Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Al Eckstadt
Al Eckstadt
Jordan, NY
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#202974 07/12/05 1:53 am
In Remembrance
OP Offline
In Remembrance
The AMA MC Hall of Fame museum in Pinkerington Oh. has an interesting exibit covering the history and development of motocross racing. Several bikes caught my eye and I'm sharing a couple of pics here. Now both of these have a BSA SCT gearbox, but I've never heard of the Monarch
[Linked Image]
OR the Lito either......but then again, I've led a sheltered life.. :rolleyes:
[Linked Image]

GOLD S-TARvin
OVBSAOC # 1625
1960 DBD34 Gold Star
1956 DB34 Gold Star
1969 Bonneville
several basket case Triumphs
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Ride safe today!
Ride safe today!
The Monark factory was jus 45 minutes away from me and the Lito factory two hours ride away.

Don't have that much info in English but check this out
http://www.hedlunds-motor.se/english/

after you read the english text click on below

http://www.hedlunds-motor.se

and then on the menu links to

Lito
Union
Monark
Huskvarna

it's all in Swedish but lot of pictures

Morgan Johansson
BritBike.com.
Support Britbike forum & upgrade your membership
------------------------------
Join our British motorcycle forum on Facebook
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Tarvin ... Thanks for sharing the photos. Got more?

I remember reading about the Husqvarna four stroke MX bikes they had developed prior to their 2 stroke production bikes in the late '60s. But I don't remember ever having seen one. I suspect they were a very limited production bike?

I still have fond memories of my '69 400 Husky. The greatest 'utility' dirt bike I ever owned. In those days I would push it a block from home, putt it 'quietly' a ways and Wahoo, WFO into my desert playground. I trail rode it 1-2-3 times a week, raced 'local' MX and a few desert races. Wearing my b'gawd Made in Sweden, "Torsten Halman", leather pants too! That 400 was near unbreakable, unlike the later and much faster CR360 "Mag", Husky...

I'm sure most of you know about the 'modern' 4 stroke Huskys and their variants made in Italy these days. Husabergs are quite popular with the desert racers these days.

Hey Morgan .. I was doing my best to boost the Swedish GNP in those days as we had a Husqvarna dirt bike, chain saw and sewing machine! Only my SO's sewing machine is left now ...

But never fear, during all of this goings on there was a pair of BSA Gold Stars gathering dust in the garage, waiting just waiting till 'the time was right'. yeah ....

gee I apologize for 'wandering off' on this thread .. but you know how we are sometimes.
dave - NV

Dave - NV
In Remembrance
OP Offline
In Remembrance
Uhhh ....Ray, me too on the Mann creations. This is a Mann built active raffle bike. Love that tank eh?! I was all over this one and while not perfect, I'd sure take it home.
[Linked Image]

GOLD S-TARvin
OVBSAOC # 1625
1960 DBD34 Gold Star
1956 DB34 Gold Star
1969 Bonneville
In Remembrance
OP Offline
In Remembrance
Ok......More you say? This ones for you Dave, I got a feeling you'd like the Cheney GS on display.
It helped make my day. The museum was probably reviewing the cameras since I crossed the ropes to get a closer look at this one.
[Linked Image]

THEN......there was the Cheney Triumph 500. Another beauty IMHO!!!!!!
[Linked Image]

GOLD S-TARvin
OVBSAOC # 1625
1960 DBD34 Gold Star
1956 DB34 Gold Star
1969 Bonneville
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Nice stuff , thanks for posting pics , gonna have to check that place out some day ...
I hear there is a pretty nice Goldie out front of that place occasionally , didnt happen to get a pic of that did you ??
-BONZO

P
paw Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Hi, Yes that was really nice pictures of old 4-stroke mx bikes there.

I have some old Swedish mx bikes including two Monark 500cc also. Both of them have apparently been used by the Swedish mx driver Sten Lundin from the beginning, he was twice World Champion. Monark only had works riders on these big 500cc mx bikes, they were not for sale from the beginning.

I attach a picture below of one of my Monarks, Lundin probably used this Monark in some races in competition for world title.
Sten Lundin took his first mx 500cc world title in 1959 on a Monark. I know that a Monark that Lundin used in 1959 was sold to Switzerland long ago.

1961 Lundin took his second mx 500cc world title with Lito, the bike he mostly used that year was a Monark from the beginning. In 1961 Monark ended their competition with 500cc mx bikes

I recognize the Lito in the beginning of this topic, it is John Sawazhki´s from Colorado. When I heard from him last time he had a collection of over 400 bikes. It was said that the gem in his collection was the Lito.

The Monark in the same beginning of this topic looks as it can be a late built replica.

Also a link here to a Swedish website with another Lito MotoCross and including a Classic Bike article with Sawazhki and his Lito plus some about Sten Lundin : LITO WEB SITE

One of my Monark 500cc MotoCross bikes: [img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=9052kfkGE&i=70182[/img]

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yes, that's John Sawazhki's #36 Lito.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

It was a friend of mine Sean Largey, who discovered a stash of Lito X-cam engine castings in a warehouse on the west coast.

For those who like Mann creations, how about a Dick Mann Monark replica.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

He was riding this bike in the Flat River Grand Prix south of St. Louis some 10-12 years ago. Entered in the hare scrambles which was I think 2 or 3 laps of an 11 mile course, as usual he ran away and left guys less than half his age eating dust! Typical Bugsy!

[Linked Image]

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Oh, and while we're on the subject of classic Swedish 4 stroke MX bikes, some more shots of the Hedlund.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

P
paw Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Hi "J in KC"
Interesting info and pictures from you....
Here I have a few Lito X-cam engine parts also, see pictures below. If you still have contact with someone having X-cam parts, it whould be interesting coming in contact ...

The Dick Mann Monark replica on your pictures with BSA bottom end is good looking also, it is some other type of "home made" cylinder on that replica. When Mann was in Europe a couple of years ago on classic mx racing and driving with that type of Monark replica, he had put on a right type of cylinder on it.

A couple of years earlier I sent a lot of mx parts to John Sawazhki including that right type of original cylinder for the BSA bottom end.

A Swedish "SOH" mx chassis from the 1960´s and Lito push rod engine parts with very rare magnesium crankcase was also sent from me to Sawazhki at that time, he sold that project further to another mx racer.

Lito X-cam parts:
[img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=9052kfkGE&i=70162[/img]

In Remembrance
OP Offline
In Remembrance
Paw,
Went back and finally seen your machine today. :bigt:
Very Nice, to say the least! I would love to run it up and down the road a few times listening to it sing with that straight-thru pipe.

GOLD S-TARvin
OVBSAOC # 1625
1960 DBD34 Gold Star
1956 DB34 Gold Star
1969 Bonneville
P
paw Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Hi GOLD S-TARvin,
Yes the sound is like music.
This Monark is in need of restoration also.
I send a picture from the left side of it here.
The exhaust pipe on it now is a new replica that is not exactly as the original, another pipe in the right model should be made for it.

Monark 500 MotoCross, left side [img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=9052kfkGE&i=82095[/img]

Old magazine picture with Sten Lundin on one of his Monark 500 mx bikes with the equipment at that time [img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=9052kfkGE&i=110023[/img]

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hello Paw,

Beautiful Monark, I wouldn't change a thing, old warhorses deserve a few scars (dings, dents, scratches), it gives them character.

[Linked Image]

Is that a BTH mag, and are the Norton forks original? Another question about Swedish manufacturers use of British components, ie. Lito and Monark with BSA transmissions, cases, and Husky with Norton gearbox etc.

[Linked Image]

Were there formal ties, or did they just pick and choose parts as needed?

Sorry, can't help you with X-cam parts. Knowing Sean, the stash he discovered was sold soon afterwards, that's why the blurb appeared in Classic Bike magazine, and unfortunately I have not seen or heard from him for many years.

On the Dick Mann Monark replica, when I spoke to him about it, he said the head was Monark and he had made the cylinder himself out of billet.

P
paw Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Hi J in KC,
Yes that is a BTH mag on my Monark above.
As I mentioned above, the exhaust pipe on it is a new replica. It was mounted on the bike by the previous owner and it is in wrong shape and the old exhaust pipe was thrown away sadly.

The makers of these big 4-stroke Monark´s, Lito´s and Husqvarna´s were using parts from different other makers after what was considered to be the best functioning parts. Some of them used AMC gearboxes, as several of the drivers prefered that.

I attach two pictures below of another Monark 500 MotoCross "warhorse" at display in a museum I visited recently, this bike is mostly in old original shape. This Monark was driven by the Swedish Lasse Gustafsson. In 1958, he was the first foreign driver to win a mx race at Hawkstone Park in England.

