BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
J Rowe
J Rowe
Orange, MA USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
33 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 213 guests, and 452 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
hondapete1950, Gaspare, eberhard, Norman Woollons, LandoLando
10257 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 76
Lannis 55
TBolt72 47
Popular Topics(Views)
610,743 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,150
Posts651,632
Members10,257
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Early Trident Beauty Kit colors #92370
05/16/06 10:48 pm
05/16/06 10:48 pm
Seattle WA
B
Bruce Lowe Offline OP
One time posting
Bruce Lowe  Offline OP
One time posting
B
Seattle WA
I have a book by a guy named "Duckworth" I think. On the cover, and inside the book, is a picture of a Trident what looks like gold w/black wings, just like the '71 Bonnevilles, labled as the "1968 Beauty
Kit".

I thought the first Tridents were '69 - were there "68 1/2" models? And I thought the first Beauty Kits were 1970, in the green/black color scheme.

I have heard that this photo might be a green one, and the apparent gold color is an artifact of the camera flash. Sure looks gold though.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Early Trident Beauty Kit colors #92371
05/17/06 2:32 am
05/17/06 2:32 am
Sunny South Carolina, (US)
T140V-Rich Offline
BritBike Forum member
T140V-Rich  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Sunny South Carolina, (US)
My books are in the garage with the bikes so I'm going from memory here, Bruce.

If memory serves, the Tridents came out in Oct. 1968. 68 1/2? 69s? Never had that one fully clarified.

I've seen the pic of the gold and black Trident also. Looks gold to me. But the caption I read is that this was the 1970 "beauty kit."

I may have to stick with the gold opinion as the same book has the aquamarine 1969 in a black and white photo as is the photo of the "gold" bike. The aqua appears black while the other bike's tank does indeed appear gold.

Probably doesn't help you a bit as there are finer researchers out there than this one.

Take it as an opinion vote that the bike is gold.

Richard

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
Re: Early Trident Beauty Kit colors #92372
05/17/06 2:38 am
05/17/06 2:38 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi Bruce,

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Lowe:
I have a book by a guy named "Duckworth" I think.
"Triumph and BSA Triples" by Mick Duckworth - very knowledegeable guy.

Quote:
On the cover, and inside the book, is a picture of a Trident what looks like gold w/black wings,
I have heard that this photo might be a green one, and the apparent gold color is an artifact of the camera flash.
The colour is known as 'Spring Gold', which is actually a dark green shade. It's a 'candy', which means the colour you see is achieved by spraying a tinted translucent lacquer over a 'ground' coat - in this case gold. I'd agree that the colour you're seeing in the photo. is a combination of the way the light caught the curve of the tank when the photo. was taken and the subsequent production process.

Quote:
labled as the "1968 Beauty Kit".
A misprint - should be '1969'.

Quote:
I thought the first Tridents were '69
The first Tridents (and Rocket 3's) were 1969 *season* (aka 'model year') bikes. In fact, final assembly of the first bikes started in July 1968, in order that there would be a stockpile of bikes in the US for the models' September 1968 launch. All '69 Tridents were originally assembled and shipped with the big oblong tank and Aquamarine colour scheme.

Quote:
And I thought the first Beauty Kits were 1970,
That the BSA Group had badly over-estimated the likely sales of triples in the US market, where the bulk of production was directed, had become obvious certainly by March 1969, because there's a dramatic reduction in production numbers from that month. Triumph's response was to produce, and ship mainly to the US, the 'beauty kit' - tank, 'guards, sidepanels, exhaust system and numerous other small bits. This could be fitted by importer or dealer and transformed the looks of a Trident to be more like the contemporary Triumph twins; nothing similar was done for the Rocket 3.

A very small number of triples were produced in the 1970 season and, of the total 287/288 Tridents, a small number were built with most of the 'beauty kit' bits - officially called the '1970 North American Variant' by Meriden.

I have seen US magazine roadtests that label a 'beauty-kitted' triple as the '1970 model'. However, the magazines must've tested a '69 bike because 1970 Tridents weren't built until April and May of that year. The way to tell a 'beauty-kitted' triple from a genuine 1970 is the 'year letter' in the VIN - only if it's a 'D' was it 1970-built.

Hth.

Regards,

Re: Early Trident Beauty Kit colors #92373
05/17/06 5:15 pm
05/17/06 5:15 pm
North Georgia, USA
RF Whatley Online content
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
North Georgia, USA
See Bruce, I told you there were some brainy people here.

bigt

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership