BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
kboyd
kboyd
Kansas
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (bill50cal), 356 guests, and 477 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Biscuits, DT 150, DamienE, vietnammotorbike, Lennart Liljedah
10291 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 93
Lannis 66
Mori55 64
Popular Topics(Views)
637,880 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,396
Posts654,324
Members10,291
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T160 sump cover cap screw alternatives. #720320
12/29/17 1:15 am
12/29/17 1:15 am
Palmerston North, New Zealand,
W
wheller151 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
wheller151  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
W
My T160 has a standard sump and fittings and is a complete pain to remove from the bike.
The exaust down pipes leave a very small gap between the pipes and the cover and only by using an adapted allen key can this be removed without taking the exaust off.

Is there a better type of bolt head that could be fitted that would give better access ?

I see the oil pick up pipe in the sump fits loosley into a hole in the top of the the gauze sump filter.
Is a better solution available that would be more efficent, as this looks a bit of a rough way of doing filtation when a simple magnet in my opinion could do the same job better.
The oil tank already has a gauze filtering the feed line and there is the cartidge filter also in place.

Any advice on this would be great.

Last edited by wheller151; 12/29/17 8:06 am.

T140v 1977 Export American Spec.
T160 Trident
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: T160 sump cover cap screw alternatives. [Re: wheller151] #720338
12/29/17 6:52 am
12/29/17 6:52 am
ca, us
D
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
DMadigan  Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
ca, us
I do not have a T160, did you try a ball end hex wrench?
There are replacement sump plates available with a magnet drain plug. No need to remove the plate.
The gauze is only to keep the big chunks out of the pickup tube when the engine blows up. Particles that can go through the screen are still far larger than the clearance of the plain bearings. You should have a cartridge filter in the return line if you want to extend engine life.

Re: T160 sump cover cap screw alternatives. [Re: wheller151] #720348
12/29/17 8:36 am
12/29/17 8:36 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted by wheller151
My T160 has a standard sump and fittings and is a complete pain to remove from the bike.
The exaust down pipes leave a very small gap between the pipes and the cover and only by using an adapted allen key can this be removed without taking the exaust off.

If you look at the parts book, you'll see this isn't standard at all; a dpo has replaced the standard studs-'n'-nuts with the Allen screws. On the sump plate/filter, this is a crap idea, the Allen screws are wearing the UNC threads in the crankcase ally, instead of nuts wearing much longer-lasting UNF threads on standard steel studs. facepalm

Then, on any standard T160 exhaust system I've ever worked on, the centre exhaust pipes can be removed (with a bit of fiddling) for access to the standard nuts securing the sump plate and filter on the standard studs. No need to remove the whole exhaust system.

I see the oil pick up pipe in the sump fits loosley into a hole in the top of the the gauze sump filter.
Is a better solution available that would be more efficent,

By definition, the gauze is far too large to catch the worst wear-causing particles (in the 15-30-micron range apparently) suspended in the oil, that's what the filter cartridge does. So, unless the hole in the filter is obviously damaged and enlarged, it's as good as it gets. As Dave posted, at best the sump filter stops the larger lumps from a blow-up circulating; one of the aftermarket kits that puts a/the cartridge filter in the hose between engine and rockers supply/oil cooler is a better idea?

Hth.

Regards,

Re: T160 sump cover cap screw alternatives. [Re: Stuart] #720350
12/29/17 9:18 am
12/29/17 9:18 am
W
wheller151 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
wheller151  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
W
Stuart you are correct and I see it should have 1/4 UNC UNF studs in place of these ruddy silly button heads.
The engine was completly rebuilt two years ago and it seems the guy who did had made a few of these daft changes.
I am guilty of beliving the guy who worked on it before had all his nuts and bolts together and hopfully I wont fall in that trap again.

I will have a look round for this in line filter you mention as that looks a pretty good solution.
I have thought about fitting an after market screw in filter cartrige type unit, like I now have on my Bonney, but finding a location for the unit on the Trident is prooving to be a bit of a task.
Only place I think I have found to put it is between the back wheel and the rear down leg of the frame near the swinging arm bushes, but its not ideal and will need a stone gaurd fitting which will make it an even tighter fit.

May I also whish you a Very Happy New Year and thank you for your help this year.

T140v 1977 Export American Spec.
T160 Trident
Re: T160 sump cover cap screw alternatives. [Re: wheller151] #720354
12/29/17 9:43 am
12/29/17 9:43 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi,

I will have a look round for this in line filter you mention as that looks a pretty good solution.

The idea of adding a filter in the line out of the engine was shamelessly plagiarised from "jessem" on the TOL forum ... smile

I chose this one for my T100 because it takes a standard triple filter element, but the T100 does have the pictured space where T160's have ignition coils ... BritBike forum sponsor MAP in Florida do something similar, but I think without the ally mounting clamp?

May I also whish you a Very Happy New Year

You too. Looking forward to covering six hundred-odd miles between today and New Year ...

thank you for your help this year.

Pleased I've been able to help. smile Hope the above helps too.

Regards,

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership