BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
sbolton
sbolton
Flint, Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
57 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 239 guests, and 447 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gaspare, eberhard, Norman Woollons, LandoLando, MikeA
10256 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 76
Lannis 63
Popular Topics(Views)
608,657 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,112
Posts651,269
Members10,256
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr] #713638
11/02/17 8:14 pm
11/02/17 8:14 pm
S.E. Ohio
H
HillbillyBarr Online content OP
BritBike Forum member
HillbillyBarr  Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
H
S.E. Ohio
Well today it warmed up around here after a coupla weeks bein colder than a well diggers arse ( noticed how I slipped in a Brit word there?) I took Kevin Roberts advise and used my propane torch to heat up my clutch center and after a few smacks with a large lead hammer and getting the same results I tried the advise of BSA_WM20 and used my impact. I ran it in till it hit then backed it out and after doin this several times Bingo it poped right off! To say I'm a happy man just doesn't even express my feelings! Whoopeee! I'm very thankful to all y'all very much! Now I didn't see any signs of red Loctite at all. All I can see is a bit of a burr on the woodruff key. It's time for a cold one. Thanks again and if any of y'all are over/down/up my way stop in and I'll give you one too!

A Happy HillbillyBarr! Thanks, Gene

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr] #713646
11/02/17 9:15 pm
11/02/17 9:15 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Online content
fefsa
kevin roberts  Online Content
fefsa
ohio, usa
odd that it was that hard to get off, really.

all my stuff is tightened to specs (gawd, or less-- 60 ft-pounds on that little B44 mainshaft seems like too much, so i just use blue loctite and reason), but i can always get it off by screwing in the tool, and seldom ever have to smack it with anything.

clean off any burrs on that shaft, and then do what tridentman recommends and lap the shaft/clutch center with some fine abrasive to make it lock up without so much torque on the fasteners.

live every day.
die once.
Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr] #713680
11/03/17 2:17 am
11/03/17 2:17 am
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Owego, NY, USA
HBB, you asked in an earlier post if you should replace the cush rubbers. Since you have some new ones, and since you've taken it this far, it would be prudent to at least look at the rubbers that are in there. If they're hard and/or shrunken, they should be replaced.

I assume you'll also be replacing the cover screws with the beat-up heads. You will want to stake them as original to insure they don't back out.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr] #713702
11/03/17 11:59 am
11/03/17 11:59 am
S.E. Ohio
H
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
H
S.E. Ohio
Yep I've gone this far I'm replacing what I can. I think the clutch hub was tightened too far on the main shaft, kinda like the drag link on a pitman arm. There were no shim washers behind this or the crank sprocket either. To lap the hub should I put some valve grinding compound on the shaft then rotate the hub on it? then clean it all off. I also noticed the seal behind the hob has a small crack/split I guess I'll be calling Peter as I don't think I ordered one when I last ordered parts. I'm hope he has the screws for the ones I damaged in the cush or clutch center. Thanks Mark I will. Do I stake them in back like they were originally or can I stake the heads? Thanks Gene

Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr] #713709
11/03/17 1:31 pm
11/03/17 1:31 pm
NYC & Upstate NY
A
AML Online content
BritBike Forum member
AML  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
A
NYC & Upstate NY
Gene,
I replaced my clutch rubbers last month using rubbers and screws and other bits I bought from Peter, who in response to my question about staking suggested I use red locktite instead.
HTH
Adam

Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr] #713741
11/03/17 8:09 pm
11/03/17 8:09 pm
S.E. Ohio
H
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
H
S.E. Ohio
Ok I gotta get a seal from Peter also so I'll get screws from him too. I wondered about using Loctite on them. Thanks Adam

Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr] #713744
11/03/17 8:19 pm
11/03/17 8:19 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Offline
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Offline
BritBike Forum member
argyll. scotland, uk
Once you get the seal out you will probably find the sleeve gear bush which it rubs against has a groove worn in it.

it doesnt seal very well when it is worn, its a complete box strip to get to this and replace it.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr] #713764
11/03/17 10:28 pm
11/03/17 10:28 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Online content
fefsa
kevin roberts  Online Content
fefsa
ohio, usa
Originally Posted by HillbillyBarr
. . . I guess I'll be calling Peter as I don't think I ordered one when I last ordered parts. I'm hope he has the screws for the ones I damaged in the cush or clutch center. Thanks Mark I will. Do I stake them in back like they were originally or can I stake the heads? Thanks Gene

peter quick has everything and it will be in the mail to you within about ten minutes of him receiving your order.

i won't buy from anybody else for the thumpers.

live every day.
die once.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership