BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Dick1969
Dick1969
The Netherlands
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
226 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,782 guests, and 516 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst
9957 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 71
Popular Topics(Views)
437,557 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,279
Posts632,262
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#714296 - 11/08/17 6:46 pm Standing Stones Of Cornwall  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Cornwall has, among other things, a handful of ancient sites featuring standing stones and stone circles. Today, when out near the village of Minion viewing a site called The Hurlers, we met a gentleman who was flying a drone over the stone circles there.
He has a nice video he made and I thought I'd share it as a sort of preview, in advance of our return home.
Without further adieu, here is the link to the video of Cornwall's standing stones.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/vQc7QU-zHdM[/video]

As a matter of further interest, The Hurlers lies along the St Michael Ley Line or so-called "corridor of incidence".

Michael & Mary Ley Line LINK

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#714303 - 11/08/17 7:44 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
Peter R Online content
BritBike Forum member
Peter R  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Netherlands
Cornwall is an interesting place indeed, we were there a couple of years ago, I loved the old abandoned engine houses of the tin mines, and tried to imagine what these places looked like in the old days.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
#714306 - 11/08/17 8:25 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
Kent Shaun Online content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
Don't say a word about the Cream Teas, the Pasties, the wonderful fish restaurant, or the great November weather Bro. Or they'll ALL be over here..... wink

Just spread the word dude,
Bland food, cold rain filled skys, warm beer...you know the score... bigt

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
#714400 - 11/09/17 5:52 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
Irish Swede Online content
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elburn, Ill. USA
I remember an old Monty Python sketch involving "Cornwall" natives.

Is it true they all wear kimonos, are wild about playing bingo, and speak with a Chinese accent?

#714402 - 11/09/17 6:24 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
Kev. Online sick
BritBike Forum member
Kev.  Online Sick
BritBike Forum member

Royal Berkshire.
Yes

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1950 Vincent Comet
1952 Norton Special
1963 BSA Super Rocket
1970 BSA A65 Lightning
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado x2
2009 Triumph Bonneville (now sold)

#714422 - 11/09/17 10:39 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
old mule Offline
BritBike Forum member
old mule  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Chihuahuan Desert
I went to look at some of those stone circles and Neolithic arch. sites, well worth doing. And had a nice Starry Gazy Pie too.
In the narrow back lanes leading to a site we came upon a giant French tour bus trying to back five miles in reverse, roads are to small for those things.

#714537 - 11/10/17 8:56 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
The stones are indeed well worth a visit. Probably not everyone does, but I find them enchanting. Absolutely fascinating. If it were at all possible, I would spend way more time with them. When Geoff gets his video completed, I'll post it up. The above vid is just the teaser.
Back to the real world tomorrow... As all things must, this lovely holiday is closing quickly.

#714616 - 11/11/17 1:30 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
BeezaBryan Online content
BritBike Forum member
BeezaBryan  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Hurtling forward through time to the 21st century and the Star Disc, a place high above the Derwent that fascinates me whenever I visit

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#714781 - 11/12/17 5:03 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
old mule Offline
BritBike Forum member
old mule  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Chihuahuan Desert
At some of the neolithic round building excavation sites, there are little square holes chiseled into the low walls, about knee high, and about the size of a case of beer. One of the scientists guiding our tour said "it is believed" that those wise ancients used these spaces to keep their beer cool in the hot days of summer.

#714809 - 11/12/17 8:09 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Ha! Pretty funny, Mule!
Bryan, that looks awesome!

#714820 - 11/12/17 9:16 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
We were at Stonehenge shortly after arrival in England. Early in the morning, few people there, great light.

[Linked Image]

#715423 - 11/16/17 8:29 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
I see the stone, but where's the hinge ?

In Elbert County Georgia, we have the Guidestones...
See: http://www.radioliberty.com/stones.htm

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#715456 - 11/16/17 11:59 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: RF Whatley]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by RF Whatley
I see the stone, but where's the hinge ?

In Elbert County Georgia, we have the Guidestones...
See: http://www.radioliberty.com/stones.htm

I note that one of the tenets of the stones is "1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature."

Maybe the guy who commissioned it offed himself to get started on that goal ... ?

Be all that as it may, there's no doubt about what the hundreds of THESE things standing all over Cornwall are for. Like Kentish oast-houses or Virginia tobacco curing barns, they're a memorial to a lost industrial past ... in this case tin-mining ..

[Linked Image]

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#715506 - 11/17/17 11:50 am Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
The old Tin Mines are everywhere Cornwall! Seems like anyone who had an acre or two of land opened a mine.

[Linked Image]

#715656 - 11/18/17 8:19 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
more Merry Madens stone circle photos:

[Linked Image]

Merry Maidens LINK

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ricochetrider; 11/18/17 8:22 pm.

#715664 - 11/18/17 9:23 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
The Hurlers Stone circles site

HURLERS INFO LINK

The Hurlers stone circles are part of a lager area of ancient sites of various ages that comprise multiple stones and structures.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Shan & I made a run up to see this site early one mornng, on a clear, chilly, windy day.

[Linked Image]

Here, (below) you can just see two stacks from the ubiquitous old tin mines that pepper the landscape, in the far distance

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Indeed, the tin mines are everywhere, a large part of Cornwall history!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#715667 - 11/18/17 9:37 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
It's pretty tough to show up for a few days in Cornwall, and not bump into a lot of people, or at least some people at the ancient sites here. Who we were at the Merry Maidens site, a couple guys where there with their drone, and again at Hurlrs, there was a guy with a drone, among others including many hikers and dog walkers, people on horseback, and an entire class of school children!

[Linked Image]

I cannot think of a better day out fora bunch of local kids than to visit these sites to learn what their ancestors were up to a few thousand years ago! bigt

Here is a blurb about The Hurlers, from the above link:

The name The Hurlers derives from morally-loaded folk tale of people petrified for failing to observe the Lord’s Day, in this case local men playing the Celtic sport of hurling. The Merry Maidens and Nine Maidens are other Cornish megalithic sites with similar warnings attached. Furthermore, just to the west of the three circles, two large menhirs stand like gateposts and are known as The Pipers - yet more rebellious locals. However, it is likely that this Bronze Age site was of much more significance, being used for ritual and ceremony, in other words activities deemed Pagan and unacceptable to early Christians hence the cautionary tale.
The location of the Hurlers is of relevance as they lie near the convergence of two rivers, conveniently placing them where travellers and traders would have met. Such a location is not uncommon for stone circles. The surrounding countryside is also peppered with other ancient ceremonial remains in the shape of cists, barrows and standing stones.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We began talking to this man as he flew his drone around making movies... indeed, it was hs introductiry film clip I posted earlier on in this thread. He was super enthusiastic about the stones and about Cornwall's stone circles! Filled with all sorts of information and stories, we walked into nearby Minions and had tea with him, probably hanging out for an hour & a half or so. We made a friend in the process, he was great fun to talk to and his love for these ancient sites is contagious. If I lived closer I would absolutely be out hanging around the stones often. I'd love to get out to visit a site like this on a summer night with a full moon! Although protected and maybe also part of a national trust or even having World Heritage status, many of Cornwall's stones are on peoples' property, they are not enshrined or locked off from access.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 11/19/17 5:02 pm.

#715669 - 11/18/17 9:48 pm Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
And I'll add a few images of more tin mines. I guess Lannis, Fay and Shaun toured another active mine after we left... hopefully they'll post us some pix of the tour!

[Linked Image]

We visited this site just prior to sundown and the light was awesome!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here, to give you some idea of scale, Cynthia is standing next to one of the old stacks:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ricochetrider; 11/18/17 9:50 pm.

#715712 - 11/19/17 1:35 am Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
And I'll add a few images of more tin mines. I guess Lannis, Fay and Shaun toured another active mine after we left... hopefully they'll post us some pix of the tour!

Yep, we had to go back and have another look at those mines.

One of them is RIGHT on the cliff overlooking the Atlantic …

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

An old tin miner took us on a tour, and showed us a diagram of how the tunnels ran.

This mine is 1,800 feet deep, and the tunnels extend over a half a mile UNDER the ocean!

[Linked Image]

During storms, the miners could hear the boulders being tumbled about on the sea bottom above their heads ….

This is the main entrance to the mine; the cubbyholes in the rock are where the miners kept their candles and equipment ….

[Linked Image]

Although the miners had a hard and dangerous job, they had a few perks. This was the miner’s bath building, and the stack at the end was for the steam boiler that fed the baths and where the company washed and dried the miner’s clothes at the end of the shift; at least they went home clean …

[Linked Image]

They actually have a huge old operating steam engine that used to pull the ore up out of the mine, that they fired up for us. It used a boiler like this …

[Linked Image]

These big old walking beams and pistons were amazing to watch in action:

[Linked Image]

Those were men of iron in those days, mining tin ….

Lannis

#715713 - 11/19/17 1:47 am Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: ricochetrider]  
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Aus
Love those old beam engines, poetry in motion.

Lead and copper, tin zinc all sorts of mining down there. Boscastle was one of our favourite weekender retreats, lovely county.

#715715 - 11/19/17 2:08 am Re: Standing Stones Of Cornwall [Re: NickL]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by NickL
Love those old beam engines, poetry in motion.

Lead and copper, tin zinc all sorts of mining down there. Boscastle was one of our favourite weekender retreats, lovely county.

Yep, the tour guy explained how and why the different ores were mined, depending on the price they could get and how rich the veins were. The miners actually had a choice between being paid by the depth they worked at (the deeper they went, the more they made), OR they could work on "shares" based on the value of the ore they brought up. In the period 1880 - 1930, when almost all the mines closed down because high-grade tin was being found elsewhere in the world, thousands of Cornish miners emigrated to where the new mines were (taking their skills with them) and spread all over the world.

The price of tin has jumped and they are trying to restart at least one Cornish tin mine as a paying proposition; the locals are generally all for it, but of course there's a lot of environmental nay-sayers that are just against it on principle. You couldn't just dump the tailings and burn up coal like you used to; that's all done by the rules today, so maybe they can make a go of it....

Lannis

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.116s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.9723 MB (Peak: 1.3004 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 02:05:27 UTC