BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Mitch C.
Mitch C.
the dungeon, in N.W. Ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
523 registered members (1959terry), 2,408 guests, and 585 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
gunnar, Mark Obert, Rygin2609, Rich Warren, Andrew90
9905 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 73
Lannis 73
reverb 57
C.B.S 47
Popular Topics(Views)
415,664 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics64,966
Posts628,635
Members9,905
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#710491 - 10/04/17 11:33 am Bsa A65 lightning  
Grant Offline
New poster
Grant  Offline
New poster

Waiheke Island New Zealand
Hi recently purchased a A65 lightning in Australia have shipped it to New Zealand.
Informed it is US model imported into Aus Old Aus registration. Has it as 1966 model engine nos have engine as August 1970 frame no has prefix A65 J got me scratching my head will post some photos next couple of days
Have just started her after 5 years not been run have a multitude of tasks to do
have put new tyres on had her on the street for a 50 mile ride running boysen with 6 volt coils no ignition switch or Zener diode wiring was a mess sorting through it slowly battery does not seem to be charging have had intermittent missing put it down to low voltage and dodgy earth on coil charged up battery have tuned and running a lot better have changed all fluids reset valve clearance have not touched timing will be factoring in a complete engine tear down at some stage as funds permit any knowledge on the no ignition switch or Zener diode or dating of machine would be much appreciated

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#710494 - 10/04/17 12:19 pm Re: Bsa A65 lightning [Re: Grant]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Grant,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum. bigt

Secondly, I had to read your post several times to get even a rough idea of what you're trying to say; any chance you could use some punctuation in later posts? smile

I've got: you've bought an A65 in Oz and shipped it to NZ; the Oz registration has it as a '66 but the engine number is '70; the bike hasn't run in 5 years; the electrics have a Boyer-Bransden (? afaik, "boysen" used to be a make of reed valve for two-smokes) electronic ignition but don't have an ignition switch or Zener diode and the battery doesn't seem to be charging? Correct?

Originally Posted by Grant
any knowledge on
dating of machine

What are the engine and frame numbers?

Originally Posted by Grant
any knowledge on the no ignition switch or Zener diode

What model of A65? If the bike apart from the engine is a '66, BSA produced some with 6V electrics originally. These can be upgraded to 12V relatively easily but whoever does it does have to know what they're doing.

What sort of "ignition switch" are you expecting? BSA didn't fit proper multi-combination key switches 'til '68; '66 has two rotary switches - ignition and lighting; the "ignition" one should have a small slot in the top for a flat, spade-shaped 'key'. Or a screwdriver ...

6V bikes didn't have a Zener diode. But where have you looked for the Zener diode on your bike?

One reason the battery might not be charging is it's donald ... because you went for a 50-mile ride without a Zener diode ...

Regards,

#710553 - 10/05/17 1:26 am Re: Bsa A65 lightning [Re: Grant]  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
Stuart, I thought BSA went 12V in 1965.

A50 and A65 frame numbers were all A50... until 1966. I cannot find/have never seen A65J though. Any chance that's a "T"?

No ignition switch? How do you kill the engine?

Yes, if 12V system, no zener diode will cook the battery in short order. Light bulbs won't last long either.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#710580 - 10/05/17 8:25 am Re: Bsa A65 lightning [Re: Mark Z]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Mark,

Originally Posted by Mark Z
I thought BSA went 12V in 1965.
I cannot find/have never seen A65J though. Any chance that's a "T"?

Haven't come across any BSA or Triumph built before '66 with original 12V electrics; all 6V or conversions. Have come across a couple of '66 Thunderbolts with 6V electrics.

No ignition switch? How do you kill the engine?

'66 12V bikes I've come across still had the same 88SA rotary switches as '62-on 6V bikes, so the Ignition switch has the "Off" position. I think the 'key' in it was supposed to stop the switch knob being turned, but I've never seen the absence of one that did ...

if 12V system, no zener diode will cook the battery in short order. Light bulbs won't last long either.

Can depend how any 12V 'conversion' has been done. Can't remember if it was here or TriumphRat but there was one not very long ago where the old 6V regulation connections from the alternator to the Ignition and Lighting switches hadn't been disconnected so, despite a Zener having been fitted, the alternator output was still being depressed depending on the switch connections ... facepalm Giveaway was the ammeter showed a greater charge with the lights on than with 'em off. grin

Hth.

Regards,

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Mike Carter 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.334s Queries: 15 (0.097s) Memory: 0.8119 MB (Peak: 0.9513 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-10-23 20:39:48 UTC