I am constantly amazed by how much you guys know about mechanics and Triumphs - two subjects about which I obviously know very, little.

However, it's pretty obvious that you guys know little about database design or computer programming, a couple of the skills which I have managed to pick up on along the way.

Koan58 - if you actually take a few minutes to look at TED you'll see that I included demonstrations of my program's ability to publish unlimited additional information via hyperlinks. In fact, TED can link every document (RPC, SB, WS Man or any other) in its database to a unique webpage for that document. And that webpage can include text, images, internal links (links to other documents and/or parts in the TED database), and external links - links to anything accessible out there on the internet: a post on a forum, a YouTube video, a web page, an image, or even a sound file. Get it? TED talks. Oh, never mind.

Likewise, TED can link each individual error in the database directly to an image and/or to it's own webpage, which can include text and as many images and as many links to anything else on the Internet as it takes to explain the particulars of an error.

Can a piece of paper in your hand do that? I think not.

Please, look at the demo! I'll walk you through it...

1) Bring up the TED index page (www.hermit.cc/tmc/parts/errors/index.htm)

2) Scroll down to 1969 and the SPC7 parts book entry. Notice TED can keep notes on every document - take the "Document Notes" link

3) Notice that the document notes page can include links to, well, anything.

4) Go back to TED's index and click on the link "6 issues" beneath the TED entry for SPC7..

5) You're now looking at the list of document errors for SPC7.

6) Click on the "Error Notes" link for the last error in the list (Error #100204)

7) Now you're looking at the demo notes on error 100204.

8) I've included links on this page to Koan58's first post in this thread, as well as a direct link to an image on the Baxter server, a direct link to Baxter's product page for the part, and a link to a YouTube video on how to position the inner quadrant on a Triumph 5-speed.

(Yes, I know - wrong model, wrong part. It's a DEMO!)

So let's just lay to rest the notion that there's anything so complicated about parts book errors
that they can't be represented by a "simple database" like TED. There is NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING about a parts book error that TED cannot convey.

Furthermore, TED can travel to anywhere on the planet at the speed of light and then be converted to a piece of paper using a ubiquitous device known as a printer. Why, even reverb could snag a copy of an error list without having to make a two-day (one-way) ride on a flat tire on his 1949 Triumph (hi reverb! smile good-natured kidding).

Now, speaking of error lists, I see no one has posted a link to the "mother lode" of those ephemeral parts list addendum. The operative phrase regarding those seems to be "if you can get your hands on them".

But it does make me wonder why, since Mr. Healy himself was a Triumph dealer and has been involved with Triumph since the late 1950's, and since he obviously has at least some of these documents
in his possession, and since he has said that copyright is not an issue, why he hasn't simply published them on his website?

And you Trident owners - have you seen what Mr. Healy said about YOUR parts book errors? Perhaps even the unobtainium addendum won't be of much help for your bikes. What're you going to do when Mr. Klemph is no longer willing or able to convert all your erroneous parts numbers? Are they still making good Trident parts men? What does it say about the future of Tridents, or Triumphs in general? Plexiglas, that's what.

And have you guys thought about what the likelihood is of one of these Triumph error correction addendum to be error-free? Personally I'd have more faith in a list of parts errors crowd-sourced from you guys.

They say you can't teach old dogs new tricks. I say (in my 74th year), it all depends on the dog.

You guys have fun swapping Triumph parts error horror stories. Actions speak louder than words, and being a man of action I have lots of other projects to move on to.

Tail light.

Bruce Miller
aka The Hermit
The Bonnie Ref: https://www.hermit.cc/tmc/om/manual.htm