[img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=9052kfkGE&i=105359[/img] [img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=9052kfkGE&i=105361[/img]

P
paw Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Hi again, A picture below of the Husqvarna 500cc mx bike that won the world title in 1962 and 63 with the rider Rolf Tibblin.
It is the same engine type as the Monark and Lito 500cc pushrod engines in this topic. The crankcase on these engines is of old Sturmey Archer origin, but the crankcase casting is much reinforced by adding material under the cylinder base.

Between 1957-65 the mx machines with this type of engine took 5 Gold, 5 Silver and 5 Bronze in the individual World Championship 500cc motocross, all the drivers were just from Sweden.
In 1962 for example, these machines took the 5 first places in World Championship.
Then there were also a number of Swedish team wins in "motocross des nations" championship with these Monark, Lito and Husqvarna motocross bikes.

[img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=9052kfkGE&i=103549[/img]

P
paw Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Hi again,
I heard that this Lito from Sten Lundin recently was sold to a mx collector in USA (this specific bike was a Monark from the beginning). This shall be the bike that Lundin won his second world title with 1961.

The new owner in USA of this Lito from Sten Lundin have a very fine website with old mx bikes: http://www.mxworksbike.com/Lito.htm

Picture below of this Lito from Sten Lundin, when it still was in Sweden at a museum display:

[img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=9052kfkGE&i=82018[/img]

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Beautiful bikes!

I just love thumpers!!!

Some day an AJS or Matchless TCS, just might follow me home... some day.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Per,

Ran across these the other day while looking for something else, figured you might appreciate.

1966 Desmo Lito Metisse

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

P
paw Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Hi J in KC,
Yes your pictures above are of the Lito x-cam engine in Metisse frame, thanks.
Here I attach pictures from magazine with the x-cam engine in Lito´s own "x-frame" of aluminium alloy with joints in magnesium that were glued together. I think I have read that the dry weight with this frame was under 100 kilogram. The engine gave about 50 hp at peak (but bad low end power). The clutch is mounted on the engine crank, making it flywheel at the same time.
The development of this construction stopped of financial reasons and at the same time (1966-67) the 2-strokes were taking over the motocross for a long period ......

[img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=9052kfkGE&i=103360[/img] [img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=9052kfkGE&i=103361[/img]

Valvetrain and clutch:
[img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=9052kfkGE&i=103364[/img]

T
Novice poster
Novice poster
T
Hi,
I am new here. I am the one who bought the Sten Lundin Lito. I have posted some info and photos of Sten riding the bike at Saxtorp. I also plan to do a bike feature on the bike soon and an indepth interview with Sten. I will post it here when it is done. Here's the link to the Saxtorp ride. BTW, this is a very nice forum.

http://www.mxworksbike.com/Lito.htm

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Too bad the two-strokes took over in the late 60's, they put a lot of singles out of production. Sure would have liked to hear one of these bikes really gettin' on it!

Nice pictures and history!

Thanks,
Kyle

Kyle#44x

1969 T100R Daytona
2005 CRF450 flattracker (w/Athena 490 big bore)
2002 Yamaha TTR250 (woods/hare scramble)
P
paw Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Hi,
Very beautiful pictures and nice info about your Lito from Sten Lundin at your website "T-Bond"!
Yes "kboyd" that is right, it is a fantastic sound from these engines, like best music.
Totally about 10 Monark 500cc motocross bikes were built according to Swedish magazine articles. They were all works bikes. Monark had 5 works riders on these machines, all from Sweden.
I recognize the front forks on the Lito from Sten. I also have a front forks of the same model. Apparently these two front forks are the only made of this type. They were specially made for motocross and developed by Sten Lundin at Ceriani factory.
I attach another picture here of my Monark MotoCross that apparently was used by Sten Lundin from the beginning (restorations needed). It has Sten Lundin´s initials "SL" stamped on the crankcase also.

[img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=9052kfkGE&i=82066[/img]

T
Novice poster
Novice poster
T
Hey Paw,
Very nice Monark. I would leave that bike as original as possible especially any paint. What year did Sten ride that? I think my Sten Lundin Lito is the last Monark made while the factory was open (before Lito). I think he told me that. I have heard the Monark Lito story from Sten as well. It is a great story. I am going to interview him and publish the interview on the web site. It should be a real good read. There is even a special story about those ceriani forks.

P
paw Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Hey T-Bond,

Regarding the Monark on picture above, I have not talked with Sten about it myself yet. It is only informations from other persons I have heard and read about it so far. I do not have informations regarding which year this Monark was built either.
When the previous owner took part in a motorcycle exhibition with it, Sten was taking a look on it but could not remember for sure if it was his from the beginning. Sten said that he could see that the system for the rear braking was like he had on one Monark bike. It is quite a long time ago now since these bikes were made in the 1950´s, so it can be difficult to remember also.
A Monark that Sten used in 1959, when he won his first world championship, was sold to Schweiz soon after that win. But it seems like Sten used two Monark bikes in 1959?
I think it is best to say for now that it is not 100 % sure regarding who was the first rider of this Monark I have on picture above. I shall do more research about it.

Earlier, before I had this Monark pictured above, I was talking some with Sten Lundin about the other Monark 500 mx bike I have and showed him pictures of it. After some thinking, Sten said that it was his from the beginning and that he used it for training. I asked him if he had used that Monark in some racing heat for world championship, but no answer about that. I shall take pictures of that Monark also, it is in big need of restorations. It is lightened (in the late 1960´s) in the same way as the Monark 500 mx Sten still have.

On the Monark picture above, it can be seen on the frame construction at the stearing head that it is an early Monark frame as it does not have the upper tube going from stearing head rearwards under the tank. There are two strenghtening plates going rearwards at each side of the stearing head instead.
My Monark on the picture above does not have the original paint left. Original paint is darker blue and looks a bit like metallic colour.
I have not seen any frame number on that frame, it can be there under thick layers of paint.
The engine have a number from Monark and "SL" (for Sten Lundin) engraved.

T-Bond, is it a number on the frame and engine on your LITO from Sten?

I shall also look closer on my front forks that is in exact same special model as on your LITO. I have been told that this forks I have was Sten Lundin´s from the beginning also and that Sten only had these two forks of this special Ceriani model. I wonder if it has longer suspension travel compared to the usual Ceriani from the same period, as the lower legs are longer with the wheel axle moved up a bit at the front.
Italian MV Augusta roadracing machines from about 1955-59 had similar front forks and I know that MV wanted Sten to work for them with development of a motocross machine, but Sten wanted to continue work for Monark.
Sten got good connections at Ceriani factory and he helped them develop forks with good characteristics for motocross.

I write a little more info about Lito, in case some interested people does not know about it:
When the works factory manager Mr Warborn at Monark factory died, the factory decided to stop with mx racing. Warborn had been uncle to the owner of the Lito factory, Bornebusch.
When Monark stopped the racing with these mx bikes, Lito continued with the same construction and built bikes for sale also, with the same type of engine as the Monark above.
Earlier, Lito was building mx engines with BSA Gold Star bottom and the same cylinder-head as on the Monark 500 mx machines. The BSA bottom end is not so strong as the Albin crankcase used on Monark 500 mx engines and later Lito engines, also used on Husqvarna.

The total number of original 500cc Lito mx machines built was between 30-35, they were really expensive.

The cylinder-head on these Lito and Monark 500cc mx machines, and corresponding Husqvarna and Hedlund mx engines, is based on an old Husqvarna design from 1935 that was fitted to a sporty roadster.
That Husqvarna head was designed by the same constructur who designed the Husqvarna TT racing machines in the 1930´s.
In 1942 the head was used again, with some small modifications, in the production of the Swedish "Albin" army engine.
Some years later a small number of roadster bikes were produced in Sweden called Union with the same type of head (introducing excentric axles for the rockers as on these mx engines).
This head has good shape on the channels that give good power and torque with the suiting cams over a wide rpm range.

LITO also built a few complete mx bikes with BSA-LITO engine in frames that were made by Monark.
I attach a picture below of an old Swedish built motocross machine I had with BSA-LITO engine in a "SOH" frame (the exhaust pipe with special connection to the head is a later modification that is not any good). As can be seen on the picture, the bike is really in need of restoraton.
Lito factory sold a small number of BSA-LITO engines here in Sweden for putting in different frames.

BSA-LITO engine in "SOH" frame below, for restoring .....
[img]http://www.imageuploads.net/ims/pic.php?u=9052kfkGE&i=115966[/img]

T
Novice poster
Novice poster
T
Paw,
Yes the serial number on my Lito is a matching set and it is from Sten. It is a Monark number though because it was originally a Monark. I think he told me it was the last one built in 1960.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan G 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com