Hi Dave,
Originally Posted by koan58
Originally Posted by Stuart
Ime, poor reasoning:-

. Capacitors have a limited life. When (not if) the capacitor you paid an extra ten bucks for (and ten bucks for a capacitor seems a lot) expires, you're going to throw away a fifty-buck reg./rec ...?
I think you are on shaky ground here
Nope, you've missed my point:-
Originally Posted by Stuart
Many, many things on these old heaps might stop you getting home. When the capacitor you paid an extra ten bucks for expires, it will take out the battery; far more likely than a modern AGM or gel battery "going out".
... I've been riding for nearly fifty years and driving for nearly forty; I'd have to sit down and have a long think to remember all the vehicles I've ridden and driven, not just on nice smooth first-world tarmac roads. I've never experienced a battery "go out" suddenly, not ever, not even lead-'n'-liquid-acid batteries that spent their entire lives being shaken ridden or driven over unmade tracks. Afaicr, the shortest life I've ever had from a battery was four years from an original Lucas T160 battery - it was accidentally kicked over by the guy who made my first set of Goodridge hoses. Ime, failing batteries ordinarily give plenty of warning.

... Otoh, whichever way you want to theorise, afaict if I'd ever bothered with even a 21st century capacitor, if it failed suddenly, I'd have been stranded.

Originally Posted by koan58
these caps tend to last longer when they are used, rather than sitting idle in a flat discharged circuit for long periods.
Another factor Steve might want to consider, depending how often he plans to use his bike?

Hth.

Regards,