BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Ron C
Ron C
Ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
219 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,807 guests, and 537 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst, johnguppy, michael morgan
9955 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 100
Stuart 84
NickL 67
Popular Topics(Views)
437,348 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,274
Posts632,183
Members9,955
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#712546 - 10/24/17 5:55 pm An issue that needs awareness. Night driving  
btour Online content
BritBike Forum member
btour  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Massachusetts, U.S.A.
So I met Bob and Julie, and Julie said she was getting old, about 60 because she was having trouble driving at night. No it is not her, I pointed out. Everyone thinks it is just them, but it is not. It is an issue that needs attention, especially for us motorcyclists who must use a shield or glasses.

The LED lights for traffic lights are an obvious thing. They are so bright you can not see through them to the other side of the intersection. Street lights overhead are also a problem. You can see where they reach but not beyond. People are using these lights just because they are available. After all, more is better, right?

Motorists headlights are another matter and it seems to be a case of who has the brightest lights gets the right to see.

What is not so obvious is street signs. I did a survey for our Town DPW, as part of senior citizen tax work off. Each sign has a luminosity index. Higher is better right? Not so. The reflection is so bright it is blinding. Maybe not for our candles but lets say you have a killer bright car behind you. If these signs are going to be that reflective they should be at an angle where the reflected light does not blind you.

First thing is to admit to people that you are having a problem, then to realize that you are not alone, and that other people of all ages are having a problem too, and that it is not us.

Raise awareness. It is not us the people but the pin heads we elect and appoint.

Last edited by btour; 10/24/17 5:58 pm.

Bob, Lifetime bike: '71 T120R, bought in '71 at Ken Heanes, England.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#712555 - 10/24/17 7:02 pm Re: An issue that needs awareness. Night driving [Re: btour]  
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Cataract surgery will fix that.
Oddly, 10 years ago, all oncoming lights had halos around them. I consulted my ophthalmologist and he said it was the onset of cataracts. My cataracts haven't gotten worse in ten years, but now there are no more halos around the lights. A bit of a mystery to me right now.

Here, mid 20's butlicks with their high lift pickups are the cause of much night blindness. They raise their trucks, but never re-adjust their headlights. I blast them with my brights just to be mean spirited.

Maybe if the cops were doing their jobs....

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
#712569 - 10/24/17 7:59 pm Re: An issue that needs awareness. Night driving [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
btour Online content
BritBike Forum member
btour  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Massachusetts, U.S.A.
smile It is not cataracts Bill. Not halos anymore than staring at the sun. The signs and traffic lights are too bright. Magnitudes of 10 from back in the day. It just is not necessary.

#712599 - 10/25/17 12:35 am Re: An issue that needs awareness. Night driving [Re: btour]  
sloppyoil Offline
BritBike Forum member
sloppyoil  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Monclova
I agree, I'm 60 and my eye doctor says I have perfect lenses, no sign at all of cataracts. But I have always had a hard time seeing at night. And of late with all the zeon bulbs and leds its even worse.

#712601 - 10/25/17 12:44 am Re: An issue that needs awareness. Night driving [Re: btour]  
Deadstiffcatt Offline
BritBike Forum member
Deadstiffcatt  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nor. California
Tens days ago I hit/deflected off another deer on my way home at night. The reason? The two cars heading toward me on the other side of the road were newer ones, and the damn headlights were blinding. I did not see the deer until contact, even though it had moved from the right, across my path, and toward the opposite lane. Funny thing is, 20 or so seconds earlier and a quarter mile back I was able to see a buck standing right in the middle of the road, even with my Lucas 45w high beam. I was able to slow down and pick a course that led me safely around this one. Had the two cars with their way too bright lights been at this point, I would have hammered the buck right in the chest. Taking it easy, I was still getting back to normal speed when the blinding lights and the other deer were hit.
My commute is done half at night, 25 miles to get back home. I am more frequently getting blinded by the modern headlight bulbs- enough for me to consider them a safety hazard that is affecting myself and OTHERS on the road. I will even note that the ridiculously bright led taillights can also produce a bit of blinding when stuck behind one. Regarding modern signage, I have had certain signs at certain positions on the road also produce reduced vision/momentary blinding due to the angle of reflection.

#712610 - 10/25/17 2:15 am Re: An issue that needs awareness. Night driving [Re: btour]  
Al Eckstadt Online content
BritBike Forum member
Al Eckstadt  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Jordan, NY
It is a fact that night vision gets worse as we age. Certainly it is happening in my case. A flash of light will produce longer lasting reduced vision than in a younger person. I don't ride much at night but I do drive at night - with due caution. The mis-aimed and excessively bright headlights, over-reflective road signs and other lights are a serious concern.
Al

Al Eckstadt
#712614 - 10/25/17 2:28 am Re: An issue that needs awareness. Night driving [Re: btour]  
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member

arkansas
My father lived in a big seniors condo complex. Lots of single women. He said if you could still see to drive at night you were a real stud and it was easy to get dates.

#712630 - 10/25/17 6:54 am Re: An issue that needs awareness. Night driving [Re: btour]  
Wilfred Offline
BritBike Forum member
Wilfred  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Don't like to ride at night at 76. Around town is ok but on the highway/freeway, especially in the rain, those damned retread tire/tyre sheddings from transport trucks are damned near impossible to see and while hitting one might not be so bad in the Van, I don't want to hit one on the bike. Eyes are still pretty good in spite of diabetes but it's not worth it along with the other headlights to consider.

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
#712734 - 10/26/17 3:04 am Re: An issue that needs awareness. Night driving [Re: btour]  
dommie90 Offline
BritBike Forum member
dommie90  Offline
BritBike Forum member

bac o burk qld
I also have the night vision problem ,I recently tried my yellow lens glass's from my pistol shooting club , they certainly cut down the glare
baz

#712803 - 10/26/17 5:08 pm Re: An issue that needs awareness. Night driving [Re: btour]  
btour Online content
BritBike Forum member
btour  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Dommie, yellow does cut glare.

#712902 - 10/27/17 2:28 pm Re: An issue that needs awareness. Night driving [Re: btour]  
btour Online content
BritBike Forum member
btour  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Massachusetts, U.S.A.
Most troubling is that absolute white light from some headlights and the overhead street lamps. I think it is in the nature of the white light. Even high beams from head lamps with traditional light, sort of warmish yellow white are not as bad as that white. That does not occur in nature, and I don't think any human of any age can adapt, from its light to dark. It cuts darkness yes in a blast, of localized light, whereas traditional seems to leak forward and illuminate. I noticed this in the car last night. I will take my head lamp over those any day.

When a car approaches with those white lights, I turn my high beams on them. Maybe they will get the message. Your freakin headlights are a hazard.

#712958 - 10/28/17 2:00 am Re: An issue that needs awareness. Night driving [Re: btour]  
desco Online content
BritBike Forum member
desco  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Bishop, Calif.
The world is not going to change because a bunch of old geezers can't see at night. It's got to do with energy efficiency. It costs next to nothing to run these new bulbs and they last forever. You turn your high beams on when someone coming the other way is blinding you? Good call. Two vehicles approaching each other at high speed and both drivers are blind. Quit driving at night if you don't have to. Then drive a car. I've had surgery on both eyes. Rarely drive at night anymore. And then only to the liquor store. Ha, ha.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
#712960 - 10/28/17 3:02 am Re: An issue that needs awareness. Night driving [Re: btour]  
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Accepted practice where I'm from is to momentarily flash your brights at an oncoming car who has their brights on. This is what I do, but if the oncoming car doesn't dip their beams, I put on the high beams on mine so I can see where I'm going a little better.
In the first case, it is good etiquette to inform someone that their high beams are on. In the second, it is more of a survival tactic. Driving at night sucks, so I avoid it, especially on my bikes.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.252s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8874 MB (Peak: 1.1138 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-21 17:08:51 UTC