BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Roger Gulledge
Roger Gulledge
Oahu Hawaii USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
221 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,770 guests, and 551 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews, Berni Ernst
9957 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 71
Popular Topics(Views)
437,702 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,282
Posts632,294
Members9,957
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#710476 - 10/04/17 7:32 am Amal premier - and what have we here!!!  
BrettF Online content
BritBike Forum member
BrettF  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Geneva, Switzerland
Hi Folks,

Fooling around with some new premier carbs on my 71 T120 I tried the old AMAL idea of using an old drain plug with a tube fixed into it to measure in situ float height. Made a nice new tool but was sadly not successful. Firstly the carbs are not level (something I had looked at 1000 times but never registered before) which made accurate reading very difficult. The heights I obtained were clearly not correct , one was 10 mm too low the other 5 mm too high despite having checked the float height from top rim previously so I know I was in the ballpark (and both plugs looked identical from previous checks). Something is messing up the readings, a constriction somewhere or something like that. Anyway thats for another day.

After finding lots of aluminium bits in the drain when taking the above measurements of my almost (200km) brand new carbs, I've found a few posts that indicate also finding loads of chaff in them. I did inspect and blow the carbs out with air when I purchased them a year or so ago so I did not expect this.

Made me think that maybe this is from new wear? So i had a good look at the hard anodised slides and the carb body and it seems to have a lot of wear for 200 km.

I've never been fortunate enough to buy a carbed vehicle from new so have no idea whats normal (and with a new vehicle one would probably never look at the carbs for the first few thousand KM anyway) but I was a bit surprised by what I saw.

What do you folks think - normal?

Here is a picture of the chaff that came out of left carb (right was the same).

[Linked Image]

Slide wear
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Carb body wear

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was very carefully to install the Carbs correctly - no over tightening of the flanges and lid - running standard air filters so should not get much grit, etc.

Finally there were some strange machining/scratching marks that seemed to close of the outer pilot exit hole slightly. Admitted I measured it very roughly by prodding gently with the smooth sides of minature drill bits. Here you can see it after the prodding - the chaff fell away while doing this - the hole is now the same as on my other three carbs. Borth carbs showed such markings in this area.

[Linked Image]

Cheers

BMF

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes:
69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine)
57 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine)
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#710479 - 10/04/17 7:47 am Re: Amal premier - what have we here!! [Re: BrettF]  
TR7RVMan Offline
BritBike Forum member
TR7RVMan  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Pleasant Hill, California USA
Hi Brett, Interesting. I bought my bike new, but didn't have occasion to take carb apart until 9800 miles. Had a fair amount of slide wear, but doesn't seem to effect operation. Bike now has 22k miles on original slide & still working good.

I've had a lot of carbs apart & the wear pattern starting is what I've seen on my & other carbs. Again many more miles on those carbs.

I've personally had 2 sets of new Premiers with metal flash in the idle passage. I don't recall seeing metal bits in float bowls.

One of the new Premiers had a stubborn chip in idle passage. Finally was able to blow it out. I saw the spec fly out the rear air passage. Has been good since then.

Are there any metal chips that are magnetic?

I know for sure not running air filters wears carbs quite bad. However I don't know that metal gets into float bowl from slide wear.

Are you running air filters?

Regarding the level gauge you made, I did that as well. My Tiger 750 carb sits level. The gauge worked to a degree, but if I started motor vibration shook gas in tube so bad reading was useless. I gave up on it & just set floats by measurement from gasket surface of bowl.

Don

1973 Tiger 750
#710484 - 10/04/17 9:47 am Re: Amal premier - what have we here!! [Re: BrettF]  
Tigernuts Online content
BritBike Forum member
Tigernuts  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Naarfuk, UK
The new Premier carb I bought for my TR7 came with the pilot jet part-blocked by drilling swarf (I didn't find this for a few hundred miles of wondering why it ran so badly at low throttle). The float level was also set way too low (again, not discovered until I took the carb apart after a few hundred miles of struggling to get it running anywhere near right). I made the mistake of assuming that a brand new carb bought direct from the manufacturer would have been checked before dispatch. It seems Burlen have a serious quality control problem. They need to sort it for thier own good, or their products will acquire a bad reputation.

Some of the pics inside the body look more like polishing of high spots than real wear. I see you have standard air filters, which are pretty efficient when working properly, so there really shouldn't have been any abrasive particles getting in during such a short period.

As for float level setting, I also gave up messing around with tubes to see the petrol level. For one thing, the meniscus in the tube accounts for a couple of mm and for another thing, it's so much easier to set it by looking at the float in relation to the top of the bowl.

If anything other than a blank space is visible here, something's wrong.
#710584 - 10/05/17 10:32 am Re: Amal premier - what have we here!! [Re: BrettF]  
BrettF Online content
BritBike Forum member
BrettF  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Geneva, Switzerland
Hi Don, yes running standard air filters, and inline fuel filters also so I'm sure it's not from the tank. I have not made any change to the tank, and had no such particles in the Bowls before.

3D TV: A format that lost a format war without even having an opponent.
Bikes:
69 T120 on average (1967 rolling frame and 1971 Bonnie engine)
57 T110 on average (58 rolling frame - with 55 iron head engine)

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.170s Queries: 15 (0.018s) Memory: 0.8172 MB (Peak: 0.9552 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 05:41:36 UTC