BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
BritTwit
BritTwit
Kansas City area
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Right hand vintage sidecar for Vincent
#711816 10/17/17 4:20 pm
p400 Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I am wanting to mount a vintage, enclosed, hopefully British type, side car to
a series B or C twin Vincent.
Looking for sources, advice to make this happen.
I need left hand kick mechanicals for twin, altho i do have Grosset
electric available.
How would a Comet handle right hand sidecar kick?
Is there a UK side car newsletter, vendor, club, forum, etc.
Has anyone done this righthand vintage sidecar?
Cheers
Craig
Here is a lefthand , boat type , maybe Noxal
[Linked Image]

Last edited by p400; 10/17/17 4:29 pm. Reason: photo
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Right hand vintage sidecar for Vincent
p400 #711869 10/18/17 1:35 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Comet gear boxes did not facilitate left hand kick pedal. Changing a British side car chassis is hard, Unbrazing all the lugs and switching mounts and axle to the other side of the frame would be expensive to have done.
A person could make new sides for the body, with the door on the correct side, but it would be time-consuming.
My sidecar Triumph has a right hand sidecar (US) and I had no trouble arranging the mounts so that they do not interfere with the kick start pedal.
Those saloon bodies can be attractive, I have thought of building one for myself. One factor is, the wheel is far back to make room for a door. That could be done because the rigid and plunger frames of those days required zero sidecar wheel lead. A bike with swingarm rear suspension generalyl requires 10 inches or so of lead. So there is little room for a door.
It gets complicated.

Re: Right hand vintage sidecar for Vincent
p400 #711870 10/18/17 1:54 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
The twin was designed to be able to use a left hand kick start, which are still available. The Comet often did not need a left hand KS because it has a short straight KS and usually does not hit a mount. The longer sweeping twin KS will hit almost any mount. The Vincent is a pretty good side car machine. There is a side car Section in the Club and I think that is the best source of information. The Club also runs a forum that is a good way to learn about Vincents and ask questions.

I can often answer basic questions. I have a Noxal Air Flow side car I took off a Black Shadow years ago. I did most of my riding in the winter with a BMW and Steib side car.

http://www.voc.uk.com/

David

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership