p.t. at the last 5 surgerys i've had , hands, wrists, , hip , knee.trigger finger. :?I should think next spring to be log enough,when he said 6 weeks he was way off!!
bob s

Last edited by bsatri32; 10/07/08 5:53 pm.

Bob S
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Hi Bob,

I'll e-mail my friend right now. I've talked with her, and she is more than willing to relay her experiences, which, to be fair, aren't the normal ones.

I'll let her know this afternoon.

Y'know--remember Ann-Margaret? She had a T120 with an electric started fitted--quite a job, I bet, but it might be worth it...

Whatever will work...

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
B
Bob S Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
thank you ......much barb!!!!
bob s smile

Bob S
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Hi Bob,

My friend Syd tried to email you today and it bounced. I guess I could try it, but is there any chance it isn't correct? Odd, huh?

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
B
Bob S Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
B
barb -----------i got the email 6 times. thank you. Already replyed to her.
bob s smile

Bob S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
After living with pain in my left knee for more than five years, I had my left knee replaced in November 2005. The biggest challenge was the after surgery P/T! They gave me no slack! But today, no pain, I can get up from a low sofa using my legs! I used to have to roll onto the floor and crawl up the sofa arm. My right knee is not hurting but is exhibiting early problems and will have to be done in another few years (assuming I'm still here)
My Triumph 750 K/S slipped the ratchet once and my extended right leg hit the bottom..hard! That may have exacerbated its problems.
My Doctor gave me no restrictions on the new knee, in fact said; Do anything you want! I would certainly agree with Jesse M, let your doctor know your plans, needs. Over all mine was a terrific success! One problem; it's a full pat down every time you fly! Cheers and good luck!

1979 T140E
1994 Cadillac ETC

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com