BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
nisse
nisse
sweden
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
20 registered members (blackrag), 167 guests, and 456 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
hondapete1950, Gaspare, eberhard, Norman Woollons, LandoLando
10257 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 76
Lannis 55
TBolt72 47
Popular Topics(Views)
610,816 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,150
Posts651,648
Members10,257
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
'New' Gold Star for Sale #715548
11/17/17 7:53 pm
11/17/17 7:53 pm
Elko, Nevada USA
dave - NV Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Elko, Nevada USA
interesting ..
https://www.eBay.com/itm/182905080528?ul_noapp=true
New Gold Star for sale

Last edited by Morgan aka Admin; 11/18/17 11:14 am.

dave - NV
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: 'New' Gold Star for Sale [Re: dave - NV] #715557
11/17/17 9:02 pm
11/17/17 9:02 pm
Orygone
Boomer Online content

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
Orygone
Several things on this machine that look like this may have been restored or at least changed in the past that would point out that this machine has more than "virtually no miles". Not sure the Catalinas ever came with ally wheels and a 190 front brake but who knows? I could be a nit picker and point out more but not sure thats a good thing.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: 'New' Gold Star for Sale [Re: dave - NV] #715628
11/18/17 3:17 pm
11/18/17 3:17 pm
Elburn, Ill. USA
I
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Offline
BritBike Forum member
I
Elburn, Ill. USA
The bike may be a Gold Star "Allsport," made one year only. The aluminum tank and lack of rear frame loops for passenger peg mounting is a dead give-away.

Re: 'New' Gold Star for Sale [Re: Irish Swede] #715630
11/18/17 3:47 pm
11/18/17 3:47 pm
U.S.
Magnetoman Online content

BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
U.S.
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
The bike may be a Gold Star "Allsport," made one year only. The aluminum tank and lack of rear frame loops for passenger peg mounting is a dead give-away.
"Allsports" ("Special Competition") were made from Feb. 1960 through June 1963 and, although they are shown in the catalog with an Al tank like the one on eBay, their engines were stamped with a 'C' under the number rather than the 'S' for the Catalina, and the frames were the same as the Clubman, stamped CB32 rather than CB32C, and with both rear frame loops. As Boomer noted there are differences from the "normal" configuration, but the engine and frame definitely are Catalina.

Re: 'New' Gold Star for Sale [Re: dave - NV] #715650
11/18/17 7:54 pm
11/18/17 7:54 pm
Elko, Nevada USA
dave - NV Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Elko, Nevada USA
Gents ... My guess the GS is a true Catalina. We are aware BSA was building bikes from the 'parts bin' during that period. The Monoblock carb and air cleaner are good indications. I believe the '63 model GSs were BSA's last gasp. The 'Allsports', aka Competition models I'm moderately experienced with had a 1 1/2" GP and no air filter, a 1 7/8 exhaust head pipe and OEM mega, alloy rims and a 190 front brake. I vaguely remember assembling one at a Denver dealership 'way back when'. My '61 Competition I bought used and much abused years ago has/had a GP carb, alu fuel tank and rear frame loops with rear set fittings, the large exhaust and a Comp magneto. I robbed parts from it for some years and I've since built it up with many modifications as my "Improved" Gold Star road bike.
On 'n on we go.. sheeze.

Last edited by dave - NV; 11/18/17 8:03 pm.

dave - NV
Re: 'New' Gold Star for Sale [Re: dave - NV] #715662
11/18/17 9:02 pm
11/18/17 9:02 pm
Bolton Lancs UK
A
Andy Higham Offline
BritBike Forum member
Andy Higham  Offline
BritBike Forum member
A
Bolton Lancs UK
Building bikes from the "parts bin" BSA did that for years. eg. the early A10 forks and wheels (crinkle hub) made a re-appearance on A65s years later

1955 BSA B31 500cc "Stargazer"
1962 Greeves 200cc "Blue Meanie"
1962/67 Greeves 350
1967 Greeves 360 Challenger
1984 Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500cc sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500cc "Llareggub"
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
Re: 'New' Gold Star for Sale [Re: dave - NV] #715692
11/19/17 12:03 am
11/19/17 12:03 am
Orygone
Boomer Online content

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
Orygone
All of the "All Sports" competitions I have seen, owned, and seen advertised in brochures show them with steel wheels and the 8" front brake. Same with the Catalinas. This bike that is advertised has the Catalina head, Monobloc carb, Catalina air cleaner, and the "S" stamped under the engine numbers to indicate a scrambler engine. I would be skeptical that the factory had a set of alloy wheels with the 190 brake lying around in the parts bins to use up to throw on a scrambler, that's quite an upgrade.

I'm just trying to point out that the ad claims "all original, virtually no miles" and a huge price of $23,500. For a restored Catalina scrambler that is probably in the $12,000 to $15,000 range with an upgrade of another $1500 for the wheels and front brake, I'd say it's a tad overpriced and overstated.

Bill B...

PS: After looking closer I notice the rear wheel is a WM3/18 and the off side hub looks to have a cover over the rear wheel speedo drive. Could it be that these wheels are off of an A65 Spitfire?

Last edited by Boomer; 11/19/17 12:34 am.

Boomer
Re: 'New' Gold Star for Sale [Re: Boomer] #715848
11/19/17 10:45 pm
11/19/17 10:45 pm
U.S.
Magnetoman Online content

BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
U.S.
Originally Posted by Boomer
I would be skeptical that the factory had a set of alloy wheels with the 190 brake lying around in the parts bins to use up to throw on a scrambler, that's quite an upgrade.
the rear wheel is a WM3/18 and the off side hub looks to have a cover over the rear wheel speedo drive.
The gap under the rear mudguard looks exceptionally large because it is, since off-road Gold Stars commonly had 19" wheels. It also has a bolt-on sprocket which only the Special Competition did, but the latter came with 19" wheels. Further, all Gold Stars used a simple, cheap spacer on the right side, not a relatively expensive speedo drive that wouldn't have been useful since the gearbox already had a speedo drive.

For what it's worth, my 1963 Special Competition was shipped in May with only 45 Gold Stars of any kind shipped after it. It has an engine no. 250+ higher than the eBay Catalina whose production I would estimate was eight months earlier. Despite mine having been closer to the end of production, it came to me without "unusual" features like 18" wheels or rear wheel speedometer drive. While it's possible the Catalina was shipped the way it is now, and it's also possible mine was a factory parts bin bitza that was brought back to standard specification before I bought it, I would bet against either if it were me.

The point of this isn't to pick on the bike. These are useful exercises to go through for anyone considering dropping $23.5k (or even $5k or $10k less than that) on a Gold Star.

p.s.
Originally Posted by Boomer
a restored Catalina scrambler that is probably in the $12,000 to $15,000 range
If in person the bike looks as nice as it does in pictures, and if there were no mechanical issues, and if it had the proper wheels and front brake, and if its 54-year old magneto had its dead or near-death condenser properly replaced, I'd estimate its worth to be $2-3k higher than Bill does. Selling the alloy wheels and 190 mm brake and locating replacements in the same condition might leave someone ahead by $1k which means, if I'm correct, at the top end its fair market value would be ~$19k. Maybe a bit less because I just noticed the right handgrip has suffered in some unknown accident.

p.p.s. Offline someone pointed out that it has a sidestand, and that it looks bolted on. I enlarged the image as much as I could with Photoshop and it certainly looks like there's a bracket for the stand that's attached by a bolt straight through the frame tube. This is another "feature" that is unlikely to original to the factory.

Last edited by Magnetoman; 11/20/17 5:42 am. Reason: p.s. and p.p.s.
Re: 'New' Gold Star for Sale [Re: dave - NV] #715915
11/20/17 3:58 pm
11/20/17 3:58 pm
Georgia Mountains
G
goodtry Offline
BritBike Forum member
goodtry  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
Georgia Mountains
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I know what my bike is and the history, his bike looks very similar so it could indeed be mostly original. I like to see original paint drips from the frame, note the original rocker oil line in the upside down location and the bracket holding the rear of the air cleaner to the frame. The picture of his side stand could show the bolt at an angle but the stand certainly looks correct. All in all a nice bike. Ian says the bike shipped in August 1962 right about the same time mine shipped. Engine numbers are only 16 apart. If it's been restored, then two bikes from different parts of the country were done exactly the same way.........Unless we were actually on the assembly line, it's hard to tell exactly how these were specifically made. Brochures are essentially sales drawings of what it could be or a close representation. Glad to see another bike out there to confirm some actual as built data.

Re: 'New' Gold Star for Sale [Re: dave - NV] #715916
11/20/17 4:03 pm
11/20/17 4:03 pm
Georgia Mountains
G
goodtry Offline
BritBike Forum member
goodtry  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
Georgia Mountains
[Linked Image]

Maybe two wrongs do make a right!

Re: 'New' Gold Star for Sale [Re: dave - NV] #715930
11/20/17 5:51 pm
11/20/17 5:51 pm
Orygone
Boomer Online content

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
Orygone
I don't know about two wrongs, I see more things wrong then that for this machine to be "all original, virtually no miles". Wrong wheels, aftermarket megaphone, later decompression lever, and I could go on but my point wasn't to pick it apart as I stated in my first post, not trying to be a nit picker. I just think that overstating what it is, it is a very beautiful Gold Star, to justify asking a very high price is opening the owner up to just such nit picking. For that kind of money it should be perfect.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: 'New' Gold Star for Sale [Re: dave - NV] #715933
11/20/17 6:55 pm
11/20/17 6:55 pm
Georgia Mountains
G
goodtry Offline
BritBike Forum member
goodtry  Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
Georgia Mountains
I agree thats a stiff price, and the owner states he is not an expert. I personally like to understand the history of a particular item whether it be a weapon, motorcycle, etc. If the seller could produce the original MSO, original shipping documents and an original BSA crate, then have tons of pictures dating back to almost new, that would change some of the dynamics of his sale.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership