BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
63SuperRocket
63SuperRocket
Portland, ME
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
220 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,763 guests, and 545 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery, Jon Andrews
9958 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 190
koan58 100
Stuart 86
NickL 72
Popular Topics(Views)
437,841 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,282
Posts632,304
Members9,958
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#711841 - 10/17/17 8:48 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Sometimes a bit of hand fitting is needed , if you ease the female splines with a file , "de burr" , it might fit OK.
If the reason for dismantling is to replace the primary chain, then leave the clutch centre in place, it only needs to come off for gearbox work or gearbox sprocket replacement. The clutch, chain sprocket can be rebuilt onto the centre, its a challenge fitting the rollers but it cab be done with grease and tweesers if you are careful. Replacing the cush drive rubbers is a good idea, dont be surprised if the cush inners show a lot of wear, replace if suspect.
Do remember to fit the thrust washer around the centre bearing, usually these are pretty worn, get a new one if suspect, should be about 50 thou thick.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 10/17/17 9:27 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#711856 - 10/17/17 11:42 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Aus
you're email allowance is at it's limit.

#711867 - 10/18/17 1:24 am Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
HB, I was not picking on you for the terminology confusion, and, it looks like I may have been wrong about it anyway - I was going by what I see in my A65 Spares book.

Ok, as Gavin said, if you can get the chain off/on without removing the chain wheel, then leave the clutch center (hub?) and chain wheel in place.

Now as far as getting the *hub* (cush drive) back on: The spline fitting is a VERY close fit - any sort of burr or irregularity will keep it from going on. Even after close examination and deburring anything you can find, you may find that you have to keep rotating it to various positions until you find the position that works best.

It sounds like you're also talking about taking the cush drive apart - I assume that would be to check and possibly replace the rubbers?

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#711987 - 10/19/17 2:07 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
HillbillyBarr Online content
BritBike Forum member
HillbillyBarr  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
NickL I cleared out some pm's. Mark Z I tried another clutch center and it will slide about half way on. I looked at mine and I don't see any burrs or any reason for it not to slide back on. I will try rotating it to see if it clocks in one position. I was trying to get the cush drive apart to see if I could get a puller onto the spider. I've got a new set of rubbers should I take apart the one that slides on and replace it's rubbers? I'll proably use that one as it slides better and has about the same wear. I didn't think you were picking on me. Like I said I'm a true hillbilly and don't always use the right terms. You should hear me talk. I was taught with words like lernt= learned tars=tires earl=oil hunnert=100 plus I usually drop the g on anything ending in ing so a lot of folks don't understand my talking.No biggie Thanks for y'alls help

#713638 - 11/02/17 8:14 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
Well today it warmed up around here after a coupla weeks bein colder than a well diggers arse ( noticed how I slipped in a Brit word there?) I took Kevin Roberts advise and used my propane torch to heat up my clutch center and after a few smacks with a large lead hammer and getting the same results I tried the advise of BSA_WM20 and used my impact. I ran it in till it hit then backed it out and after doin this several times Bingo it poped right off! To say I'm a happy man just doesn't even express my feelings! Whoopeee! I'm very thankful to all y'all very much! Now I didn't see any signs of red Loctite at all. All I can see is a bit of a burr on the woodruff key. It's time for a cold one. Thanks again and if any of y'all are over/down/up my way stop in and I'll give you one too!

A Happy HillbillyBarr! Thanks, Gene

#713646 - 11/02/17 9:15 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
kevin roberts Online content
BritBike Forum member
kevin roberts  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
odd that it was that hard to get off, really.

all my stuff is tightened to specs (gawd, or less-- 60 ft-pounds on that little B44 mainshaft seems like too much, so i just use blue loctite and reason), but i can always get it off by screwing in the tool, and seldom ever have to smack it with anything.

clean off any burrs on that shaft, and then do what tridentman recommends and lap the shaft/clutch center with some fine abrasive to make it lock up without so much torque on the fasteners.

Into the distance a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast how
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
#713680 - 11/03/17 2:17 am Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
HBB, you asked in an earlier post if you should replace the cush rubbers. Since you have some new ones, and since you've taken it this far, it would be prudent to at least look at the rubbers that are in there. If they're hard and/or shrunken, they should be replaced.

I assume you'll also be replacing the cover screws with the beat-up heads. You will want to stake them as original to insure they don't back out.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#713702 - 11/03/17 11:59 am Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
Yep I've gone this far I'm replacing what I can. I think the clutch hub was tightened too far on the main shaft, kinda like the drag link on a pitman arm. There were no shim washers behind this or the crank sprocket either. To lap the hub should I put some valve grinding compound on the shaft then rotate the hub on it? then clean it all off. I also noticed the seal behind the hob has a small crack/split I guess I'll be calling Peter as I don't think I ordered one when I last ordered parts. I'm hope he has the screws for the ones I damaged in the cush or clutch center. Thanks Mark I will. Do I stake them in back like they were originally or can I stake the heads? Thanks Gene

#713709 - 11/03/17 1:31 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
AML Online content
BritBike Forum member
AML  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

NYC & Upstate NY
Gene,
I replaced my clutch rubbers last month using rubbers and screws and other bits I bought from Peter, who in response to my question about staking suggested I use red locktite instead.
HTH
Adam

#713741 - 11/03/17 8:09 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
Ok I gotta get a seal from Peter also so I'll get screws from him too. I wondered about using Loctite on them. Thanks Adam

#713744 - 11/03/17 8:19 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Once you get the seal out you will probably find the sleeve gear bush which it rubs against has a groove worn in it.

it doesnt seal very well when it is worn, its a complete box strip to get to this and replace it.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
#713764 - 11/03/17 10:28 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
kevin roberts Online content
BritBike Forum member
kevin roberts  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by HillbillyBarr
. . . I guess I'll be calling Peter as I don't think I ordered one when I last ordered parts. I'm hope he has the screws for the ones I damaged in the cush or clutch center. Thanks Mark I will. Do I stake them in back like they were originally or can I stake the heads? Thanks Gene

peter quick has everything and it will be in the mail to you within about ten minutes of him receiving your order.

i won't buy from anybody else for the thumpers.

Into the distance a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast how
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.141s Queries: 15 (0.021s) Memory: 0.8868 MB (Peak: 1.0991 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-22 11:24:03 UTC