Britbike forum

Classic British Spares Klempf British PartsBaxter Cycle BritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM Engineering Lucas Classic Motorcycle Industrial tec supply Hepolite Pistons The Bonneville ShopLowbrow Customs

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Myles Raymond
Myles Raymond
Glasgow, Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Top Posters(30 Days)
quinten 89
Rohan 66
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
quinten 13
Newest Members
vanGinneke, Gearhard, yornocT120R, robert wilby, Jonah A
11,839 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
4 members (L.A.B., Hillbilly bike, triton thrasher, BeezaBryan), 24 guests, and 77 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20117 01/26/07 6:32 pm
J
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Good idea or bad idea in a 1967 A65L? How's one work, anyway?

BSA on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Most are actually just capacitors as far as I know. They just keep a little charge to help the alternator out. Not a good idea, Ive been told, if going to electronic ignition. Though I hear some people do run with electronic ignition...

As with everything, do a search, I know it gets brought up often enough that you'll find several threads on the do's and don'ts...

tonupnorcal
- 1968 Norton Atlas
- 1965 BSA A65 Lightning
- 1970 Triumph TR25W

"Everything in moderation... Including moderation!"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
They work OK if you don't have lights, if you have lights make space for a small battery.

99% of carb problems are electrical.

1959 3TA

BMW R1150 Oilhead
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I was using a Boyer Power Box on an A-65 with high output single phase alternator and it worked very well . The bike would start in two kicks usually , 1 kick key off and one kick key on , as long as I paid attention to the drill . The downside I saw was the tail lamp , with lights on the bike had a tendency to stall when the brake light came on at low engine speed , this was cured by installing an led tail lamp . The bigger problem I found with this was trouble shooting , an intermittent problem , with no battery will drive ya nuts , an epic battle with partially failing front brake light switch had me installing a small battery .

FWIW-BONZO

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
The no batt. will work but, it's really a dumb idea...stick with the batt...they will run better...no batt, will cause a no start..for sure..if you do run a no batt. and it won't start ..you got to put a like 2.0 amp charger on it then it will go..the no Batt. deal is just a pain in the as-...

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I've got a Boyer PowerBox, electronic ignition and coil on my TR6C and it works a treat. Sure the headlights dim at traffic lights but other than that it's brill. (I've got a 45w headlight and one of Paul Goff's excellent LED rear lights).

For trouble shooting I just use a multimeter and a couple of cheapo 6v torch batteries - sorted!

IMHO it's certainly not a dumb idea if a) you don't use the bike daily (no battery charging to worry about) and b) you don't do a lot of night riding (and need a halogen headlight)

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
jakejoseph, You don't say if you're running electronic ignition or not (unless you've mentioned it in another thread ?)

I don't run E.I., but I do run batteryless and have no complaints whatsoever. A Mity Max battery eliminator replaces the zener diode, regulator/rectifier & battery. As Melbourne Metisse mentioned, there's no battery maintainence to deal with. I do happen to run my chop as a daily runner & as long as your rotor/stator are in good shape, the flickering light syndrome is much less apparent.

You could also run a tympanium instead of a Mity Max, the only difference being that you'd have to run a capacitor as well.

"Factory Stock Is A Suggestion Only"
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
i have been wrenching on brit bikes for about 38 years. after all these new gadgets (elec ign) that has come out peolpe still think that elec ignition with a capacitor do not work with out a battery. i have used a capacitor wothout a battery with electronic ignition for years. for dirt bike or daytime use they work without a battery just fine. we put thousands of miles in the desert with this setup with no problem at all. one thing most people forget is all the connections. use solder use solder use solder
using 6 volt coils is even better although the small diameter 12 volt late models will also work

just my 2 cents

sj

68 A65L 1905 BSA Martini
67 T120R 1944 BSA 303 Enfiled
73 TR5T 68 A65S
62 T100 54 M105A2
71 A65FS 78 M880
66 A65H 67 M35A2
68 A65FS

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com