My bikes are booked in at a local car/bike show sponsored by my work. Just spent several hours cleaning up my 66 Bonnie. Despite not long being together this is the first time I've actually cleaned and detailed the bike. It's unlikely to stay like this so here is a before and some after shots for those that like shiny motorcycles.
This was the only picture I took of the bike last on the road in 85 with a Texas registration? sticker.
Still need a horn bracket for the 8H horn but it's not to shabby.
Bill, it helps that I shave my hair short enough that I can not grab hold of it! I would love to say the lines are perfect but.....I can't.
Unfortunately it all has to be done again. A previous repair (not by me) involved cutting out sections of the coil cut aways, these were then crudely patched over. Because of this the cut outs are not wide enough to house the coils with out them rubbing the tank. It's my fault I missed it, I mocked the tank up to replace the front mounts and rear tab on the TR6 which has MA6 coils that needed removing before the tank would go on (home market tank has much bigger cut outs). I tried to add a little clearance with a ball pain hammer but only succeeded in splitting the weld that holds the patch. It's sealed up but it's not good enough so I will pull the tank after this show, cut out the patches and start again from scratch with fresh steel.
Truth be told Ray, I am the least patient guy you are likely to meet.
That tank has a little back story. When I first un wrapped it, it was clear that someone had partially stripped the paint and then given up because of the state of it. I decided to just repair the mounts and run it around in matte black etch primer and surface rust. Thing was that whilst it was at work sitting on the TR6 a couple guys I work with asked why I was spending so much time making sure it sat right when it was always going to look like [censored]. They were taking the piss but it stuck in my head and I took it as a challenge. I never thought it would turn out half as nice as it did and it took some convincing at work that it was the same tank. Job done I guess. Now I could have ignored the coil cut out's if they worked but every time I open the filler I see the massive amount of distortion to the tunnel caused by the welding and it's been driving me up the wall!
Patience is not the same as being a fussy old git!