BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
DoubleDiamond
DoubleDiamond
Hampshire, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
213 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,795 guests, and 543 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 183
koan58 99
Stuart 87
NickL 63
Popular Topics(Views)
436,625 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,265
Posts632,066
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#713687 - 11/03/17 3:26 am Pre-Unit Kick Start Gear issues  
hunter h Online content
BritBike Forum member
hunter h  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

city island ny
cheers to all after some delay I am get my 60 gold star back on the road but every few kicks the kickstart pinon jams . I read some where that there were a few types of gear profiles and looks like have a mismatch. my gear box is std t with Day gears . would anyone know part #s that work . I do have all the parts books. thanks hunter

Last edited by Rich B; 11/03/17 11:50 am.
BSA Gold Star eBay items

BSA Gold Star forum This board is dedicated to BSA Gold Star motorcycles.

#713690 - 11/03/17 4:14 am Re: Pre-Unit Transmission Info, Swing Arm Models [Re: hunter h]  
Magnetoman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted by hunter h
would anyone know part #s that work . I do have all the parts books.
I'm puzzled by your question. The part numbers that work are the numbers that are in the parts book that you say you have. Early gearboxes (pre-'54 or so) had different profiles but if an early spindle is used with a later pinion, or vice versa, the mismatch is enough that it will barely turn, not jam only every few kicks.

#713714 - 11/03/17 3:03 pm Re: Pre-Unit Transmission Info, Swing Arm Models [Re: Magnetoman]  
Kerry W Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kerry W  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Middle East,
I think, looking back a few decades, that the problem is one of wear - usually in the driven gear..

No generalisation is wholly true, not even this one.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
#713759 - 11/03/17 10:10 pm Re: Pre-Unit Transmission Info, Swing Arm Models [Re: hunter h]  
hunter h Online content
BritBike Forum member
hunter h  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

city island ny
cheers all thanks for the input some time ago some one posted a few photos of kick start pinon gears . I was not able to fine it anybody remember that posting thanks hunter

#713837 - 11/04/17 4:21 pm Re: Pre-Unit Transmission Info, Swing Arm Models [Re: hunter h]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted by hunter h
anybody remember that posting thanks hunter
It sounds like what you're looking for is this post. The original photos are still in my Photobucket account as well as on my computer, but searching for them would take quite a bit of time. And it wouldn't do any good anyway until the photo posting issue has been solved in a "permanent" way where the Photobucket apocalypse wouldn't be repeated. Sorry.

#713844 - 11/04/17 5:32 pm Re: Pre-Unit Transmission Info, Swing Arm Models [Re: hunter h]  
hunter h Online content
BritBike Forum member
hunter h  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

city island ny
thanks it looks like that post has the info I need but I will need to spend some time reading the text . thanks hunter

#713919 - 11/05/17 2:09 pm Re: Pre-Unit Transmission Info, Swing Arm Models [Re: hunter h]  
jfligg Offline
BritBike Forum member
jfligg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Lucan ON Canada
Hi guys
Too bad the pictures don't work in MMs don't work. Jeff

#713974 - 11/05/17 9:29 pm Re: Pre-Unit Transmission Info, Swing Arm Models [Re: hunter h]  
DBDBrian Online content
BritBike Forum member
DBDBrian  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Norfolk England
This may be of help Hunter,But not as comprehensive as MMs link with the measurements.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Quadrant tooth profiles

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Pinions. Bottom and right is genuine BSA, Top and left is repro,

[Linked Image]
I also found these in a box, two different shaft lengths, long one is clubmans type. Approx 1/8" variation.

[Linked Image]
Standard one on top.
This is how I modified a standard quadrant for a clubmans type, by reversing it on the shaft.
This end requires building up with weld, and a spring anchor slot ground in.

[Linked Image]
Standard one underneath.
This end just requires grinding as above.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Modified quadrant in situ, at both ends of travel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This little modification will stop oil dripping on your exhaust.

Brian

Made In England
#713979 - 11/05/17 10:29 pm Re: Pre-Unit Transmission Info, Swing Arm Models [Re: hunter h]  
hunter h Online content
BritBike Forum member
hunter h  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

city island ny
thanks Brian it looks like the one set that you show are flat at the peak of the tooth on both gears. hunter

#713981 - 11/05/17 11:06 pm Re: Pre-Unit Transmission Info, Swing Arm Models [Re: hunter h]  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
Many years ago I had modified my Goldie's kicker gear to allow the kicker to move ahead to clear my leg with rear set pegs. I did this by grinding off the last tooth on the kicker quadrant. This worked except sometimes if the engine didn't start the kicker would stay down and the bottom of the swing until you engaged a gear and roll the bike a bit. I cleared this issue by fitting a folding kicker. Nice.
The reason for my spiel is to suggest the possibility of a tooth being broken off the quadrant allowing it to disengage the gear on the mainshaft. You have removed the outer tranny housing?

dave - NV
#713983 - 11/05/17 11:23 pm Re: Pre-Unit Transmission Info, Swing Arm Models [Re: hunter h]  
dave - NV Online content
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elko, Nevada USA
DB Brian .. Re your nice kicker bushing with a 'O' ring .... I've modified umm 35 outer tranny covers for other gents and 3-4 for myself. I replace the kicker and shifter shaft bushings with modern 'off the shelf' pieces. Then using a fixture and tooling accurately counter bore the bushing and cover and press in small metal body lip seals that are nearly undetectable. Also, using another fixture I bore the hole that's often found worn in the cover for the clutch arm shaft and press in a pair of 'oil less' bushings. Stop the drool! Now that speedo drive leak ... aargh.

Last edited by dave - NV; 11/05/17 11:24 pm.

dave - NV
#714081 - 11/06/17 8:06 pm Re: Pre-Unit Transmission Info, Swing Arm Models [Re: dave - NV]  
DBDBrian Online content
BritBike Forum member
DBDBrian  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Norfolk England
Hi Dave, the first quadrant I modified in this way was thirty odd year ago, and it has never given any trouble, the one in the pictures was done about five years ago, when I built a box with a Nova five speed C/R cluster, as can be seen by the machined selector quadrant slot, to date this has also been ok. As the lever is at the bottom of it's travel, there is probably not a great deal of force at this point. In the event of a kick back, the load would be in the reverse direction.

The seal arrangement in the cover sounds like a good idea, but as we are all only to aware, the problem then moves further on, ah well it keeps us out of mischief .

PS
I should have also mentioned. the leading tooth on the quadrant at the spring anchor end. requires grinding to allow for the lead into the pinion.

Brian

Made In England
#714086 - 11/06/17 8:46 pm Re: Pre-Unit Gear Kick Start Issues [Re: dave - NV]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted by dave - NV
press in small metal body lip seals that are nearly undetectable.
What lip seal do you use? When I get my 1928 Ariel's Burman apart one of my tasks will be to figure out ways to keep as much grease/oil in it as possible so I will be looking for appropriate seals at that time.
Originally Posted by dave - NV
Now that speedo drive leak ... aargh.
The solution is simple. The proper oil level is only ~1/4" above the speedometer gear shaft so if you slightly underfill the gearbox it won't leak from there when the bike is sitting still, and if you never ride your Gold Star it won't leak when underway...

Last edited by Magnetoman; 11/07/17 12:15 am. Reason: changed back to original title of thread

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.161s Queries: 15 (0.030s) Memory: 0.8857 MB (Peak: 1.1086 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-20 20:50:56 UTC