BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Dave Lid
Dave Lid
West Midlands UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
36 registered members (998John), 179 guests, and 70 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gordo, to.bias, Nomdegom, Andy Mac, kwbikr
10381 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Mori55 94
NickL 93
Stuart 86
DavidP 77
reverb 69
Triless 68
Rohan 65
Popular Topics(Views)
688,696 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,014
Posts661,634
Members10,381
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #737267
05/31/18 10:56 pm
05/31/18 10:56 pm
Farnham, Surrey, UK
gunner Offline
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Farnham, Surrey, UK
Sorry to hear about your riding woes but at least everyone seems to be OK, just one of those things I guess.

Regarding the gummed up carb slide, maybe one possibility is that the the fuel tank has been sealed at some point in the past with a non ethanol resistant sealant which is now slowly breaking down. Alternately a similar problem may happen if the tank is fibreglass.

I note that you are using a foam air filter and would like to offer some advise which you are likely already aware of but for safety's sake I will repeat. Foam air filters can be the source of fires especially if you experience kickback or spitback through the carb. The problem is made worse if oil or fuel has leaked onto the filter and the filter is old. A while back my B44 caught fire whilst using a foam air filter when I experienced kickback. I was lucky as I was able to extinguish the fire after a few seconds using my gloved hands, any longer and the whole bike could have gone up in flames.

I believe some foam air filters are resistant to fire and better still are the K&N style filters which use cotton as a filter medium together with a stainless steel mesh which in combination make the risk virtually zero.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #737280
06/01/18 12:40 am
06/01/18 12:40 am
U.S.
Magnetoman Online content OP

BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content OP

BritBike Forum member
U.S.
Originally Posted by gunner
Sorry to hear about your riding woes but at least everyone seems to be OK, just one of those things I guess.
If an accident had to happen, it was the best I could have hoped for. Damage to my friend was enough to give us something to remember the ride by, but not enough to last beyond a couple of days. Of course, of far less importance than damage to people is damage to the bikes. The BB appears to have suffered only cosmetic damage and the Matchless looks as good as ever (although, its beauty may turn out to be only skin deep...).

The bikes are off the truck and in the garage now. Over the weekend I'll drain the fuel from both (and the oil from the Matchless before its leaky oil pump does it for me) and examine the BB more closely. The only thing I can see that I'll have to order are new footpeg rubbers. Everything else I either have (replacement Chronometric glass), or it looks like I can fix with a little labor plus paint.

I should have put in a plug in for properly rebuilt magnetos in my post yesterday. For the Matchless I had to take the battery off the charger, add water because I hadn't noticed it was getting low, open the cover, wire it into place, and close the cover. The bike acted like it was somewhat inclined to start on the first kick, but it wanted me to kick harder than I did. After three wimpy kicks we pushed the bike and it started almost instantly. In contrast, after sitting unused for six months the Gold Star simply started on the first kick. I hate batteries.

Regarding the gummed up carb slide, maybe one possibility is that the the fuel tank has been sealed at some point in the past with a non ethanol resistant sealant which is now slowly breaking down.
No, the inside of the tank is bare steel.

Foam air filters can be the source of fires
Thanks for mentioning this. Unfortunately, I was unable to find any filters that would fit in the Catalina's air box which is why I custom cut my own from foam.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #737384
06/02/18 5:35 am
06/02/18 5:35 am
Texas
S
sanarthur Offline
New poster
sanarthur  Offline
New poster
S
Texas
Hi MM I´m sorry to hear about your mishap and I hope your friend arrived ok after such a long flight back.

Saludos

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: sanarthur] #737475
06/02/18 11:39 pm
06/02/18 11:39 pm
U.S.

BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member
U.S.
Originally Posted by sanarthur
I hope your friend arrived ok after such a long flight back.
I got an email from him earlier today saying he arrived back in Napoli on time and with "almost no traces of the accident."

Today I removed the battery and drained the fuel and oil from the Matchless, so it's now officially in mothballs for the foreseeable future. I then drained the fuel from the BB and turned my attention to the Catalina's sticky slide. Repeat after me, correlation does not necessarily imply causality.

I removed the jet block and thoroughly cleaned it, the wall of the main body, and inside and outside of the slide. Nothing felt sticky before I did this although the paper towels removed quite a bit black residue from various surfaces. However, after I bolted the jet block back into place (it's held down by the jet holder) the slide was very stiff, although slightly loosening the jet block freed it up. I disassembled, reassembled, and repeated this a few times getting somewhat different results each time varying from being a little tighter to being much tighter after I tightened the jet block.

Since this was consistent with the base of the jet block being slightly tilted with respect to its seating surface in the carburetor body I put the jet block in the lathe and ended up skimming about 0.003" from the seating surface before it was perpendicular to its walls. The photograph shows it after the first ~0.001" or so had been removed. After I did this and reassembled the carburetor the slide was smooth as silk. The black residue had been a red herring.

In retrospect this all makes sense. At least once in the past after assembling the carburetor there was a noticeable 'catch' in the movement of the slide at low throttle settings that was quite annoying. But, it went away as I fiddled with the jetting. Each time I changed the main jet I could easily change the torque on the jet holder that clamps the jet block in place. Since there was a slight tilt to its bottom surface different torques resulted in slightly different amounts of tilt of the top of the jet block, changing the clearance between it and the carburetor body. After my final jetting run last fall during which the carburetor behaved well I drained the fuel from the carburetor. In retrospect it is now clear that I changed the torque on the jet block as well when I re-tightened it. The jet block also had six months to slightly settle, which could have been a factor as well. Mystery solved.

Attached Files JetBlock.jpg
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #737506
06/03/18 7:35 am
06/03/18 7:35 am
Middle East,
Kerry W Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kerry W  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Middle East,
Well spotted. I'd like to think I'd find and correct a problem like that!

The bigger question in my mind, is why was there a problem in the first place?

No generalisation is wholly true, not even this one.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #737541
06/03/18 4:14 pm
06/03/18 4:14 pm
U.S.

BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member
U.S.
Originally Posted by Kerry W
The bigger question in my mind, is why was there a problem in the first place?
The Catalina was from the same guy who built my lovely BB Gold Star and friend's lovely ZB34/M20 bitza who all evidence indicates was an excellent mechanic (an electrician, not so much...). However, unlike the BB, the Catalina wasn't finished when he died, and the carburetor(s) have caused more than their fair share of grief.

Looking back through my notes, despite finding and correcting various issues (e.g. it came to me with a short 'C' series needle in it rather than the correct 'D' series) I still had trouble getting the bike to run at all. I later determined a major factor was too much back pressure from the silencer I had added to the open pipe, but a few days before discovering that I "Built up a completely new 389 carburetor using none of the components from the current carb. except the needle and 4 cutaway slide. Brass float, viton needle, and proper float bowl height. It transformed the bike." Twelve days, and five entries in my notes, later I wrote "Carb no longer has tight spot." Although the intervening notes don't mention the tight spot it's clear the issue due to the slightly tilted throttle body has been there ever since I built that carburetor from parts.

So, finally, getting to your question. Of course, there's no way to know the history of that jet block. It could have come out of the casting mold that way, been slightly "mis-chucked" in the factory lathe if there was a subsequent machining operation, slowly distorted over time due to certain of Zamak's issues with dimensional stability, or abused in some way by previous owners. I tend to think abuse wasn't the cause since, although 0.003" doesn't seem like much, that's actually a lot of material to have been displaced when there are no signs of abuse.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership