BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Doug Barisone
Doug Barisone
california, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
211 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,665 guests, and 560 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 191
koan58 99
Stuart 84
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
438,413 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,287
Posts632,399
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#707878 - 09/10/17 1:12 am Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50  
OriginalScott Online content
BritBike Forum member
OriginalScott  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

NY
I have wanted a B50 for a while but they never seem to come up for sale within a reasonable distance to me. I found one on Craigslist about 3 hours away and at a time that I had some extra money to spend. My son and I spent about 7 hours in the car today going to look at and purchase the B50. Along the way we blew our minds to the Led Zeppelin box set. Here it is back home in the driveway:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The Good:
The P.O. did some nice work on it. He added a B25 Oil Filter. The Cylinder has been bored and a new 40 over piston installed. He updated the electrics with a modern regulator/rectifier. It has new tires and I think the front shoes are new. There is also a new JRC carb on it.

It runs well and starts pretty easy.

The Bad:
Its Brown.

The original controls have been replaced with what look like Emgo controls and they are junk. Fortunately the original Lucas switches and levers were included.

Its Brown.

The original dual seat was chopped.

It leaks oil.

Its Brown.

There is a mishmash of fasteners, hose clips, and cable ties used everywhere.

Many of the original parts are gone.

Questions:
What the heck is supposed to cover the gearbox sprocket? The P.O. used a piece of aluminum but I would rather have the correct cover.
[Linked Image]

The first of many posts as I rebuild this bike into a nice street scrambler that is reliable and fun.
Thanks
Scott

P.S. This project is also being posted on B50.org but I thought I would document it here as well considering I have been a forum member since the old BSA Pitstop and I have never done a project thread.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#707899 - 09/10/17 7:33 am Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Aus
I love it.........

But........ It's Brown!

#707902 - 09/10/17 8:46 am Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: NickL]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Originally Posted by NickL
I love it.........

But........ It's Brown!

But........ It hasn't always been brown. It was yellow.

My first guess about the sprocket cover was that the top of the case covered the sprocket until one time when the chain wadded up and made a hole there. I am probably wrong about that though, because I know nothing about BSA's. Maybe it was made that way and the original cover is missing?

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
#707916 - 09/10/17 12:34 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
An expert at the B50 forum clued me in. The original cover is missing. It is a steel bracket type contraption called a "Chainguard Extension". The part number is 83-2674 and it looks like reproductions are available. I will placing an order for one on Monday.

[Linked Image]

Scott

#707925 - 09/10/17 2:14 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
Attempting to limit the amount of oil that seems to coat the rear fender / seat area and understand the breather arrangement. The breather runs up under the seat and terminates in a cup like valve. The result is a nice coating of oil sits all over the rear fender and seat pan. I have done some searching and there seems to be many different opinions on what to do with the breather. The way it is currently is just to short and straight to block any mist that comes out of the tube. Anyone have any thoughts because this set-up is going in the bin.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks
Scott

#708033 - 09/11/17 2:28 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
I am going to replace the breather with a stock system with the stock filter. A few minutes with some unifoam and scissors and its ready to be put back into service.

[Linked Image]

The next issue is oil hoses. This may be one of those B50 things but I cannot for the life of me understand why the oil feed was run to a T fitting. So here is what I have:
Oil feed from the frame down tube to a T. One side to the feed pipe on the crankcase the other to a spigot on the rear of the top frame tube.

[Linked Image]

Oil return pipe to the B25 Oil Filter. Out of the oil filter to the return spigot on the underside of the top frame tube. The smaller oil return hose to the rocker feed pipe.

[Linked Image]

There is also a tank breather hose next to the oil filler location on the frame that runs to the ground.

[Linked Image]

Am I misunderstanding the feed from the frame? Just by looking at it the feed should only come from the front downtube on the frame. The rear frame tube spigot is puzzling me.

Thanks
Scott

#708034 - 09/11/17 2:38 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
That looks like a great project.

I wouldn't be TOO hopeful that "The P.O. did some nice work on it." A lot of the "nice work", like the rebore and the wiring, is stuff that you won't know if it's nice or not for a while. The work you CAN see was cheap and bodged-up, so I'd take the philosophy that "if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck ...."

At any rate, I (like you and many more of us) have this unexplained desire to own and ride one of these bikes, so we'll be real interested in how the project gets along!

Lanni

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#708040 - 09/11/17 3:26 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
Dennis B Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dennis B  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Annapolis, MD
Hi Scott
if you strip the paint from that tank you will find a real gem underneath
(unless it's full of dents)
I'm not an expert in the plumbing of these OIF bikes, but i'm not so sure about your
oil feed from the rear frame spigot
on mine there is a plug here for drainage during an oil change
if this feeds oil to your pump, then it bypasses the filter at the bottom of the down tube
the T doesn't seem to make sense?
your handlebars and controls look OK to me
that headlight however

Cheers
Dennis B

Member # 182
'73 750 Commando
'72 Combat Commando
'71 Triumph Blazer
'69 Victors
'68 Starfire
'51 Royal Enfield 250 'S'

#708068 - 09/11/17 6:45 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ewing. NJ
The line from the rear part of the upper frame tube tying into a tee with the oil line from the front down tube is recommended by those in the know. The thought is that the oil in the top tube doesn't circulate otherwise, and effectively the oil capacity is reduced to the front down tube. It is a popular modification. I have it on both of my OIF unit singles. It is shown in detail on the B50 website.

Ed from NJ

#708070 - 09/11/17 6:59 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Ewing. NJ
Also, on the breather, I just run a large plastic line out to the rear fender. I don't get any drips from it. Some folks use various reed valves, PCV valves, or truck booster brake valves. Others use catch cans. If you are getting a lot of oil out of yours, you might have a blow-by issue. You say that it is easy to start. It should be difficult to start unless you know the proper drill. I am a big guy, almost 300 pounds, and my B50 is the only bike I have ever had that I can stand on the kickstarter when the engine is on compression and it doesn't budge. Any oil on the plug?

Ed from NJ

#708147 - 09/12/17 11:59 am Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
Thanks everyone. I understand the oil modification now. I have to see how the spigot was screwed into the rear frame bung before I decide to keep the arrangement or not. Either way I will get a new T and better lines/clamps.

It is relatively easy to start. I went into this purchase thinking I was going to get a hard starting temperamental machine just based on what I have read. The bike has loads of compression and I can stand on the lever with it on full compression. The procedure worked better than I thought it would. Get it on compression. Let some out with the lever. Then kick. I was surprised it was that easy that's all.

Scott

#708153 - 09/12/17 1:04 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
Tridentman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
The frame has a female 3/8" UNF thread.
HTH

#708156 - 09/12/17 1:25 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by OriginalScott
Thanks everyone. I understand the oil modification now. I have to see how the spigot was screwed into the rear frame bung before I decide to keep the arrangement or not. Either way I will get a new T and better lines/clamps.

It is relatively easy to start. I went into this purchase thinking I was going to get a hard starting temperamental machine just based on what I have read. The bike has loads of compression and I can stand on the lever with it on full compression. The procedure worked better than I thought it would. Get it on compression. Let some out with the lever. Then kick. I was surprised it was that easy that's all.

Scott

Every B50 I've been around, IF you did it properly, was a one-kick starter, cold.

But ... when HOT ... watch out! Every bike had its own idiosyncrasy that needed to be sorted out. Mr Mike has an oversized idle stop screw that he knows to give JUST the right twist to to make it start hot. Some folks have never been able to find that sweet spot and kick and cuss for a while.

Just for info, let us know how you get yours started when it's good and hot ... !

Lannis

#708163 - 09/12/17 2:24 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY

I suspect a different size was used. I didn't take pictures but the fitting looks smaller that 3/8 which has me concerned that it is screwed into something else and that was screwed into the frame. I'm just hoping the threads that are there are not in bad shape.

Well with the condition of the bike and the paint on the frame I have decided it's time to pull it all apart and repaint/clean/service everything. I was hoping to get away with just rebuilding the engine and checking everything else but I won't be happy with that. So the hot starts are going to have to wait until spring. The Hammer is coming apart. Many pictures and questions to come. The good news is that parts are already on the way.

Scott

#708167 - 09/12/17 2:44 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by OriginalScott

I suspect a different size was used. I didn't take pictures but the fitting looks smaller that 3/8 which has me concerned that it is screwed into something else and that was screwed into the frame. I'm just hoping the threads that are there are not in bad shape.

Well with the condition of the bike and the paint on the frame I have decided it's time to pull it all apart and repaint/clean/service everything. I was hoping to get away with just rebuilding the engine and checking everything else but I won't be happy with that. So the hot starts are going to have to wait until spring. The Hammer is coming apart. Many pictures and questions to come. The good news is that parts are already on the way.

Scott

Your peace of mind will be immense if you go this way ... If stuff is Good, then you can say "Wow, got a deal there!" If stuff is Not Good, you can say "I know how to make THIS right!" And you'll have it just the way you want!

Lannis

#709473 - 09/23/17 10:14 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: Lannis]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
The tear down has begun. I'm happy to say some of the brown parts are no longer in my possession and hopefully they all find new homes. It looks better already. Here is a list of what needs to be done:

- Head needs to be sent out for valve job and fin repair
- Barrel and new piston need to be checked
- Fix oil leaks - The gearbox sprocket is leaking along with just about every other gasket
- Clean up the oil lines
- Alloy fenders and tank
- New Single Seat
- New high exhaust and silencer
- New handlebars
- Shouldered alloy rims with stainless spokes
- Pirelli MT90 tires
- All new cables and bearings
- A million little things I can't think of at the moment

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The goal is to have it completed by Spring.

Scott

#709676 - 09/25/17 11:06 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
Here's some gas tank archeology and a few questions. I always knew the Hammer would have an alloy tank. The bike will be primarily ridden on the street so the tank had to be the 2 gallon version. Holtworks makes a beautiful tank for the B50 but it is the 1 gallon version. I asked if they would build me a 2 gallon tank but they said no. Burton Bike Bits shows a 2 gallon alloy tank on their website. When I asked about their tank they said they no longer carry them. The 3rd option was an Indian made tank. Too many potential issues to deal with. The right option for me was a used tank. This is undoubtedly the most expensive route but the right option for the bike I want to build. I won this beauty about a week ago.

[Linked Image]

Unfortunately it showed up with old varnished gas still in the tank, bubble wrap and box. There are a few dents but overall I am happy to have an original BSA tank. I cleaned it out this weekend but I have a few questions. What size cap does the alloy tank have? It seems obvious but I can only find a new gasket for 2" caps and 2.5" caps. The 2" seems a little small and the 2.5" seems too big.

[Linked Image]

There appears to be yellow paint under the black paint. The decals are the older style and there is the remnants of a red pinstripe. Does anyone think this could have been repainted by BSA?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

There are dents. These will have to be pushed out from the inside. Once the dents are removed then I can get the tank polished. I'm still unsure if I will be getting it painted in the original style or just leave it polished.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scott

#709965 - 09/29/17 8:06 am Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
The dents at the front can either be from the yoke stops being wrong or BSA denting the tank to suit the yoke stops. If they are symmetrical then more likely Factory made, if not or you only have one then its the yoke stops were wrong on the bike it came off but worth checking yours.

http://www.b50.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7791

Anyway, what I was saying was that I bought a brand new, genuine BSA alloy tank for my B50T in about 1981. It came with exactly those dents. I queried it with the place I got it from and was assured it was a genuine BSA tank (and it was obviously brand new). So I just polished the whole thing up, painted it and used it.

If you look at those dents, you'll probably find that they are far too identical/symmetrical, and nicely formed, to be accidental damage. BSA must have made tanks with these dents 'off the shelf', presumably so that owners could file the stops back on the lower yoke and get more lock for proper trials riding?

#710033 - 09/29/17 11:21 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: kommando]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
The dents in my tank are not symmetrical so they didn't come from Small Heath. I'm having a hard time getting someone to attempt to remove them. It is ok for now but I want a really nice tank on this bike by Spring.

The motor is out. It was heavier than I expected but nothing like my CB750 motor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scott

#710143 - 10/01/17 1:35 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
The top end is off. I got a chance to see the new piston the P.O. installed. It is a GPM piston. I will be replacing the this with a JE piston from E & V Engineering. The head and cylinder are being sent to Ed V for refurbishing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scott

#711667 - 10/15/17 7:24 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
Small Update:

The head and cylinder have been sent out. The frame and cycle parts are out for stripping and painting. The motor is slowly coming apart. The clutch and primary have been stripped. The timimg cover and gearbox are next. There was no thrust washer between the clutch center and the basket. Did all B50s come with the thrust washer?

Rollers - no thrust washer. They look like they are level with the basket
[Linked Image]

Back of the basket. There is a machined cut out for the clutch center to fit into but no machined area for the thrust washer.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scott

Last edited by OriginalScott; 10/16/17 2:56 am.
#711848 - 10/17/17 9:46 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
If its the same as an A65, the thrust washer sits around the OD of the rollers between the basket back and the roller track centre, it should be steel one side and bronze the other. I know some unit singles didnt have this , Check out B50. org.
Good pic of the case ventilation breather filters, nice touch, not sure if that was stock or not.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 10/17/17 9:47 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
#713867 - 11/04/17 9:14 pm Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: gavin eisler]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
Here is a small update while I wait for the engine and frame to come back.
Polished Engine Covers:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

New AMAL Premier 930 carb with screw on Air Filter:
[Linked Image]

The inspiration for my bike is the BSA D/R Kit or how to turn a street B50 into a dirt B50. Here's the pictures from the brochure:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

High pipe with MCM Spark Arrestor:
[Linked Image]

Single Seat:
[Linked Image]

Scott

Last edited by OriginalScott; 11/04/17 9:17 pm.
#713885 - 11/05/17 1:19 am Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
TR6Ray Online content
BritBike Forum member
TR6Ray  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Illinois, USA
Very nice, Scott. Will it be too pretty to ride off-road?

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
#714442 - 11/10/17 1:32 am Re: Hammer of the Gods - Rebuilding a B50 [Re: OriginalScott]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

NY
Thanks Ray. The goal is a real nice shiny bike but I will still try it on a few trails this summer.

Another small update while I wait for the frame and motor.

The bike came with an aftermarket compression release lever but the original was included in the box of bits. The housing cleaned up surprisingly well but the lever was a little too trashed. I called and emailed several chrome platers but they all had minimum order requirements and either didn't want to chrome just the lever or wanted to charge me alot for it. Niagara Custom Plating to the rescue. I decided I wasn't going to call or email but rather just show up and see what they said. No problem. Dropped it off on Friday, picked it up on Wednesday.

Needs a little polish:
[Linked Image]

Shiny:
[Linked Image]

I have been doing much reading on how to get the best from the Conical Brake. The consensus seems to use either Lockheed shoes or have the original shoes re-lined but stay away from the Emgo shoes. I try to live my life by the motto "Stay away from Emgo everything". There was a real debate over lengthening the brake arms or keeping them stock. I went for the longer arms but I have the originals if I find I don't like the feel of the brake. I also cleaned the hub and plate of what can only be called a mix of grease and brake dust. There was a solid coating of the stuff everywhere. Lacquer thinner took it right off. While I had it apart the plate was stripped of the wrinkle finish and polished. I lightly greased the arms and everything else went back together bone dry. I did not grease the adjusters because I didn't want grease finding its way onto the shoes.

Original:
[Linked Image]

Stripped:
[Linked Image]

Shiny:
[Linked Image]

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.161s Queries: 16 (0.006s) Memory: 1.0154 MB (Peak: 1.3895 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 01:48:17 UTC