BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Blapper
Blapper
Kent UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
22 registered members (Alan_nc), 219 guests, and 434 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dan1818, Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks
10419 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 85
Rohan 77
Triless 70
reverb 68
Popular Topics(Views)
713,648 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,327
Posts665,185
Members10,419
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Coldest ride out? #719279
12/18/17 8:19 pm
12/18/17 8:19 pm
UK
D
Dibnah Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Dibnah  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D

UK
Having read Shaun's account of riding in the cold Kent countryside, what's the coldest anyone has ridden a few miles in? I managed about 10 miles in -12'C (10'F) in 1979, front brake froze which stopped progress.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719282
12/18/17 8:30 pm
12/18/17 8:30 pm
Earth
R
rick e. Offline
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

Earth
Coldest ride? I was 17 years old and a complete idiot when it came to gear, and kinda broke...

"Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719287
12/18/17 8:55 pm
12/18/17 8:55 pm
Ewing. NJ
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member
E

Ewing. NJ
I had to move a bike from the garage it was in to a storage unit once. It was only about 10 miles and it was about 25 degrees Fahrenheit, but I was totally unprepared and I was dressed for the office with dress shirt, light slacks, etc. I had a tweed jacket and no gloves, sweater, scarf or anything. It took me about 15 minutes at 40mph. I have never been that cold in my life! Everything was blue. Took me a couple of days to warm up.

Ed from NJ

Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: edunham] #719294
12/18/17 9:08 pm
12/18/17 9:08 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by edunham
I had to move a bike from the garage it was in to a storage unit once. It was only about 10 miles and it was about 25 degrees Fahrenheit, but I was totally unprepared and I was dressed for the office with dress shirt, light slacks, etc. I had a tweed jacket and no gloves, sweater, scarf or anything. It took me about 15 minutes at 40mph. I have never been that cold in my life! Everything was blue. Took me a couple of days to warm up.

Ed from NJ

You can hurt yourself doing that!

Just to be doing it, I rode my new '84 ElectraGlide to work, about 18 miles, on the record coldest day we've had in this part of Virginia, minus 10 degF.

The bike had been outside all night but even with its 50 weight oil, it started up like a good 'un. I had a full helmet, scarf, quilted hunting coveralls, Hot Hands gloves inside of Hippo Hands handlebar covers, and military surplus "Mickey Mouse" arctic boots.

I actually got a spot of frostbite on my arm where the glove and coveralls leaked a bit, and I couldn't keep the ice off the faceshield, so had to ride with it cracked, behind the fairing.

That's dangerous cold, that is - took me all morning to warm up. I don't see how snowmobilers do it; if I'd gone 50 miles I'd been well into hypothermia ....

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719301
12/18/17 9:50 pm
12/18/17 9:50 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline

DOPE

ohio, usa
the coldest i recall was when i took the forty-mile ride from university to triumph of oklahoma city to buy something, no idea what. it was chilly, but not really cold, so all i wore was blue jeans and my old sheepskinned bomber jacket i'd bought in kingston-on-thames years before. i might have still been using plastic breadbags for my hands, instead of gloves. not much money at the time.

got there, walked up to the counter, and couldn't talk-- couldn't physically make my mouth form human language. the hypothermia was so bad i hadn't even noticed i had it. i ended up mumbling for them to wait a bit and staggered around the shop drinking coffee until i could actually form intelligible words and sentences. god knows how dim my brain must have been the last 10 miles.

"Are bikes so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: kevin roberts] #719318
12/19/17 12:27 am
12/19/17 12:27 am
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
rocketscientist Offline
BritBike Forum member
rocketscientist  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Smackinthemiddle, NJ
Around 1985. January. left my house in Mercer County NJ at 4:30 am - start temp. -2 deg. F! That damn bike was very very reluctant to start! Roads dry but lots of snow remaining on the ground and lots of white salt dusting about. I was heading to work as truck driver 80 miles away in Sussex County as an oil truck driver. 1978 honda goldwing, windhammer fairing and "elephant hands" boots. STill......friggin cold. First stop a diner for coffee in Somerville. Went in for coffee and the people looked at me coming in with riding gear like I was a friggin nut! I agree....I was. Made it the 2 hr. ride to Sussex. Never never ever....again....

Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719329
12/19/17 1:34 am
12/19/17 1:34 am
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Wow, I'm a wimp. 25F for me for about 30 miles....5 layers on top, two layers on the bottom AND a pair of leather chaps. Still frickin' cold.

If it's less than 50F, I', taking the car!

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: JubeePrince] #719340
12/19/17 3:39 am
12/19/17 3:39 am
Hailey,Id.
B
bsawood Offline

BritBike Forum member
bsawood  Offline

BritBike Forum member
B

Hailey,Id.
Gives the term wind-chill a whole new meaning don't it?

Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719348
12/19/17 4:45 am
12/19/17 4:45 am
Laredo (South) Texas, USA
GrandPaul Offline
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
5 hours in the upper 30s with drizzle that turned to rain. Not sure what the wind chill factor was, I had on a good riding suit, dry boots & gloves. Picked up a hitchiker almost as soon as I hit the road, he rode back there for just over 2 hours, got off the bike with icicles hanging under his nose. He had to hold my toolbox and a pair of mufflers that I had lashed to the pillion seat & pegs for my kid brother's RD400 Yamaha, I was taking them to Austin (260 miles each way) to re-install them on his bike. The best part was in the dark at 70MPH in the cold rain, trying to pass 18 wheelers, the bike would stall out when I hit their bow wake! Couldn't see a bloody thing till I broke through the wake...

Last edited by GrandPaul; 12/19/17 4:46 am.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719351
12/19/17 5:49 am
12/19/17 5:49 am
Kent Garden of England
Kent Shaun Online content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
Good on ya Dibnah lad.... :bigt

Only goes to show Up I'm right, doing mad stuff makes for great yarn spinning for the oxygen tent... wink

Course MY coldest ride was going to a Hot Rod rally in Holland, but that yarn would cost y'all a beer... grin

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719352
12/19/17 6:50 am
12/19/17 6:50 am
Christchurch NZ
R Moulding Online content
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Brass Monkey 4 or 5 years ago (i think). Was a relatively warm night for the location but a bitterly cold morning saw me park the old Girl next to a fire drum to try and warm the oil enough that I could kick it fast enough to fire. We planned to head south to Cromwell before turning towards home (Christchurch) staying the night at Omarama . Next morning was very cold and frosty, I was well dressed in thermals, jeans, jumper, lined over trousers, polar fleece Buff and big 3/4 winter jacket. Over all that I had a wet weather suit and winter gloves with thermal under gloves.

The cold started to bite almost instantly as we headed out towards Tekapo, just after Twizel the snow started. It settled quickly and the side of the road blended with the grass verges. We made are way best we could at about 40 mph. The inside and outside of the visor iced up so that I couldn't clear it and with it up I could feel the ice forming on the Buff wrapped around my nose and mouth. Three times the old Girl displayed her displeasure and tried to high side me as the front wheel kept trying to wipe out under me. Coming down the hill into Tekapo I noticed smoke from the chimney of the pub, it was just before lunch. Riding across the car park I bumped the bike up the curb and through the gap into the covered smokers area.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We sat for a few hours waiting for Burks pass to re open trying to avoid the temptation of Rum and drying layers of cloths by the log burner. When I finally arrived home it took a long very hot bath before I could feel the important parts of me. It was bloody cold!

Rod

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719353
12/19/17 8:23 am
12/19/17 8:23 am
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
W
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wilfred  Offline
BritBike Forum member
W

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Too many to remember but I do remember the winter of 61/62......After too many threats from the local fuzz about the lack of lights that worked on the 57 Clipper, I went to the dark side for a time and bought a 60 Honda 305 Dream. On the first snowy morning, the 53 Hillman wouldn't start so out came the Dream and for the next three weeks rode it to work every day in the snow. The only warmth I could muster came from the Sunday edition of the local paper inside the front of my Uncle's old motorcycle jacket. Even took a girl out to a party on it and don't know how we survived. Probably the beer helped.

Much later in life, I came home one cold November night from visiting Gordo an hour and half away so we wired in my never used with heat electric vest but I had to abandon it when I lost the headlight whenever I slowed down or stopped at a traffic light as the battery was well past it's best before date.......then there was the 2 hour ride in the winter to go to a lunch with a bunch of the guys we used to race with to find that none had ridden there on their bikes and I discovered the joys of the huge coffee cup that I could get my hands INTO rather than just around........more of a 6 months only kind of rider now at 76......what a wimp.

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719449
12/20/17 3:19 am
12/20/17 3:19 am
Overland Missouri
O
old mule Offline
BritBike Forum member
old mule  Offline
BritBike Forum member
O

Overland Missouri
In about 1990 in darkest Minneapolis I was stir crazy watching the thermometer, told the then-wife, "It's -24F, if it gets down to 25 I'm going to the 400 Club"
It did, put on thermal underwear, (two layers, one silk) and my Dainese racing suit, with Belstaff jacket over all. And heavy winter gloves.
I got my black 1946 Raleigh out and took off through the snow, staggered into the bar, had a hot brandy on the house. All the other diehard barfiends cheered me.
Then back off to home, exactly one mile. BUT I had forgotten to think about the wind, which had been behind me on my trip out. After half a mile, over the Mississippi bridge, I became so exhausted that I had to walk beside the bike, into the wind. And a tiny hole worn by the handlebar levers over the years, which I had never before noticed, started my index finger and then my hand to become numb.
Into the hot bathtub with another hot brandy!
I bragged like mad for weeks about that ride.

Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719463
12/20/17 8:21 am
12/20/17 8:21 am
belgium
ludwig Offline
BritBike Forum member
ludwig  Offline
BritBike Forum member

belgium
In Europe ( Germany ) we have the ' Elefantentreffen ' .
I only went there once . Rallies are not my thing , but this one is quite an experience ..
Lots of video on youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe98K0owWTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_zSQbYWrY

etc ...

Last edited by ludwig; 12/20/17 11:06 am.
Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719478
12/20/17 1:16 pm
12/20/17 1:16 pm
Pennsyltuckey
ricochetrider Offline

Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Offline

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Coldest ride?
Rode a Honda Helix for a bit, it was a loaner from a friend- just for the fun of it. On my inaugural ride home, in daylight, it was around mid 20s (F) with black ice all over the place. Slipping & sliding on the country roads up north... not sure how I did not crash the thing, blind luck I suppose. I was wearing a bright orange neoprene & ballistic nylon submarine deck suit with tape over the full length zipper. Some sort of winter gloves and possibly baggies over top of them? That ride was probably 75 miles, +/-. On another occasion, I rode home from somewhere down in West Virginia. I began the day in temps around 30 degrees, but it warmed up to the high 30s. That was a long day of several hundred miles. I've done some fairly long distance rides in temperatures ranging from high 30s to low 40s. The modern riding gear helps tremendously but the cold eventually seeps in, specially at the hands & feet. At some point I'll get some heated gear. No more newspaper and gaff tape!

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: old mule] #719496
12/20/17 4:48 pm
12/20/17 4:48 pm
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Originally Posted by old mule
In about 1990 in darkest Minneapolis I was stir crazy watching the thermometer, told the then-wife, "It's -24F, if it gets down to 25 I'm going to the 400 Club"
It did, put on thermal underwear, (two layers, one silk) and my Dainese racing suit, with Belstaff jacket over all. And heavy winter gloves.
I got my black 1946 Raleigh out ...

