I've been enjoying this forum for a while, and decided I may be far enough along to start a thread on my TR6/R project. This first part is way too long and wordy, but it gives the background. I'll be more concise as I get on with it.

The sickness started about 12 years ago, when I started sitting in a different area at the Springfield IL mile races (every Memorial Day and Labor Day). I wound up always sitting next to a guy who was also a long-term dirt track fan. In conversation, he mentioned that he had an old Triumph that he was going to restore someday. He had bought the bike new in 1964, rode it till 1971, then put it into storage. There was nothing wrong with it at the time, but his wife (at the time) thought it irresponsible for a father of young children to take a chance on killing himself by riding a motorcycle!

Every year, I would ask about the progress on the old TR6. Every year it was the same story -- I'm waiting till I get my shop built. Finally, the shop was built and the story became, "I'm waiting till I get the heating system completed in my shop for winter work"

Once the heating system was installed, the shop was very nice and very comfortable, but he decided that he had waited too long. He was getting on in years, and his health was failing. He no longer was interested in the bike project. I was marginally interested and kind of jokingly told him he should sell it to me.

By this time, I was retired from my job at Caterpillar Inc. and had become a truck driver (something I had always wanted to try). One day another driver and I were talking and he told me he would dearly love to find a barn bike for a project. I told him that I knew of two barn bikes (the TR6 and a 1971 CL350 Honda that I had happened upon elsewhere), but I wouldn't tell him where they were. The reason being that I was thinking of buying them myself. From that day on, there was no peace. That driver kept warning me that someone would snatch those bikes if I didn't go get them. He said it was almost immoral to know about two barn bikes and not act on them.

Finally, one week, I got them both. After a couple of days of negotiation, the TR6 PO and I agreed on a price. I was to pick up the bike on the following Saturday. He told me that it didn't weigh much, and I could easily carry it home in my Ford Ranger pickup truck.

Of course, by Friday, there was a hot load that had to be picked up that Saturday. However, it was only a couple towns farther away than where the TR6 was, and I would have enough trailer space to load the bike as well. I offered to make the run on straight time if I could stop and load up the Triumph on the way, and the boss was happy with that. Thus, I got paid for hauling home my project bike. Here are some pics of that day in March of '09 . . .

I parked in front of the PO's house and got the trailer ready. He couldn't believe the size of my "Ford Ranger".

[Linked Image]

Here's the bike the way it came out of storage (rusty and corroded, but all there and otherwise unmolested).

[Linked Image]

The PO and a friend of his helped me tie it down. I'm the bald-headed graybeard in the black coat.

[Linked Image]

The old girl is ready to go for her first ride since about 1971.

[Linked Image]

Then I had to pick up the paying part of the load, and use up the rest of the trailer space.

[Linked Image]

On the way home, it poured down rain. Here, I had stopped to fuel up the Sky Trak en-route before delivery. Meanwhile, the TR6 was getting its first bath in many years.

[Linked Image]

I dropped off the Sky Trak, then went by my house and off-loaded the bike.

To be continued, unless you tell me to shut up!

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)