BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Keane Lucas
Keane Lucas
New Jersey
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
35 registered members (998John), 274 guests, and 426 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
vietnammotorbike, Lennart Liljedah, Mal Wood, FireGuyKC, spuggy
10288 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 94
Lannis 65
Mori55 60
Popular Topics(Views)
636,061 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,365
Posts654,057
Members10,288
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 1
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
To the hard-working guys ..... #720050
12/26/17 8:28 pm
12/26/17 8:28 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member
Lannis  Online Content OP

Life member
Central Virginia
Just passed my third anniversary of retirement after working for 44 years, everything from cleaning sewage treatment plants to generating environmental reports for nuclear plants.

Was thinking about the guys here still working hard, and just thought I'd share this piece from Elbert Hubbard that I had hanging on my cubicle or office wall for 30 years or more ...

If you work for a man, in Heaven’s name work for him. If he pays wages that supply you your bread and butter, work for him, speak well of him, think well of him, and stand by him, and stand by the institution he represents. I think if I worked for a man, I would work for him. I would not work for him a part of his time, but all of his time. I would give an undivided service or none. If put to the pinch, an ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness. If you must vilify, condemn, and eternally disparage, why, resign your position, and when you are outside, damn to your heart’s content. But, I pray you, so long as you are a part of an institution, do not condemn it. Not that you will injure the institution – not that – but when you disparage the concern of which you are a part, you disparage yourself.

Following this philosophy sure did make my life easier, and my work successful!

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720053
12/26/17 8:58 pm
12/26/17 8:58 pm
south Ga.
R
rweb Offline
BritBike Forum member
rweb  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
south Ga.
I agree 100%. Your philosophy is a good one. It was especially easy for me to follow having been self employed for the last 30 years before my retirement. But even before that I never thought burning bridges was a good idea.

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: rweb] #720054
12/26/17 9:03 pm
12/26/17 9:03 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted by rweb
I agree 100%. Your philosophy is a good one. It was especially easy for me to follow having been self employed for the last 30 years before my retirement. But even before that I never thought burning bridges was a good idea.

I've always had the greatest respect for self-employed guys. I had opportunities, but never had the nerve to get out there without a safety net.

No sick days. No vacation days where your work is waiting for you when you get back. No one managing a 401K fund for you, or sending in Social Security contributions, or doing the company taxes, just you. No paid holidays.

I would probably have enjoyed it if I'd done it, but now I'll never know!

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720072
12/26/17 11:01 pm
12/26/17 11:01 pm
Sydney, Oz
S
Shane in Oz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Sydney, Oz
You shouldn't close your eyes to the faults in the organisation. You can put a positive spin on it and say you're suggesting improvements.

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720086
12/27/17 12:51 am
12/27/17 12:51 am
South cone
R
reverb Online content
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R
South cone
...hi Lannis, in many countries the salaries and opportunities are low so great % of workers do not have any other option than low their heads and work for the evil. Belly and bills is what rule in these cases.

-In my case I work by myself in the last 30 years hand building surfboards and as you say, no net, no unions, nothing to back up. I am struggling here due to cheaper stuff new millenial kids etc.

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Shane in Oz] #720089
12/27/17 1:34 am
12/27/17 1:34 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
You shouldn't close your eyes to the faults in the organisation. You can put a positive spin on it and say you're suggesting improvements.

Well, we all mumble under our breath when things aren't going well. If you really ARE suggesting improvements, there's a way to go about that .... But no one is ever going to find the "perfect" place to work ....

Lannis

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720101
12/27/17 3:57 am
12/27/17 3:57 am
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Offline

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Offline

Moto Mojo
Pennsyltuckey
Nice.

I always agree that positivity and being happy is far more rewarding than being negative and miserable. Besides, life is what you make it, and you get back that which you put forth.
Burning bridges is crazy. If one must leave, it is far better to leave on good terms than to never be able to look a former employer (lover, friend, acquaintance, etc) in the eye and get or give a warm greeting.

The world isn't very large and life is short.
Be nice, stay positive.
Today counts, but you cannot escape the past, & the future is never far away.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720103
12/27/17 4:11 am
12/27/17 4:11 am
North Georgia, USA
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Offline
BritBike Forum member
North Georgia, USA
Attitude is everything !

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720140
12/27/17 3:55 pm
12/27/17 3:55 pm
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member
I would have done it NO OTHER WAY.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720197
12/28/17 12:52 am
12/28/17 12:52 am
Shingle Springs, California
Roadwarrior Offline

BritBike Forum member
Roadwarrior  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Shingle Springs, California
I never stayed at a job I didn’t like. They are paying you to work hard and be positive. They could easily pay someone else to work hard and be positive. If you don’t give it your best, you are cheating yourself. I am 3 years into retirement, but I do miss working sometimes.

Last edited by Roadwarrior; 12/28/17 12:54 am.

Bob

73 Triumph T140 Main Ride
70 Bonnie
67 BSA West Coast Hornet

56 Chevy

Who are the brain police?

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720225
12/28/17 4:40 am
12/28/17 4:40 am
Illinois, USA
TR6Ray Offline

BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by Lannis
Just passed my third anniversary of retirement after working for 44 years, everything from cleaning sewage treatment plants to generating environmental reports for nuclear plants.

Was thinking about the guys here still working hard, and just thought I'd share this piece from Elbert Hubbard that I had hanging on my cubicle or office wall for 30 years or more ... (Snip) Lannis

Elbert Hubbard was born in Hudson, Illinois, the same town where I lived the first year of my life. The difference is that he became famous and I didn't. They still have a plaque in front of his parents' old house.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

His name is on the plaque, though hard to read in my picture. Elbert Hubbard (Wiki link is here), was a rather famous author and quite an interesting character. He was once brought up on charges for sending "objectionable materials" though the U.S. Mail. He plead guilty to one charge and they dropped the rest, but he lost all his civil rights -- including his passport. When he wanted to travel to Germany and interview the Kaiser prior to WWI, he couldn't go. He got around that by going directly into the White House and interrupting a meeting with President Woodrow Wilson and his staff. Hubbard talked Wilson into giving him a full pardon, and was soon on his way to Germany. (Try that today and see how far it gets you!)

That trip didn't turn out well for him. He and his wife were on board the RMS Lusitania when German U-boat #20 sent it to the bottom off the coast of Ireland. Oh, well, one of Hubbard's famous original quotes as an author was, "Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive."

Congratulations on your third year, Lannis. I hope you have many more.

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: TR6Ray] #720227
12/28/17 5:52 am
12/28/17 5:52 am
OZ
Triless Offline
BritBike Forum member
Triless  Offline
BritBike Forum member
OZ
As always, interesting stuff, Ray. Anymore travelogues soon ? Even aboard the British Motor Wanted !

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720228
12/28/17 7:36 am
12/28/17 7:36 am
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Maui Hawaii

If you work for a man, in Heaven’s name work for him. If he pays wages that supply you your bread and butter, work for him, speak well of him, think well of him, and stand by him, and stand by the institution he represents. I think if I worked for a man, I would work for him. I would not work for him a part of his time, but all of his time. I would give an undivided service or none. If put to the pinch, an ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness. If you must vilify, condemn, and eternally disparage, why, resign your position, and when you are outside, damn to your heart’s content. But, I pray you, so long as you are a part of an institution, do not condemn it. Not that you will injure the institution – not that – but when you disparage the concern of which you are a part, you disparage yourself.

This is nothing but an ode to the wage slave.

I would not recommend this to a young person.

Instead, I would recommend that they pursue a life of commitment to serving others through one of the noble professions. This way you are working for a higher purpose, not an employer. To hell with the employer, it's the greater purpose that matters.

