BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
dommie90
dommie90
bac o burk qld
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
196 registered members (21inGoldie), 1,638 guests, and 515 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Berni, johnguppy, michael morgan, Xavier, J. Grant
9953 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 180
koan58 95
Stuart 82
Popular Topics(Views)
435,061 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,247
Posts631,778
Members9,953
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#88827 - 03/08/06 11:36 pm Rear Wheel Offset  
Roger E Offline
BritBike Forum
Roger E  Offline
BritBike Forum

Tioga, ND
Hello All,
First I have to say that this is my first post on the Forum but I have been reading and learning for a couple years now. I have a problem with my 1967 Bonneville. I disassembled the rear wheel for new stainless spokes without measuring the offset first. Dumb mistake but there it is. The Triumph manual says 1 3/4 inches with my WM3 rim but how is it measured and from where?

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#88828 - 03/09/06 5:18 pm Re: Rear Wheel Offset  
Kev. Online sick
BritBike Forum member
Kev.  Online Sick
BritBike Forum member

Royal Berkshire.
Roger welcome to the forum, I will email you the details.....

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1950 Vincent Comet
1952 Norton Special
1963 BSA Super Rocket
1970 BSA A65 Lightning
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado x2
2009 Triumph Bonneville (now sold)

#88829 - 03/09/06 5:28 pm Re: Rear Wheel Offset  
Kev. Online sick
BritBike Forum member
Kev.  Online Sick
BritBike Forum member

Royal Berkshire.
No I won't as you have your e-mail switched off! so follow this link it shows how to do the offset

http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/cwc/rim_ordering_procedure/rimorderingprocedure.html

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1950 Vincent Comet
1952 Norton Special
1963 BSA Super Rocket
1970 BSA A65 Lightning
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado x2
2009 Triumph Bonneville (now sold)

#88830 - 03/10/06 12:48 am Re: Rear Wheel Offset  
Roger E Offline
BritBike Forum
Roger E  Offline
BritBike Forum

Tioga, ND
Thanks for the reply, Kev but I'm still confused. Do I measure from the brake side with the drum in place or off or from the other side?
Roger

#88831 - 03/10/06 3:40 am Re: Rear Wheel Offset  
Roger E Offline
BritBike Forum
Roger E  Offline
BritBike Forum

Tioga, ND
Hey Kev, never mind. I did a search on wheel lacing and found a thread where this was discussed. It's 1 3/4 inches measured from the face of the brake drum to the edge of the rim.
Thanks for the help.
Roger

#88832 - 03/12/06 8:50 pm Re: Rear Wheel Offset  
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
For a 1967, with the spool steel hub, the offset from the surface of the brake drum to the center of the wheel is 89mm. If the drum is off, then from the drum mounting surface on the hub to the wheel center the measurement is 44mm.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#88833 - 03/13/06 12:24 am Re: Rear Wheel Offset  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
"Rim offset", .... hmmm. It would seem to me the only person needing "offset" values would be a mechanic you Take your wheel to have it laced and trued on his truing stand. Otherwise the wheels should be trued and aligned on the bike seems to me.

Front wheel:
Merely center the front rim between the fork sliders. I measure this using a little tapered gauge I've made. An inside caliper works too. Support your magnetic base dial indicator on a largish piece of steel on the shop floor. Then true and center the rim. Axial and radial runout less than 15-20 thou is great. Less than 40 is OK.

Rear wheel:
The plan is to have the rear wheel spokes adjusted so the rear wheel is in alignment and tracks in line with the front wheel. "Close enough", may be OK with you, but I like to measure and align the wheels on the bike.
Here's the procedure ... as old a method as motorcycles.

You will need a pair of straight edges to clamp on either side of the front rim that will extend beneath the bike and straddle either side of the rear rim.
I use 1" x 1" alu tubing. Nice and straight. I've seen steel tube and light angle stock used OK.
No no, you'll never be able to find two pieces of wood that are straight enough. And forget the silly idea of using long easily broken floresent tubes.

If your front rim is narrower than the rear, shim the tubes with something. I use lengths of 1/4" trim wood taped to the tubes.
Drill the tubes for 'all thread' or wire, etc. and clamp the tubes to the front rim extending beneath the bike supported with both wheels off the floor. Use your caliper and insure the tubes are parallel their full length. Adjust your clamps as required.

Now finnish aligning your rear wheel rim with the rim centered between the tubes. Make your final spoke torque adjustments for minimum axial and radial runout while keeping the rim centered. Less than 15-20 thou error is great. Less than 40 thou is OK.

If the ears on your swing arm are bent side to side you will notice this when trying to center the rear rim. Don't despair, bend them back straight and parallel to each other.

Something worth checking while working on wheels, is to check if your swing arm arms/tubes are true. Using shims block up your bike so it's level side to side using a carpenters level held verticaly against the trued front rim as your reference. Now hold the level against your trued up rear rim and it should indicate true and vertical. The level laid across the swing arm tubes should also check true.
The swing arm tubes can also be checked by using a level reference from near the pivot bolt and then measure across the ends of the tubes near the axle tabs.

A difference found between the two methods when checking the swingarm could indicate the frame is tweaked/twisted at the steering head. This is a fairly common affliction with a frame that's ever been endoed. BTDT .. got the shirt.

BTW, I have a nice (expensive) Rowe truing stand as used by wheel builders. I seldom use it except to hold a wheel when doing a rough build up. I would use it however to build up a duplicate wheel if needed.
Oh, I forgot to mention ... There's a critical amount, not too much, but enough Budwieser that will make wheel building go more smoothly. Works for me. heh.

dave - NV

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.418s Queries: 14 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8393 MB (Peak: 1.0099 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-18 19:26:12 UTC