BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Mitch C.
Mitch C.
the dungeon, in N.W. Ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
523 registered members (1959terry), 2,408 guests, and 585 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
gunnar, Mark Obert, Rygin2609, Rich Warren, Andrew90
9905 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 73
Lannis 73
reverb 57
C.B.S 47
Popular Topics(Views)
415,664 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics64,966
Posts628,635
Members9,905
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#710886 - 10/08/17 4:57 pm A65 Oil Pump Differances  
Richard Phillips Online content
BritBike Forum member
Richard Phillips  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

San Luis Obispo, CA
I know this has been covered, however I am looking for a very old post or presentation by Ole in Norway that showed the pump differences. If thats not available I would like information on the differences of the five pumps.

The early pump with the counter sunk screws in the backing plate. The revised pump with the hex head screws on the backing plate. The pump with the D stamped in the nose corner
The pump with DD stamped in the nose corner. The cast iron pump or the finale pump.

Any information on gear size and output would be appreciated.

Finally any suggestions on testing the output. I have a number of these pumps and would like to see how each performs

Thank you in advance

Richard

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#711040 - 10/09/17 9:27 pm Re: A65 Oil Pump Differances [Re: Richard Phillips]  
Richard Phillips Online content
BritBike Forum member
Richard Phillips  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

San Luis Obispo, CA

#711054 - 10/10/17 12:13 am Re: A65 Oil Pump Differances [Re: Richard Phillips]  
Rich B Online happy
Rich B  Online Happy

Stone Creek OH USA
Gee Richard, you like opening a can of worms, next you will start an oil thread!

The early style pump morphed into the interim pump used in 67/68. There is some disagreement on when exact changes occurred. 67/68's likely had the improved end plate and small bolts instead of screws, but gear sizes remained the same length. There may have been a change to a coarser tooth in that era. My memory is foggy. The coarse tooth pumps had a wee bit more volume.

The D pumps are supposed to be single dowel, DD pumps are supposed to be 2 dowel. And longer gears for more volume. There seems to be 2 gear lengths. I have one D pump that has gears that are longer than the previous pump, but shorter than the final gears. The DD pumps are the best next to cast iron. DD, cast iron, and SRM pumps are all same gear length.

But this wouldn't be BSA without confusion. I have a D pump with one dowel. DD pumps with one dowel. D pumps with 2 dowels. 1 unmarked pump with 2 dowels and long gears.

Flow I can't help you with. It isn't a lot. When I was helping Alex with his race bike, you are marginal at sustained high RPM. For normal use, the late pumps are fine. Even the interim pumps do ok.

Pressure is limited by the OPRV. The fit of the relief and location of the oil drain drilling have been beat to death on this board. So you know the drill.

No doubt you know the drill on what needs done to an A65 to make sure the pump is all it can be.

Last edited by Rich B; 10/10/17 12:15 am.

Life is too short to drink cheap, bad beer.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Mike Carter 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.593s Queries: 15 (0.059s) Memory: 0.8020 MB (Peak: 0.9324 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-10-23 20:40:47 UTC