Here's a list of some of them and a good explanation of why this is a good choice. 10 most noble professions

Be a paramedic, a fireman, policeman, nurse, any number of great professions that pay OK, but the reward is the satisfaction of the work, not the money. Money comes and goes, but it's your self image, your pride in your work is what matters and that money can't buy.

I would say stay out of the business world altogether. There's a sickness there that all the money in the world can't fix. And all the money in the world won't fill that hole in them that grows from envy and greed.

Self employment ain't what it's cracked up to be, either. It's a life often of constant insecurity. I spent four years on my life self employed and I can say only that I liked the work, but hated the business.

Cheers,
Bill

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 12/28/17 7:41 am.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: HawaiianTiger] #720231
12/28/17 7:50 am
12/28/17 7:50 am
OZ
Triless Offline
BritBike Forum member
Triless  Offline
BritBike Forum member
OZ
So, HT, you have no time for somebody who sets up a production facility, and provides employment and training facilities for tradesmen, who provide the consumer durables the population takes for granted ? Smacks a bit of Marx and Engels ideology !
I can see why you have developed your formidable roundhouse punch lauded in a previous posting !
But, each to the their own, I suppose. I reckon Lannis made a fair statement !

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: NickL] #720238
12/28/17 8:52 am
12/28/17 8:52 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted by NickL
..... That was the side i found fun.....

And that's a really good thing, and a sign of life choices made right. So many people don't get a chance to do that, and others have the opportunity but don't take it.

I can't say I found my work as "fun" as riding old Brits, but I enjoyed it, no matter what I was doing .... !

Lannis

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720251
12/28/17 2:54 pm
12/28/17 2:54 pm
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Not to be argumentative, just realizing there is a lot more to a job than making a living, helping others, or building wealth to pass on.

So, in most of my life I have been in service industries, coincidentally never in manufacturing, and never in government (apart from being an A/C tech for a local school district).

However, for more than half my life I have been a volunteer in the community in several ways, besides organizing and putting on a charity fundraiser bike show for 8 years straight. Since that time, I KNOW my life has been better, and whatever work I was involved in has been far more fulfilling.

So, it doesn't have to be your JOB to serve others in order to be fulfilled; in fact, I believe it is more honorable to serve others with no expectation of recompense or recognition.

...if you consider yourself a "wage slave" - RUN from that job and find something else IMMEDIATELY. (also consider your mindset and attitude very carefully, as there are people cannot find decent work and would be glad to have your job)

Last edited by GrandPaul; 12/28/17 2:58 pm.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720255
12/28/17 4:15 pm
12/28/17 4:15 pm
South cone
R
reverb Online content
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R
South cone
...hello HT, for what I observed depends on the cultural baggage that the given person is accustomed. Even between the languages at some points do not have certain adjectives and constructions to exactly express certain feelings or attitudes so its a reflex of these particular cultural adoptions.
So sometimes is a rat race but sometimes do not (in the basic meaning is just like what you say) as in Japan.

-I really enjoy working on the boards, building boards for the customers. After all these years I really wants to have more space, but is monetary not possible yet.
Working on my own, for a person like me is a bless.

Hey Grand Paul, as you know the world is big and in most cases you cannot decide the belly is what decides for you. Most workers are just that workers without the feelings for any superior stuff etc only to earn the money to pay for the food (yes the food is very expensive in several parts of the world) and shelter until next pay day comes.

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720262
12/28/17 4:43 pm
12/28/17 4:43 pm
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Offline

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Offline

Moto Mojo
Pennsyltuckey
Wage Slave... Well isn't anyone not born into wealth really a sort of wage slave? Especially in today's world, where the average job doesn't pay well enough to live, or include insurance or benefits?