Nice! Completely forgot about the bicycle adventures! Growing up in VT I had the largest paper-route in town, about 60-70 homes. There were probably three of us in total to cover the entire village, of course I had the route that travelled the farthest. mad Would balance my canvas paper bag on the handlebars of my '71 Raleigh 3-speed and deliver year-round like that. MANY a morning well below zero with a few inches of snow to navigate. I remember the wheels sliding out from under me and hitting the ground on more than one occasion! Took about 30-45 minutes to complete my route, home to eat breakfast, then off to school....

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719525
12/20/17 9:07 pm
12/20/17 9:07 pm
Nor. California
D
Deadstiffcatt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Deadstiffcatt  Offline
BritBike Forum member
D

Nor. California
Back in the '70's, I was living about 7 hours (by jet) south of the Alaskan Aleutian Islands. I woke up to one of the coldest and windiest days of December that had been seen yet. Temperatures had dropped down to a chilly 72 degrees, and fierce winds were beating the coastline at maybe 3 or 4 miles per hour. I looked out the window, and could actually see a leaf or two being pummeled by the winds ferocity! Being out of smokes, I figured that I had to brave it all and go get some more. I went and pulled the bike out of it's shed, nearly getting my hair messed up by the intense winds. Figuring that I should play it safe, I donned not only a t-shirt, but also put on my open toed sandals. I warmed the bike up, and hit the road. Taking a right turn out of the driveway, I looked at the steep hill I had to climb and hoped that those gusty winds wouldn't make it too tough to get up it . I glanced over at blind Mr. Jenson's house as I shifted into second, and was surprised to see that he was out in the blustery cold. I gave him a hearty wave, which he promptly returned. As I made it past his house, I came upon Mrs. Perkin's dog chasing a stray cat, both so cold in the 72 degree temps that they were slowly walking as they crossed her yard, her dog ever so slowly catching up to the cat. Just past her house I pulled into the topless mini mart and bar, and pulled over and parked on the sunny side of a bush to warm up. I was quite impressed that the bike had made the climb, because sure enough, as I was only 300 yards from my house, the wind was still quite fierce; every now and then a leaf would shake in that fierce wind. (I'd even guess that there may have been gusts as strong as 5 miles per hour!)
I went on in, got a fresh pack of smokes, and headed out to the seating area on the deck, fortunately surrounded by clear plexiglass to help break the wind. Looking down on the beach, I could see that the normally smooth ocean was being whipped into a frenzy by the wind, causing massive 3 inch waves to come roaring up a good 6 inches onto the beach. At this point I was so amazed by this cold weather phenomenon that I decided to get a drink and check things out for a bit. Jennifer, the bartender, offered to make a mai tai with no umbrella, figuring that it would help keep the ice in my drink a bit warmer once the sunlight hit it. I heartily agreed, and took my drink on out to the enclosed deck to brave the wind and cold and see what was up.
As I looked out at all the people on the beach, the first thing to become apparent was the difference in beachwear between the locals and the tourists. It was quite easy to spot, the female tourists were all wearing bikinis, quite evidently unaware that a cold front had gripped the area. On the other hand, all the local girls were in one piece suits, braving those nasty 72 degree temps. Even the lifeguards were feeling it- when one came into the store for a drink, he just reached into the cooler and opened it right up without pouring it into a glass of ice! As time went on, I could see by the thermometer on the deck that it had dropped to 71 degrees, looking at the nearby pineapple trees and banana bushes I could still see the occasional leaf move, and I figured that I had had enough.
I went back out to the bike, that 4 mile per hour wind still fiercely blowing, and gauged whether or not the bike would have problems for that steep uphill ride back home. Dropping it into first, I hung a left and headed back up the same hill I climbed to get here. As I passed by Mrs. Perkins house once again, I was impressed that the dog was still slowly chasing the slow walking cat, and their progress had been about 20 feet. It must have been a real battle for them, having to fight that wind in such a cold temperature! As I passed blind Mr. Jenson's place, he looked at me and gave another wave as I slipped into my driveway. I returned the wave, and parked the bike, happy that I had made it over 600 yards round trip in such foul weather. I popped into the house, deciding that another mai tai was in order, making it with only four cubes of ice instead of the usual five. Yep, that was one cold ride I'll never forget!

