Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/08/23 12:00 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 90
DavidP 87
kevin 56
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 32
Lannis 26
DavidP 26
Newest Members
Igloo, patrickblue, j-bud, Uneasy Rider, Mally
12,395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,566
Posts784,685
Members12,395
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
dez Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
its only the front loop im bothered about, not the swingarm subframe, etc. as i plan to stick a rigid frame section on.

is there anything that will make it unsuitabe for my project?? ile be attaching a '68-ish a65 engine, tank and forks, and a rigid rear frame section.

British motorcycles on eBay
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I don't think 68ish forks will work without some modifications on a 65 frame. seems to have been some discussions on this awhile ago, do a search if no one comments..

Good luck, I just modified a 69 tree to accept 71 fork bottoms, cool... as it bolts right on the 69 and has a better look (alloy bottoms)

Mike Carter

dez Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
i think, but am not 100% sure, i can use early trees with the later fork legs?? i dont mind about modification, ive never owned a stock vehicle of any sort in my life!!! i just wanted to know if its going to be a shitload of work, or wether it will all just bolt up!

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Dez, not avoiding you it is I have only messed with 67 up on BSA's and only know for certain that the fork legs are a different mm than the newer ones and stem of tree is different as well. You will have to look at tree stem and mm of fork leg hole to see if it is a straight swap. It is easier to use the trees and adapt the legs by using a tapered bit to enlarge top and possibly bottom tree, I say bottom only because the bottom of tree is usually a split circle and you can open up to allow larger mm fork legs.

Cheers man and sounds like a cool project, mine is taking forever but it keeps me out of the doghouse. laugh

Mike Carter

dez Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
well, as i cant find any other frame, i may just have to go with this one, and 'make' it all fit!!
betwwen the early and late trees i should eb able to get it all working!!

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I wasnt aware of the front fork issue. I have probably a dozen sets of trees for A-65 and never paid a lot of attention , but I dont notice much difference in the stem (fork locks are all overthe place , as well as some other details ?) .B-44 and a-65 are different for sure . Personally , I have a fondness for the Triumph forks of the period , I dont know why , I guess it is the ruber mounted bars and a similar look , and for the most part , grafting forks isnt terribly difficult , you might even want to add a set of tapered steering head bearings while you are there and the bike wont be stock anyway .

FWIW-BONZO

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Dez - When I bought my '66 A65 it had '70 BSA forks/ triple trees and as far as I can tell by looking (and I've had it completely apart to rebuild) they just bolted on without mod.

Will S.
BSAs: '66 & '69 Lightning
Triumphs: '68 TR6R, '68 Bonneville, '73 TR7, '55 6T
'71 Norton Commando

www.britironsd.com

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com