Let's NOT FORET that...
We of "our generation" (I was born in 1956 and am now 61 years of age- so I say "our" figuring most of us are roughly the same age) are lucky enough to have been born at the time that has allowed us to catch the best time in U.S. history, as far as strength of society goes. We rode the "Middle Class" wave from its joyous beginning to its bitter end, reaping many benefits not seen prior, and not to be seen ever again.
I remain thankful for my blessings. I live a good life and enjoy myself pretty thoroughly along the path, however crooked and wandering it may be or may have been. Work has been a large part of my life, and plays a bigger part now than ever before. Even so, I don't consider myself a "wage slave", nor am I now and never have been a "worker bee", or what I consider to be a drone- one who mindlessly follows the leader and keeps his/her head down, doing "what's right for the company", blind to all else, ignoring any moral or societal infractions- as perceived from whomever's or whatever perspective.

My work has never defined me. I have worked to live, not lived to work. However ignoble my work may or may not be, I could really give a rat's @$$.
I have fun at my job.
I work with people I care about (in all cases), really like (in most cases), and love (in a few cases).
We do good work that people get to see- and it brings these people supreme satisfaction from being entertained to varying degrees.
I also get to work in cool places and places I enjoy being at- from Super Bowl in New Orleans, to an MTV thing on the flight deck of the USS Intrepid in Manhattan, to Fashion Week in NYC, to building TV & movie sets here & there, to just setting up shows both locally and all across the Mid Atlantic Region...

Work has and is serving a dual purpose in my life and I find it very fulfilling in many ways. I approach it with the same positivity and honesty and energy that I put into everything else. I don't kiss anyone's are- a trait which almost certainly has hurt me at times, but who cares? Work does NOT define me, and I can only hope that at the end of my life, folks will remember far more about me than whatever it was I did for a living all these years, in the course of my 2 careers.

The bottom line in life is as follows: each of us is the Captain of our own life-ship. We steer it alone; we are solely responsible for the path our life takes. Everyone has the power to do whatever they want to do. Honesty & integrity are key elements in life. Self-worth is a key life-element as well- yet somehow, some folks just don't have these within them, never find them, and will never know these traits. That doesn't mean we allow this to affect our world, it's up to each of us to stand firmly in who and what we are. Each of us has to carry our own burden- but it is not our responsibility to carry anyone else's.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: ricochetrider] #720263
12/28/17 4:55 pm
12/28/17 4:55 pm
Illinois, USA
TR6Ray Offline

BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Wage Slave... Well isn't anyone not born into wealth really a sort of wage slave? Especially in today's world, where the average job doesn't pay well enough to live, or include insurance or benefits?

Actually, no. In a capitalist system, you may be a wage slave, but you at least have the opportunity to change your circumstances. In many places in the world, people who were not born into wealth are not privileged enough to become wage slaves. Instead, they are simply slaves period. Look to your typical Marxist dictatorship.

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: HawaiianTiger] #720264
12/28/17 4:57 pm
12/28/17 4:57 pm
Running from demons in WNY
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Running from demons in WNY
Originally Posted by HawaiianTiger

This is nothing but an ode to the wage slave.

I would not recommend this to a young person.

Instead, I would recommend that they pursue a life of commitment to serving others through one of the noble professions. This way you are working for a higher purpose, not an employer. To hell with the employer, it's the greater purpose that matters.

Here's a list of some of them and a good explanation of why this is a good choice. 10 most noble professions

Be a paramedic, a fireman, policeman, nurse, any number of great professions that pay OK, but the reward is the satisfaction of the work, not the money. Money comes and goes, but it's your self image, your pride in your work is what matters and that money can't buy.

I would say stay out of the business world altogether. There's a sickness there that all the money in the world can't fix. And all the money in the world won't fill that hole in them that grows from envy and greed.

Self employment ain't what it's cracked up to be, either. It's a life often of constant insecurity. I spent four years on my life self employed and I can say only that I liked the work, but hated the business.

Cheers,
Bill

Wage slave? Rubbish! You have a narrow point of view there buddy... I spent my life working for large electrical contractors working on power plants, hospitals, factories and schools. I learned my trade well and took pride in my work. At the end of the day I could see my accomplishments and felt satisfaction....and a good paycheck...The last 10 years I became a contractor and was quite pleased with myself...

I ride junk
Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: ricochetrider] #720265
12/28/17 5:39 pm
12/28/17 5:39 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia

Let's NOT FORET that...
We of "our generation" (I was born in 1956 and am now 61 years of age- so I say "our" figuring most of us are roughly the same age) are lucky enough to have been born at the time that has allowed us to catch the best time in U.S. history, as far as strength of society goes. We rode the "Middle Class" wave from its joyous beginning to its bitter end, reaping many benefits not seen prior, and not to be seen ever again.

That's absolutely not true of my children, or any of my nieces or nephews, or most of the kids I watched grow up and are building houses on the road I live on.

My boys, my brother's girls, and most of the 20 - 35somethings that I know have FAR more material things than we had at the same age, and certainly 5 times as much as my parents had.

My dad died when I was 13, my Mom raised three of us with NOTHING - an old car and a secretary's job; we kept pigs and chickens and a garden. All three of us kids went out on our own when we were 17 or 18 - me and my sister to working our way through school into good jobs (me now retired, she's vice president of a large company), and my brother into the paratroopers, then to school and law school, and now a lawyer. My kids are in good jobs with families, in their own houses, with "stuff" I never had until I was 15 years older than them. Most of the young folks that grew up in our church and are living around us are in their own houses, with 4WD pickups, ATVs, boats, and stuff that the doctors and lawyers didn't have when I was a young kid. And they work for the highway department, and as diesel mechanics, and school teachers, or in factories. But they WORK.

And I'll tell you how I think my family did it, and how my kids are doing it.

1) Do what the Hubbard quote above says.
2) No drugs or alcohol. (Once you start that, you're doomed economically)
3) No divorces or outside women. NOTHING eats up money and opportunity faster than that.
4) No borrowing money for anything but real estate. No car payments, no college debt, no big "smartphone" bills.

That ALWAYS works, and works now better than it did 50 years ago.

I'm saying all that NOT to brag, because Lord knows I've screwed up big-time more than once, but to refute the "doesn't pay well enough to live" and "it's not as good as it used to be" rap. ANYONE who wants to make it in this country can make it. It's the choices people make to Have Fun Now, Pay For It Later that screws it up. It's the dependence on the growing welfare/entitlement system and the "unemployment" wheeze that makes people hopeless.

If people listen to the Big Lie that the advertisers and marketers are constantly hammering into their ears about what they HAVE TO HAVE, and to the TV about How To Have Fun, of COURSE they'll be struggling, they'll be short of money, they'll be unfulfilled, and worst of all, they'll be jealous of anyone who has more than they do, regardless of how they came by that "more".

So that's my story an' I'm stickin' to it ....

Lannis

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: ricochetrider] #720274
12/28/17 6:28 pm
12/28/17 6:28 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Offline
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Earth

Let's NOT FORET that...
I remain thankful for my blessings. I live a good life and enjoy myself pretty thoroughly along the path, however crooked and wandering it may be or may have been. Work has been a large part of my life, and plays a bigger part now than ever before. Even so, I don't consider myself a "wage slave", nor am I now and never have been a "worker bee", or what I consider to be a drone- one who mindlessly follows the leader and keeps his/her head down, doing "what's right for the company", blind to all else, ignoring any moral or societal infractions- as perceived from whomever's or whatever perspective.

My work has never defined me. I have worked to live, not lived to work. However ignoble my work may or may not be, I could really give a rat's @$$.
I have fun at my job.
I work with people I care about (in all cases), really like (in most cases), and love (in a few cases).
We do good work that people get to see- and it brings these people supreme satisfaction from being entertained to varying degrees.
I also get to work in cool places and places I enjoy being at- from Super Bowl in New Orleans, to an MTV thing on the flight deck of the USS Intrepid in Manhattan, to Fashion Week in NYC, to building TV & movie sets here & there, to just setting up shows both locally and all across the Mid Atlantic Region...

Work has and is serving a dual purpose in my life and I find it very fulfilling in many ways. I approach it with the same positivity and honesty and energy that I put into everything else. I don't kiss anyone's are- a trait which almost certainly has hurt me at times, but who cares? Work does NOT define me, and I can only hope that at the end of my life, folks will remember far more about me than whatever it was I did for a living all these years, in the course of my 2 careers.

The bottom line in life is as follows: each of us is the Captain of our own life-ship. We steer it alone; we are solely responsible for the path our life takes. Everyone has the power to do whatever they want to do. Honesty & integrity are key elements in life. Self-worth is a key life-element as well- yet somehow, some folks just don't have these within them, never find them, and will never know these traits. That doesn't mean we allow this to affect our world, it's up to each of us to stand firmly in who and what we are. Each of us has to carry our own burden- but it is not our responsibility to carry anyone else's.

+1

"Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720279
12/28/17 6:50 pm
12/28/17 6:50 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Offline
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R
Earth
Originally Posted by Lannis

Was thinking about the guys here still working hard, and just thought I'd share this piece from Elbert Hubbard that I had hanging on my cubicle or office wall for 30 years or more ...

Following this philosophy sure did make my life easier, and my work successful!

Lannis

Horrible. Why?

I assume this was written sometime 1900ish. Being part of an 'institution' at that time was not as groovy as one would think. Think child labor and the working conditions at that time. Sure, I assume some places were better than others, but really, think about it.

Almost every benefit one has today is a direct result of people doing the exact opposite of that quote. I'm sure many 'institutions' would paste that all about to keep folks in line. Once again, think 1900.

Fast forward to today, sure things are way better.

"Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720281
12/28/17 7:08 pm
12/28/17 7:08 pm
Maui Hawaii
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Maui Hawaii
My narrow point of view was earned by 18 years in the electronics field where I was a top designer in the greater southern California area in demand by the most successful aerospace companies int he world culminating in participation in the Hubble Space Telescope project where I designed a computer that is on board that satellite. But, at the end of the day, it was not a satisfying experience. I was 30 at the time. I have earned two mission patches, one with NASA and one with the Air Force.
I gave up that career and went another, more satisfying direction which did include years of volunteer work with Children's Hospital of Orange County and the Flying Samaritans. Volunteered for service with the medical corp during the first Gulf War but wasn't called.

A lot less money, but the best decision I ever made.

I didn't want to blow my own horn, but, well, I needed to make that point. I hardly think my view is narrow.

As far as slavery is concerned, it's alive and well in this country. Just for a few minutes explore the prison industry, it's rise during the Bush years and the laws manipulated to increase prison population by an order of magnitude. Disgusting, cynical people enslaving others for profit.

I don't know a thing about Marxist/Leninist stuff. They don't teach that in our schools.

I live under the poverty line set by the Government, but I'm happier than I've ever been. I mean, just look where I live. That was a stroke of pure serendipity there.
Friends, good work(although too much of it for a retired guy) my pooch. Pride in my achievements and still going strong. All the children who I've had the pleasure of being their guardian have done well. What more can a man want?

I still get my ire up when anyone tries to tell me what to do. My character fault among others I suppose.

I don't do politics. I'm a Union Man through and through.

Well, at least I didn't punch those suckers in the nose like I wanted to, but I did stand to be counted when fight was on.....proud of myself for that.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: To the hard-working guys ..... [Re: Lannis] #720286
12/28/17 7:30 pm
12/28/17 7:30 pm
New Hampshier USA
MikeG Offline

BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Offline

BritBike Forum member
New Hampshier USA
A wise friend once told me "find a job you like and you'll never work a day in your life".

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership