Britbike forum

Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleThe Bonneville ShopLowbrow CustomsGirling Classic MotorcycleLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supplyJob Cycle

Upgrade your membership to Premium Membership or Gold Membership or even Benefactor

New Sponsor post
10% Off Girling at The Bonneville Shop 2/3-2/9/23
by The Bonneville Shop - 02/03/23 6:14 pm
New FAQ post
News & Announcements
Premium members! 🌟
by Morgan aka admin - 02/08/23 12:00 pm
Buy BritBike staff a coffee ☕️ or pint 🍺
by Morgan aka admin - 01/15/23 9:29 am
How to guides - Technical articles
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Member Spotlight
Gordon Gray
Gordon Gray
North Carolina
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 90
DavidP 87
kevin 56
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kev. 32
Lannis 26
DavidP 26
Newest Members
Igloo, patrickblue, j-bud, Uneasy Rider, Mally
12,395 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics76,566
Posts784,685
Members12,395
Most Online204
Jul 10th, 2022
Random Gallery photo
Photo posting tutorial

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hello guys

I need a bit of advice on completely open exhaust systems.
I just removed the Norton peashooters from my Bonnie, cause I want alot more noise than they make.
I have a few concerns though.
I was told that I should propably rejet the carbs to let more fuel in, to avoid overheating, but is this a serious concern, does it really mean that much?
The peashooters are also open all the way through, so I´m thinking there cant be that much of a difference in backpressure for the engine.
That leeds me to another question, cause I bought new downtubes a while ago and immediately from day one they started to turn, first yellow, then blue. I know this is a heat thing, but how much color on the pipes are acceptable?
My old 1954 Thunderbird(Bonneville cams and head) never got any color on the pipes.
I have also noticed that almost every Hinckley Bonnie immediately gets very blue and psychedelic.
I dont wanna hurt my baby, so tell me, is it running too hot when the pipes get blue?
Just one more question here. The pipes are now only hanging in the mount on the head and those small steel things at the front of the engine. Is that enough support? Could the outlet ports in the head get destroyed or work loose? Should I fit a third support under the bike to support the pipes?

Thank you for reading and hopefully sharing your knowledge...

Ducknaldo

Run `em...
1969 T120
Triumphs on eBay
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Don't do it

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Straight through peashooters are loud, I know, I have them, wish they were more quiet.
For the sake of other motorcyclists and your bike, put them back on.
Yes, you would need more support.
Blue pipes can be normal, they should not get red hot. Take a plug reading. There is lots of info on that, on line.

There is nothing more squirrel-like than a bike with standard down-pipes and no mufflers.

Stop the insanity.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I gotta disagree on the peashooters being too loud.
On the old Thunderbird i had American bell-ended megaphones with the end cut of and no baffle. They were really loud and just the down-tubes are not nearly as loud.
I was thinking about buying TT pipes, but I dont really care if they are underlying, so I might as well give straight-trough downtubes a shot.
My pipes are NOT red-hot, but I will go one or two jet sizes up I think, depending on the plug reading.
I will also add some support for the pipes.

Run `em...
1969 T120
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
TT pipes are straight-through, so I dont really see the problem in using them or stock-pipes, if correctly mounted and jetted for it.

Run `em...
1969 T120
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
i have TT pipes on my 70 tr6. i got a ticket yesturday from a park ranger. he stuck a coat hagner in my pipes lookig for baffles.no baffles. yes they are loud, but i like it to. keep it it in mind, that any thing over 92 decibals is illeagal. and yes ,he also gave me a speeding ticket 55 in a 45mph. oh well. the ranger also said i couldnt ride the bike until a state referee signs off on the noise. what bs. think twice before you go for noise. Dan

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I like the noise to and I´m not asking for moral advice here. I know it could have legal consequences, although it never had yet.
But tell me Dan. What size jet is is your AMAL?

Run `em...
1969 T120
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Dan- I suppose that ranger would have said that the standard silencers are no good because he wouldn't find any baffles in them either!
Dave

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
British Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsBSA Unit SinglesPodtronicVintage MagazineBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2023 britbike.com