BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
bones_bir
bones_bir
Central TX
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
213 registered members (68 royalstar tony), 1,760 guests, and 514 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant, Jerry
9952 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 179
koan58 94
Stuart 83
Popular Topics(Views)
434,796 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,245
Posts631,743
Members9,952
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#99067 - 08/23/06 6:42 am How to grease new speedo cable?  
Matthew in TO Offline
BritBike Forum member
Matthew in TO  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've just received my new speedo cable in the mail, and will install it over the weekend. I'll likely route it through the fork lock nuts (those vertical pipes on either side of the fork.

How do I grease the cable, what oil or grease do you recommend?

I've read that I'm not to grease the top 12" as it will muck up the speedo, but IIRC the inner cable only comes out through the top of the outer cover, meaning that any oil or grease applied on the lower 51" of cable will likely spread to the upper 12" when I put the inner back down into the outer cover.

Also, is there any risk of the grease contacting the rear wheel speedo drive? Do I have to grease this cable at all?

1970 Triumph T100S (1969 T100S motor)
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#99068 - 08/23/06 8:29 am Re: How to grease new speedo cable?  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
Just fought the same conunderum, my solution was to grease the cable as directed but then to wipe off the excess only leaving grease in the troughs formed by the spiral wires, when I fed it in there was none being dragged of the cable and staying up top. Only time will tell if it enough grease but looking good sa far but it is only 3 weeks.

#99069 - 08/23/06 11:04 am Re: How to grease new speedo cable?  
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne Australia
Best solution has already been described by Kommando, very little grease is required as long as you remember the service schedule and re-grease occasionally.
I like to remove the inner and disconnect the outer at the drive end once per year, blast some CRC or whatever down the bore of the outer and blow out well with dry compressed air, then refit the greased inner.
Speedo/Tacho drive cables are an achievement of metallurgy, buy spares whilst you can.
It will be a lost art or not worth a production run when all things are dome electronically.

1969 TR6R
7.62 x 51 is not a maths puzzle.
#99070 - 08/23/06 11:28 am Re: How to grease new speedo cable?  
Matthew in TO Offline
BritBike Forum member
Matthew in TO  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thx. What grease do you recommend?

As for the other cables, I do not have one of those hand pump things for forcing oil down the cable. That said, how do I lube my clutch, throttle and brake cables?

#99071 - 08/23/06 1:06 pm Re: How to grease new speedo cable?  
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne Australia
Plain old Castrol LM grease will do, not much speed or load involved.
You can buy a cable oiler thingy that allows you to squirt chain lube down the cables or get some fresh plasticene [kid's modelling goo] and make a cup out of that around the end of the cable, fill with oil and let drain down.

Or you can put some oil inside a toy balloon, blow that up a little with your breath and tie it around the cable outer with some string, the air in the balloon will push oil into the cable if held upright.

Both the above methods are useless unless you grease the nipple where it engages in the lever, let that get dry and the cable strands immediately below the nipple have to flex as the nipple resists partial rotation/binds in the lever, that is where you get breakages.
Boat trailer grease is good.

1969 TR6R
#99072 - 08/23/06 3:56 pm Re: How to grease new speedo cable?  
ustawas Offline
BritBike Forum
ustawas  Offline
BritBike Forum

Detroit Michigan
I like the baloon idea. I used to hole the corner of a sandwich bag and rubberband it around the cable end. Then I would hang if from a garage rafter overnight and let gravity (so often my enemy) do the work. I also used to neglect the barrel end as mentioned above and had to ride home with no clutch control. More than once!

Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
#99073 - 08/23/06 3:59 pm Re: How to grease new speedo cable?  
Matthew in TO Offline
BritBike Forum member
Matthew in TO  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just to confirm, I'm to grease not oil the barrel ends/nipples of the clutch and brake cables at the handles?

#99074 - 08/23/06 4:54 pm Re: How to grease new speedo cable?  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Matthew,

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew in Fredericton:
I've just received my new speedo cable in the mail,

How do I grease the cable,
One thing that no-one seems to have pointed out is that, if the outer is nylon- or teflon-lined, you don't. Teflon-lined is uncommon - I think only Venhill offer it - but nylon-lined is quite common, and oil or grease will b*gger the lining. Lubricate these with something like WD40.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiger:
You can buy a cable oiler thingy that allows you to squirt chain lube down the cables or get some fresh plasticene [kid's modelling goo] and make a cup out of that around the end of the cable, fill with oil and let drain down.
eek Good grief! Is it still that primitive in the colonies! You'll be calling electricity 'new-fangled' next! wink

Look in your local 'plastic fantastic' shop and, probably in the 'parts department', you should find a clamp consisting of a couple of bits of alloy anodised in revolting colours enclosing a piece of specially-moulded neoprene. The neoprene bit fits around most cable ends and seals around the area of inner and outer when clamped in the alloy bits. Poking through a hole in an alloy bit will be a neoprene spigot that takes the end of an aerosol can 'straw'. I use one of these clamps to get WD40 into nylon-lined cables and oil-in-an-aerosol-can into unlined cables.

Hth.

Regards,

#99075 - 08/23/06 8:33 pm Re: How to grease new speedo cable?  
John Healy Online content
John Healy  Online Content

Boston, Massachusetts
I'm to grease not oil the barrel ends/nipples of the clutch and brake cables at the handles?

Yes, and though it sounds weird, I would use a water proof grease. Isn't grease waterproof? A simple answer: NO.

Sold in bicycle stores in the US under the brand name Phil's Waterproof Grease. Hell of a guy that Phil, and he rides his bicycle in the rain. He also has an oil he calls Tenacious Oil, but if I told you about it I would have to kill yah!

#99076 - 08/23/06 9:36 pm Re: How to grease new speedo cable?  
John RGS Offline
BritBike Forum member
John RGS  Offline
BritBike Forum member

new jersey usa
I believe Stuart is refering to one of these items. I never had much luck with these. They seem too small for a speedo cable and I found that the tube kept popping out of the neopreme. I do know people that swear by them.

,_o
_ -\_<,
(*)/'(*)

NOPGS #2
#99077 - 08/23/06 9:44 pm Re: How to grease new speedo cable?  
Tiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Melbourne Australia
Good grief! Is it still that primitive in the colonies! You'll be calling electricity 'new-fangled' next! wink

Nah ! We got 'lectricity, plasticene and cable oilers, just not into gadgets is all, we also have Summer approaching at a great rate of knots laugh

Never seen Phil's oil though, but I do not frequent bicycle shops, blokes who hang around those places look like Power Rangers.

1969 TR6R
#99078 - 08/27/06 8:21 am Re: How to grease new speedo cable?  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi John/Matthew,

Quote:
Originally posted by John RGS:
I believe Stuart is refering to one of these items.
Yep, that's the beastie, although the outer clamp of mine is anodised gold - see what I mean about revolting colour combinations. wink

Quote:
Originally posted by John RGS:
They seem too small for a speedo cable
Hmmm - mine can take Venhill cable ends, which are often bigger than standard because of the lined cable outer. Also, it sometimes takes some wiggling of the cable in the neoprene and a few do-ups and undos to get a good seal. Apart from that, I've had mine for donkey's years and I wouldn't be without it.

Regards,

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.094s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8777 MB (Peak: 1.0817 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 10:20:29 UTC