Last edited by Deadstiffcatt; 12/20/17 9:11 pm.
Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719526
12/20/17 9:35 pm
12/20/17 9:35 pm
belgium
ludwig Offline
BritBike Forum member
ludwig  Offline
BritBike Forum member

belgium
Awesome adventure Deadstiffcat !
You sure must be a happy man now that California is warming up a bit :

[Linked Image]

Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719534
12/20/17 10:03 pm
12/20/17 10:03 pm
melbourne florida
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

melbourne florida
Moved to Florida 37 years ago. In the winter of 2013 the 45 rule was implemented. If it was below 45, doors and a heater were required. (And I still have my 81 GS-1000 with a Vetter Windjammer) Do not remember any freezing cold rides way back in my youth.

Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719577
12/21/17 6:52 am
12/21/17 6:52 am
UK
D
Dibnah Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Dibnah  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D

UK
Cardigan for Deadstiffcat!

Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719655
12/21/17 9:40 pm
12/21/17 9:40 pm
Overland Missouri
O
old mule Offline
BritBike Forum member
old mule  Offline
BritBike Forum member
O

Overland Missouri
dibs on movie rights, DSCat!

Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719656
12/21/17 9:46 pm
12/21/17 9:46 pm
Overland Missouri
O
old mule Offline
BritBike Forum member
old mule  Offline
BritBike Forum member
O

Overland Missouri
dibs on movie rights, DSCat!

Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: ludwig] #719745
12/22/17 8:44 pm
12/22/17 8:44 pm
kelso scotland
Y
yosemite Online content
BritBike Forum member
yosemite  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Y

kelso scotland
Originally Posted by ludwig
In Europe ( Germany ) we have the ' Elefantentreffen ' .
I only went there once . Rallies are not my thing , but this one is quite an experience ..
Lots of video on youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe98K0owWTk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_zSQbYWrY

etc ...

was there in the ,late eighties on a shaft drve triple yam, wore normal clothes,then an ex german army one piece tank suit, like an oversize babygrow then leathers and finally a set of rukka oversuit, heated gloves under normal gloves and rukka overmits, full face helmet with liner, forgot the helmet lineronce and my beard snapped and stuck to bottom of chinguard..
main problem was toilet stops had to leave plenty of time to get through all the layers
had trail bike tyres on , took my time, no real problem until I was as usual late for work, and it started to shed bits of tyre when I forgot it had tyres rated to 75mph and a MUCH lower load ended up going to Westgate road to get new tyres at dinner break

Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: Dibnah] #719801
12/23/17 3:07 pm
12/23/17 3:07 pm
North Georgia, USA
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
Not the coldest riding ever, but the first time I thought to record it on camera.....

40F recorded on a bank time/temp sign
Heated grips and a full fairing are game changers.

It was at least that cold in 2016 leaving Blowing Rock, NC after the TSMR riding with Lannis & Co.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA
Re: Coldest ride out? [Re: RF Whatley] #719807
12/23/17 3:37 pm
12/23/17 3:37 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by RF Whatley
Not the coldest riding ever, but the first time I thought to record it on camera.....

It was at least that cold in 2016 leaving Blowing Rock, NC after the TSMR riding with Lannis & Co.

Come to think of it, that WAS a cold ride! And the mountainside and trees covered with ice, acres and acres of it, made it feel even colder! That little ranger station with a fire going in the stove felt mighty good ....

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership