BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Mitch C.
Mitch C.
the dungeon, in N.W. Ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
523 registered members (1959terry), 2,402 guests, and 584 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
gunnar, Mark Obert, Rygin2609, Rich Warren, Andrew90
9905 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 73
Lannis 73
reverb 57
C.B.S 47
Popular Topics(Views)
415,664 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics64,966
Posts628,635
Members9,905
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#711090 - 10/10/17 11:04 am Re: members from other places [Re: R Moulding]  
BeezaBryan Online content
BritBike Forum member
BeezaBryan  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
Originally Posted by R Moulding

It's an unfortunate thing but people no longer learn about other countries and cultures from books, just the goggle box and interweb. I was an Army brat and lucky enough to see a bit of the word, despite being born in former West Germany I call myself British and tell people I'm from the south coast of the UK. Quite obviously this means I was either brought up on Coronation Street or in Downton Abbey. My Wife is Indian and a Muslim............. well you can probably guess.

So for most of the world being from the USA means that Tickle fellow from Discovery Channel or that Friends program. It's simply what they see. All you can do is hold out your hand, say hello and take the chance to learn something new.

Rod

My early learning was from the books my parents got me to read, Sunday School and Bible classes.
Those things induced a yearning to see some of those places i read and heard of and so developed the itchy feet that many decades later still itch smile
I've tramped around in my lifetime, always took as I found, when in Rome do as the Romans do and so on.
Xenophobia is not knowingly part of my personality, I think.
Although a certain West African nation may be the exception frown

BeezaBryan does not do politics smile

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#711097 - 10/10/17 1:41 pm Re: members from other places [Re: reverb]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by reverb
...Lannis, I only see that contributes to that subtle hate that the non Anglo world have to the US government (A.K.A the "Empire")

Well, I'm sorry to hear about that "subtle hate" that the world has for me and my family and my compatriots. I didn't do anything to engender it, and therefore I can't do anything to fix it.

With the exception of the actual people who have publicly sworn to kill me and everyone like me, I don't "hate" any country or anyone in the world just because of where they're from. Why would I have a "subtle hate" for the country of China or Hungary or Uruguay or Cameroon or El Salvador or Turkey? It's not reasonable. And why would I care what term someone uses if they're from Nauru and they say they're from "The Pacific Ocean" or whatever they might say?

I think you've sort of put your finger on why there's the kind of trouble in the world that we have today ... and it's not the fault of the USA in most cases. It sounds like ancient, never-ending jealousy and tribalism to me. And I'm not going to let it bother me or try to "fix it" by "talking right" and kissing other people's asses to apologize about the place I was born and raised ....

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#711099 - 10/10/17 2:14 pm Re: members from other places [Re: ricochetrider]  
rick e. Online content
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Earth
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Nothing is wrong with saying "I'm American". But the person from
Central America
and the person from
South America
and the person from Canada aka North America
are "Americans", too.

That's all.

And if asked, I personally always specify myself as being from the United States. Because that's the name of my country. (I typically abbreviate: U.S.)

Same as the difference between
I'm Irish
I'm English
I'm Scottish.
All are U.K. Citizens.
All citizens of the EU are all Europeans too.

Say whatever you want but don't exclude the millions and millions of other North, Central and South Americans either.
I

+1

Quiz for USA folks that have a passport. What does it list as your Nationality? Hint: Its NOT American.

"Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

#711111 - 10/10/17 4:06 pm Re: members from other places [Re: rick e.]  
quinten Online content
BritBike Forum member
quinten  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Pacific northwest
politicly the
Originally Posted by rick e.
Nothing is wrong with saying "I'm American". But the person from
Central America
and the person from
South America
and the person from Canada aka North America
are "Americans", too.

That's all.

And if asked, I personally always specify myself as being from the United States. Because that's the name of my country. (I typically abbreviate: U.S.)

Same as the difference between
I'm Irish
I'm English
I'm Scottish.
All are U.K. Citizens.
All citizens of the EU are all Europeans too.

Say whatever you want but don't exclude the millions and millions of other North, Central and South Americans either.
I

+1

Quiz for USA folks that have a passport. What does it list as your Nationality? Hint: Its NOT American.

Let me disagree with the idea that we are all Americans.
that's a big hat that no one wants to wear.
while
there are no hard rules about your self identity, there is what you call yourself
what you call yourself has to do with what ' team ' you cheer for ( identify with )

in that same vein what you call someone else . .. is the team you imagine they root for
no one cheers for the American continent,
that's like cheering for football instead of a football club /team

we all cheer for a smaller subset, either Geographic or political.
we identify with the country known as American , Canada or Mexico
I call myself an American or to be more specific a West coaster.

my wife's side of the family is all Canadian.
and none of them, down the cats and dogs, would ever call themselves Americans.
they have a different history and different sensibilities.
it's subtle but
they would be a bit miffed and embarrassed to be called Americans.
they don't have a strong prideful sense of national identity
but they know that they are not Americans, they are Canadians,( with a loyalist heritage, The Queen is still on all their money )
and they, somewhat teasingly, call all citizens of the US. .. including folks from Georgia and Texas ..Yanks.

#711115 - 10/10/17 5:35 pm Re: members from other places [Re: reverb]  
BeezaBryan Online content
BritBike Forum member
BeezaBryan  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
My Grandad always warned me against discussing politics and religion in a pub.
Time for me to withdraw

BeezaBryan does not do politics smile

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#711118 - 10/10/17 6:26 pm Re: members from other places [Re: reverb]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
I am speaking in the broader sense of what and who we are or identify as or with. IE: there are a great many Americans outside of the United States, and a great number of earth citizens probably identify as "Americans", besides those of us who happen to live on this spot of land between Mexico & Canada. No idea how (or even if) folks in the USA ever got to thinking there is any exclusivity in thinking of themselves as "Americans" but I'm sure it was or is completely innocent, if not evidentiary that there exists some level of lacking in awareness of any area outside a xxx mile radius from home.

Here there are many more or less historical slogans & phrases that may have led to or assisted this line of thinking, such as America The Beautiful, God Bless America, American as apple pie, The American Dream, and on & on.

Quinten, your point is well made, and I agree- in fact that was the entire point of the post you quoted, that I personally see myself as a citizen of the United States. The simple fact does exist
(and I was pointedly reminded of this by a Brazilian- indicating that this is perhaps important to somebody)
that there is much more to "America" than just the United Staes. We do seem to have laid claim to the term, but I think that's cr@p. There is no ownership of this; it is simply a geographical nomenclature.

As Rick E stated, "America" is NOT a country.
Nobody I ever met who was born outside the U.S. ever introduced -or referred to- themselves as being American, European, Asian, or African.

I meant no political inference, I definitely do see it as cultural, however.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/10/17 6:27 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#711120 - 10/10/17 6:58 pm Re: members from other places [Re: ricochetrider]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
I am speaking in the broader sense of what and who we are or identify as or with. IE: there are a great many Americans outside of the United States, and a great number of earth citizens probably identify as "Americans", besides those of us who happen to live on this spot of land between Mexico & Canada. No idea how (or even if) folks in the USA ever got to thinking there is any exclusivity in thinking of themselves as "Americans" but I'm sure it was or is completely innocent, if not evidentiary that there exists some level of lacking in awareness of any area outside a xxx mile radius from home.

Here there are many more or less historical slogans & phrases that may have led to or assisted this line of thinking, such as America The Beautiful, God Bless America, American as apple pie, The American Dream, and on & on.

Quinten, your point is well made, and I agree- in fact that was the entire point of the post you quoted, that I personally see myself as a citizen of the United States. The simple fact does exist
(and I was pointedly reminded of this by a Brazilian- indicating that this is perhaps important to somebody)
that there is much more to "America" than just the United Staes. We do seem to have laid claim to the term, but I think that's cr@p. There is no ownership of this; it is simply a geographical nomenclature.

As Rick E stated, "America" is NOT a country.
Nobody I ever met who was born outside the U.S. ever introduced -or referred to- themselves as being American, European, Asian, or African.

I meant no political inference, I definitely do see it as cultural, however.

Excellent summary! Agree 100% ... all about language, terminology, etc.

Lannis

#711133 - 10/10/17 8:17 pm Re: members from other places [Re: rick e.]  
Shane in Oz Online content
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney, Oz
I suspect it comes down to the ease of abbreviation of one's nationality.

Something like "I'm Canadian", "I'm Australian", "I'm English" or "Je suis Francais" rolls off the tongue, but for the USA it seems to be a choice of "I'm from the USA" or "I'm American". Perhaps the Bruce Springsteen approach will work "Born in the USA" smile

#711148 - 10/10/17 9:41 pm Re: members from other places [Re: reverb]  
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
I'm always fascinated to hear the stories of folks who come here from other places. I mean, to the US, not just Hawaii. Their stories are sometimes frightening, both from where they originated and what they encounter when they get here.

Currently, I am employing the services of a woman from Hungary and her son who from appearances is a typical English kid of 17. He's also from Hungary but speaks with a decidedly English accent. She has a thick European accent. They're painting my landlady's house for cash under the table as they are in process of acquiring their green card. She is married to an American, but immigration services here are something less than empathetic or even efficient.

They seem like prey at this point, wary of any persons or agencies that might want to harm them. Flying low under the radar.....trying to survive. I saw the opportunity to help them, help myself, and help my landlady. Pow, a micro-economy was formed. I work for my friend on his bikes, I make money, I pay a lot to my landlady but also have to work for her some each month. Here comes the two immigrants who are happy to work for a little less money than I'm making working on bikes. Everybody is happy.

But things in Hungary used to be pretty grim when the USSR was the boss. Things are much better now, it seems and so good in fact I wonder if they wouldn't be happier back in Hungary, instead of living in fear here in the US.

I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

In the meantime, I am, like so many others here, not all that thrilled about being part of the USA. Calling myself an American or a US citizen doesn't come with the pride it once did.

But, of course, this isn't a good place to have a political discussion, so it ends here.

I am now calling myself Celtic in origin. Most assuredly so as there is a village in Scotland with my name. There is still a clan, clan reunions where they wear the blue and black tartan of my clan and toss around telephone poles and boulders for fun. Gotta love that!

Unfortunately, I will never be able to attend a reunion of my clan. I think it would be so fantastic to see where my ancestors are from and meet them!

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
#711163 - 10/10/17 11:17 pm Re: members from other places [Re: reverb]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Bill

I feel it is up to each of us to carry our own selves out into the world and show folks just what a citizen of (your country here) is in actuality. We represent ourselves out in the world as citizens of our home countries and it's up to us, to override any preconceptions or prejudices on a one to one basis as we go. We therefore go our way, "schooling" people on what a U.S. (or any other nationality for that matter) citizen actually is like in real life. Which is separate from any and all government actions or policies. Most people, on a face to face, one on one basis, accept that we as individuals are not to blame for anything our government does or did, or might do. Having pride in oneself is the first step in having any pride at all, be it nationalistic or otherwise. People skills help, too, so that one may interface with others even if there is a language barrier. In reality, most people can spot a U.S. citizen immediately; not to mention any accents or language idiosyncrasies. No BS can hide the fact that we are what we are anyway. I present myself as me being me, and so far so good.. I'm usually pretty good at "cracking the ice" with people, no matter where I have gone so far. While, admittedly I have not traveled to Iran, Pakistan, or Syria, I did have pleasant interactions with everyone I met in Olde Quebec. laughing

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/11/17 12:31 am.

#711203 - 10/11/17 2:39 pm Re: members from other places [Re: reverb]  
rick e. Online content
BritBike Forum member
rick e.  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Earth
I, like others, grew up in the US with Italians on one side, Irish over in that corner, Germans over there, and well you get the picture. Funny thing is my father-in-law did not speak English (German at home) till he started grade school. Yet today he despises other languages other than German and English because that's not 'American'.

I'm lucky, on any given day I hear at least 5 languages and would feel completely lost if that ever changed. That, more than anything gives me the greatest pride in my lovely neighborhood.

With that said, here is a nice little toe tapper from Strummer that sums it all up using FOOD to describe the above. I'm sure it's London related.....but you will get the point. (I'm even including the words courtesy of "Cut-n-Paste" )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZiPCJrd0_4

Well, I was walking down the High Road
And this guy stops me
He’d just got in from New Zealand
And he was looking for mushy peas
I said, no, we hadn’t really got ’em round here
I said, but we do got

Balti, Bhindi, strictly Hindi
Dall, Halal and I’m walking down the road
We got rocksoul, okra, bombay duck-ra
Shrimp beansprout, comes with it or without – with it or without
Bagels soft or simply harder
Exotic avocado or toxic empenada
We got akee, lassi, Somali waccy baccy
I’m sure back home you know what tikka’s all about – what tikka’s all about

Welcome stranger to the humble neighborhoods
You can get inspiration along the highroad

Hommus, cous cous in the jus of octopus
Pastrami and salami and lasagne on the go
Welcome stranger, there’s no danger
Welcome to this humble neighborhood

There’s Balti, Bhindi, strictly Hindi
Dall, Halal and I’m walking down the road
Rocksoul, okra, bombay duck-ra
Shrimp beansprout, comes with it or without

So anyway, I told him I was in a band
He said, “Oh yeah, oh yeah – what’s your music like?”
I said, “It’s um, um, well, it’s kinda like
You know, it’s got a bit of, um, you know.”

Ragga, Bhangra, two-step Tanga
Mini-cab radio, music on the go
Um, surfbeat, backbeat, frontbeat, backseat
There’s a bunch of players and they’re really letting go
We got, Brit pop, hip hop, rockabilly, Lindy hop
Gaelic heavy metal fans fighting in the road
Ah, Sunday boozers for chewing gum users
They got a crazy D.J. and she’s really letting go

Oh, welcome stranger
Welcome stranger to the humble neighborhoods

Well, I say, there’s plenty of places to eat round here
He say, “Oh yeah, I’m pretty choosy.”

You got
Balti, Bhindi, strictly Hindi
Dall, Halal, walking down the road
Rocksoul, okra, bombay duck-ra
Shrimp beansprout, comes with it or without
Let’s check it out

Welcome stranger to the humble neighborhoods, neighborhoods
Check out all that

Por-da-sol, por-da-sol
Walking down the highroad

"Back in the garage with my bullshit detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

#711211 - 10/11/17 4:52 pm Re: members from other places [Re: GrandPaul]  
ludwig Online content
BritBike Forum member
ludwig  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

belgium
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
I'm in Texas, and one of our slogans has been "it's a whole other country". Since we have a sea coast, international border, mountains, desert, plains, brush country (ranches), farmland, lakes and rivers, caves & caverns, small towns, and big cities, there's something for everyone! Of course not to mention the excellent year-round riding of all sorts, road and off-road, also several world-class racing venues.

I'm sure that is what has also attracted MANY large ethnic communities to various parts of Texas also. We then get the benefit of "Texas seasoned" and original style ethnic cuisines.

Seems like you haven't seen much of the world ..

#711217 - 10/11/17 5:13 pm Re: members from other places [Re: ludwig]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by ludwig
I'm in Texas, and one of our slogans has been "it's a whole other country". Since we have a sea coast, international border, mountains, desert, plains, brush country (ranches), farmland, lakes and rivers, caves & caverns, small towns, and big cities, there's something for everyone! Of course not to mention the excellent year-round riding of all sorts, road and off-road, also several world-class racing venues.

I'm sure that is what has also attracted MANY large ethnic communities to various parts of Texas also. We then get the benefit of "Texas seasoned" and original style ethnic cuisines.

Well, Grandpaul is right about Texas being larger and more varied in geography, culture, weather, language, etc, than are very many entire countries in the world.

From what would you draw the conclusion that "he hasn't seen much of the world"? I don't think he was making a comparison to any specific place, just speaking of the characteristics of Texas ....

Lannis

#711223 - 10/11/17 7:25 pm Re: members from other places [Re: reverb]  
Zimm Online content
BritBike Forum member
Zimm  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

The land of pleasant living
I describe myself as an 8th generation Pennsylvania Dutchman. Gets some odd looks.

Last edited by Zimm; 10/11/17 7:25 pm.
#711226 - 10/11/17 8:02 pm Re: members from other places [Re: ludwig]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA

Lately I've seen too much of the the rest of the world to want very much to do with SOME of it, several great sections of it, in fact.

No, I've not been off this continent, physically. There ARE many places I'd like to visit, and few where I could live out my days...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#711227 - 10/11/17 8:05 pm Re: members from other places [Re: Zimm]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Zimm
I describe myself as an 8th generation Pennsylvania Dutchman. Gets some odd looks.

My great-grandma was a Klein, and my grandma a Weimer ... as long as everyone knows that "Dutch" was a local corruption of "Deutsch" and has nothing to do with the Netherlands (not that there's anything wrong with that), it's all clear ... !

Lannis

#711234 - 10/11/17 8:22 pm Re: members from other places [Re: Lannis]  
ludwig Online content
BritBike Forum member
ludwig  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

belgium
Originally Posted by Lannis
.. Grandpaul is right about Texas being larger and more varied in geography, culture, weather, language, etc, than are very many entire countries in the world.

From what would you draw the conclusion that "he hasn't seen much of the world"? I don't think he was making a comparison to any specific place, just speaking of the characteristics of Texas ....

Lannis

Well , you can only compare with what you have seen .
I've been in Texas a few times .
There used to be a substantial Belgian community in Austin ( Brewery people ) .
In all , I found Texas pretty boring compared to some other states , and certainly compared to Europe .
" ..varied in culture .." : You ARE joking , right ??

Last edited by ludwig; 10/11/17 8:39 pm.
#711269 - 10/12/17 12:54 am Re: members from other places [Re: reverb]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
HA, well in defense of Texas - my parents lived there (near Houston) for decades, I lived there a couple years, and have traveled all across pretty much every inch of the state- Texas does have a lot going on. There are widely varied ethnic communities in Houston, for example. Houston is a huge melting pot of International cultures, in fact. Austin and San Antonio are also bustling cities with strong food, music, and art cultures. Historically, musically speaking there have always been Texas musicians making waves in rock and folk music- from Doug Sahm & Augie Meyers, to Jerry Jeff Walker, to Townes Van Zandt, Ray Wylie Hubbard, to Stevie Ray & Jimmy Vaughn, Johnny & Edgar Winter, to Waylon Jennings, Billy Joe Shaver, and Guy Clark- to name only a few.

Lot of great blues music, zydeco, conjunto border music, and conjunto crossover ala bands such as the wonderful Texas Tornados originally featuring Freddie Fender, Doug Sahm & Augie Meyers, and Flaco Jiminez. Not even to mention Asleep At The Wheel's channeling of Bob Wills, or Willie Nelson, or Glen Campbell and even Buddy Holly for that matter.... Texas music is so completely endless, it is unbelievable!

Here is a massive list of TEXAS BLUES BANDS AND MUSICIANS

Texas art is strong as well.

I won't even talk about the food, from TexMex & Mexican food, to gulf coast oysters & shrimp, to bar-b-que to chicken fried steak to tamales to you name it. Whenmy folks first moved to the Houston suburbs in 1975 Texas was still very much
"like a whole other country".
As a military kid I moved to lots of places and I'm telling you that nowhere I had ever been was quite like Texas was. I used to hitchhike across Texas in the mid 70s and would meet the most fascinating people! I got a ride one time when hitching between Austin & Dallas from the former Dallas County Sheriff who was holding Lee Harvey Oswald when Jack Ruby rushed in and shot him dead!

I dunno man. You can be open to stuff and soak it all in, or close yourself off to things and miss a lot. You seem like you've missed a lot of what Texas has to offer.

Admittedly, all the suburbs (anywhere in any city in the USA) are all now exactly the same. This is of course true in Texas. But the heart and sound of a place will never be found in the suburbs. The heart & soul of Texas is in its cities and also way out in the middle of nowhere. The people make it what it is and when you get em face to face, you find like everywhere else, that Texas people are good people.

So to end I'll quote a slogan from down there:
Don't mess with Texas.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 10/12/17 2:04 am.

#711285 - 10/12/17 3:37 am Re: members from other places [Re: ludwig]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Lannis
.. Grandpaul is right about Texas being larger and more varied in geography, culture, weather, language, etc, than are very many entire countries in the world.

Lannis

Well , you can only compare with what you have seen .
I've been in Texas a few times .
There used to be a substantial Belgian community in Austin ( Brewery people ) .
In all , I found Texas pretty boring compared to some other states , and certainly compared to Europe .
" ..varied in culture .." : You ARE joking , right ??

[Linked Image]

#711288 - 10/12/17 3:46 am Re: members from other places [Re: reverb]  
wadeschields Online content
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
New Zealanders never posted here until the BSA Rally , then we had a few .... It was more about making friends there and giving them an easy way to stay in touch on an informative website..... And one of those guys started the "Y" bike thread that has been very popular .... Although I havent heard from him in a while..... But then again Ive been out of touch too.... That damn work thing!!

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
#711296 - 10/12/17 5:26 am Re: members from other places [Re: reverb]  
johnm Offline
BritBike Forum member
johnm  Offline
BritBike Forum member

New Zealand
This NZer has been around on the site since 2006 :-)

But not BSA and quiet since 2011 when my company sent me to Kazakhstan and then Romania. Plus I have lived or worked for long periods in about 8 other countries.

Most people are proud of their own countries but I for one at least will admit the biggest bastards I have ever meet are fellow NZers. That's because I know many more NZers than any other country - my sample is bigger. So far as individuals are concerned every country has great people and serious ***holes. The trick is not to label the country on having meet a few of the ***holes.

#711297 - 10/12/17 5:38 am Re: members from other places [Re: reverb]  
R Moulding Online content
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

and me since 09.........

#711311 - 10/12/17 1:19 pm Re: members from other places [Re: reverb]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas, USA
Ah, Lannis, your Virginiaty is showing!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#711331 - 10/12/17 4:54 pm Re: members from other places [Re: GrandPaul]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Ah, Lannis, your Virginiaty is showing!

Personal experience is really eye-opening.

Being a provincial Virginia boy, for YEARS I believed the myth that:

1) Americans are uniquely ignorant about the rest of the world
2) Europeans are sophisticated and knowledgable about the world to a degree that we just can't be, because we're so insulated.

There's SOME supporting information for this, the main one being how many Europeans are multi-lingual compared to Americans. But then, they almost have to be, since if you drive 100 miles it's possible that suddenly no one is speaking the language that people used where you started out. I have a great deal of respect for the practice and brainpower it takes to switch from English to French to Flemish all in a few seconds, for example, or from Urdu to German to English without missing a beat, as my Indian engineering colleagues could do (German being the engineering language in much of India).

HOWSOMEVER .... after years of working with multi-national teams at work (sometimes being the only American there out of 5 or 6 or 10 others) and traveling a bit as a result, and 20 years of participating on Internet forums ....

I have learned that just as many Europeans are ignorant, biased, and provincial about other places and cultures in the world as Americans are. And the cultural divides in Europe are as deep, and longer, than those in the US. Billy Yank and Johnny Reb are still alive and kicking in the North and South, an Englishman can still piss off a Frenchman with Crecy or Agincourt, and just get the average Belgian talking about how the Nazi collaborators got to keep their property and businesses during the war, and as a result, the collaborationist families are still running Belgium today. And if a Frenchman and a German get to drinking and talking about The War .... guaranteed to be hands thrown unless friends intervene, before they're done. And very many Europeans know about America by:

1) Watching "Dynasty", "Dallas", and "Friends".
2) Visiting New York, Orlando, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas.
3) Reading "The Guardian" and "Paris Match".

and that's it. That's IT! They've never heard of Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, or the VA, and they honestly believe that sick or injured blacks are left to die in the gutters outside the hospitals because no one will let them in. These are professionals, too.

So I don't think anyone has any advantage over anyone else in the world when it comes to that. I know one thing, if I go to France, I'm not going to judge all of France by what I see within 2 miles of the airport in Paris!

Lannis

#711335 - 10/12/17 5:31 pm Re: members from other places [Re: reverb]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Lannis

The single thing I believe is universal -and this from my experiences both here in the USA & abroad- is that when it comes right down to it we are all, world wide, pretty much alike. Far more alike in every way, than we humans are different from one another.

Aside from a radical few here, there, & everywhere, the human family bonds are universally strong.

One may separate oneself from others- and that division is yours (the grand, royal "yours") & yours alone. I've said much the same before and I'll repeat it often. Because it's true.

Everything is exactly as a person thinks it is. Life is what you make it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 1.140s Queries: 16 (0.087s) Memory: 1.0261 MB (Peak: 1.4213 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-10-23 20:30:23 UTC