BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Mitch C.
Mitch C.
the dungeon, in N.W. Ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
522 registered members (1959terry), 2,408 guests, and 585 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
gunnar, Mark Obert, Rygin2609, Rich Warren, Andrew90
9905 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 73
Lannis 73
reverb 57
C.B.S 47
Popular Topics(Views)
415,664 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics64,966
Posts628,635
Members9,905
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#710313 - 10/02/17 7:07 pm 441 clutch hub  
HillbillyBarr Online content
BritBike Forum member
HillbillyBarr  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
Usually this isn't a problem but when I tried removing my clutch hub with the proper tool it just stayed stuck. So like the manual says I gave it a rap with a hammer, no go. Then after trying that a couple times I got a longer wrench and proceeded to pull the threads out of the tool. Now I've still got a stuck hub and no tool. the puller only went in about 4 threads. Any ideas? This is the first time the puller never worked. Thanks, Gene

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#710347 - 10/03/17 12:02 am Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
Dave T Online content
BritBike Forum member
Dave T  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Fergus, Ontario, Canada
I have done exactly the same tonight on an A65 engine. Like you I normally never have a problem, but this one will not move. I stripped the threads in the tool but when I looked at it it was only stripped about half the length so I carefully cut the stripped threads, dressed it with a file and tried to fit it to a spare hub that I have. It worked. My problem is the threads in the hub I am trying to remove are knackered, or a different thread, but I can only find one tool that is listed with my usual supplier for A65s. and I have used the same tool on engines that span from 67 to 71 with no probs, so don't think it is that.

Anyway, my solution might help you. Cut the bad threads of the tool and try again. If you are lucky and have not stripped the threads in the hub it might work.

I am wondering if, seeing as I am completely stripping down this engine whether I can remove the timing side cover, release the gearbox and drift out the gear box main shaft from the hub on the drive side? Has anyone every done that? Can it be done?

#710349 - 10/03/17 12:26 am Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
"I am wondering if, seeing as I am completely stripping down this engine whether I can remove the timing side cover, release the gearbox and drift out the gear box main shaft from the hub on the drive side? Has anyone every done that? Can it be done?"

No

Getting the clutch centre off is difficult , its very common for the tool to strip its threads.

If you apply heat to the collar it will help the chocolate stock puller but sometimes thats not enough. You never know, it may have been put on with bearing fit/red loctite, heat will break its grip, plus the expansion will help . Careful when belting the puller to jar it free, remember theres a bearing at the other end.

In extreme cases they can be split with an angle grinder/ dremel with cut off wheel.Cut almost to depth then split with a chisel blow.

Nickl has a good puller which works by pulling from behind the collar, two stiff plates with cut outs to clear the shaft are bolted together in situ, then a strong back is place over the shaft end , large threaded bolts engage the plate behind the centre , a large central jacking screw against the shaft end provides the pressure. Something similar can be made from a suitably sized main bearing inner tool, the type with the two half moon wedges .

A std type 3 leg puller may do the job, but it will probably distort the rim of the offending part.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
#710350 - 10/03/17 12:42 am Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: gavin eisler]  
Dave T Online content
BritBike Forum member
Dave T  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Fergus, Ontario, Canada
Thanks Gavin.

I was about to have a go tomorrow at drifting out the main shaft. Good job I asked here first.
I will buy another puller and see if I can get the threads started. i have done this job a number of times before with no problem. Oh well, all part of the fun of brit bike ownership. I did try heat tonight, about 10 minutes of hot air gun on high playing over the collar and protruding main shaft, but with no luck. I might have to go the dremel route. Thanks again for stopping me really messing things up!

#710359 - 10/03/17 2:19 am Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
Rusty Goose Online content
BritBike Forum member
Rusty Goose  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sacramento California
I was preparing to do this same battle on my B44, I bought a new puller (smaller than the A65 on I have). I whittled the engine down to get to it, started the puller into the clutch hub and as I went to turn around for the wrench.... the clutch fell off in my hand. Well then, I guess the sight of a new puller just scared it off.

1967 A65 Lightning
1967 Triumph T20 Mountain Cub
1967 Moto Guzzi V7
1969 B44 Victor Special
1966? Royal Enfield Interceptor
#710389 - 10/03/17 12:45 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Before I create confusion, you cannot strip a unit twin A65 gearbox without removing the clutch centre, however the unit singles can be partially stripped by removing the cam plate pivot ( impossible on the twins until the trapdoor is removed). So the singles can have access to the gearbox guts without stripping the primary, not so on the twins.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
#710453 - 10/03/17 11:26 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
chaterlea25 Offline
BritBike Forum member
chaterlea25  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Cork Ireland
HI All,
Regarding the use of heat when trying to remove the clutch centre (shaft adaptor)
Ok this won't work if its loctited on :-(
Rather than using a heat gun or small blow lamp, boil a kettle full of water!
Apply the puller and tension it
Pour the boiling water over the adaptor fairly quickly, this can expand the adaptor enough to free it before the heat has time to travel through
into the shaft, as happens when using a heat gun

John

#710475 - 10/04/17 7:09 am Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
Ok I'll try cutting the puller back to the good threads. Then I'll boil the water but before that I guess I'll try pulling all the parts off the clutch first so it's just the hub on the shaft. I guess I could put the puller in my mill's vise to cut it down then file the threads. I'll let y'all know what happens. Thanks for the idea. Gene

#710591 - 10/05/17 12:50 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
GEt the word PULLER out of your head.
It is not a PULLER like a flywheel puller or a gear puller.
IT is a PRELOADER
It does not pull the centre off, it puts a load on the centre so when you smack it hard with a dead blow hammer ( lead or copper ) the energy from the smack jolts the joint momentarily and then the preloaded stress causes the parts to break free.

Way too many people think you just keep on turning it till the joint comes free, that will never happen using hand tools you will just keep on stripping the threads.

The exception to this is tightening with a rattle gun.
This increases the force with short sharp jolts that in most cases will jolt the joint free before it is full tight.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#710769 - 10/07/17 6:40 am Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
I smacked the crap outa it with a 2lb dead blow it didn't do squat. Even used a ballpeen. No dice. I tried tightening the center bolt as a last resort. If your rattle gun is an air impact I don't use them on fine threads as they usually pull the threads. I've got a steering wheel puller missing a few threads because of one.

#710770 - 10/07/17 7:34 am Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Aus
The 'puller' i made engages on the gap in the spline area of the hub, it bolts together and can then exert pressure on the hub without
relying on threads. I made it small enough to fit inside the basket and bolt together, that way it retains the rollers so the whole thing
comes out as a lump. It suits both 3 and 4 spring a65 and triumph clutches but i think the centre hub on the 441 is smaller so it would
require different jaws.
Trevor is absolutely correct though, a sharp smack with a lead hammer is still required.
Over the years i tried various methods, heating with the puller fitted, then sticking some ice and cold water on it will sometimes do the trick.
If photobucket still worked, there were some pictures of the puller there..............................

#710772 - 10/07/17 10:29 am Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sydney Australia
Originally Posted by HillbillyBarr
I smacked the crap outa it with a 2lb dead blow it didn't do squat. Even used a ballpeen. No dice. I tried tightening the center bolt as a last resort. If your rattle gun is an air impact I don't use them on fine threads as they usually pull the threads. I've got a steering wheel puller missing a few threads because of one.

Yes it is an air impact, the biggest 1/2" one I could get at the time , around 1400 ft lbs from memory.
I need this to remove commercial ride on blades which self tighten in use.
However the same gun pops off almost anything, it is the rapid jerking motion that does it , not brute force.

However yours would not be the first centre that some *%#!!! had bolted down with locktite on the taper because the taper was bad and locktite is easier than lapping the center to the mains shaft.

Using a BSA clutch hub extractor ( BSA did not call them pullers ) is a little more comples than many imagine.
What most do not do is clean the threads before they start.
The tool should bottom out on the hub and then & only then should you start to do up the center bolt.
When bottomed out the threads are a lot stronger and will not strip.
I have seen people do the tool up finger tight then strip the threads when doing up the tensioning bolt followed by complaining that the tool is rubbish.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
#711024 - 10/09/17 6:50 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
Like I said mine would only thread down about 4 threads before stopping. I used a wrench and even a socket. Had a bunch of stuff come up so I haven't got back to it yet. My 1/2" impact is 400 ft/lbs never saw a 1400 ft/lb in 1/2 " drive. I know the BSA manual calls the tool an extractor but every company I seen that sells them call them pullers as they do pull the hub center but I'm not gonna argue over the label of the tool I'd just like to get the hub off. Hoping maybe tomorrow I'll have time to work on it

#711030 - 10/09/17 7:38 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
Andy Higham Online content
BritBike Forum member
Andy Higham  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Bolton Lancs UK
If it is loctited on, you will need to heat the hub so spit sizzles on it and oil smokes, that will break the loctite bond.
My Aprilia uses loctite on the alternator rotor and heating is the official way to remove it

1955 BSA B31 400cc "Stargazer"
1962 Greeves 200cc "Blue Meanie"
1962/67 Greeves 350cc
1967 Greeves 360cc Challenger
1984 Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
Modified Nu-Trak GM500cc sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
#711140 - 10/10/17 8:50 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
Ok after making a cush drive puller out of 1"x1/4" bar stock about 4" long I drilled a 9/16 hole in the center then drilled 2 holes for the clutch nuts. After taking 1/4" round stock I heated it and bent it in a V shape and welded it centered on the bar. I screwed on the nuts and with a few slams of a slide hammer it came on off. Now my question is do I have to take off the clutch hub? Can I just use grease to hold the 25 roller bearing in place and reassemble it? Otherwise I'm gonna heat up some water and try to break it free.Thanks

#711401 - 10/13/17 7:16 am Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Aus
shot of the puller i use fitted to a65 4 spring.

[Linked Image]

#711548 - 10/14/17 6:01 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
I can't see you pic. I sure would like to as I might be able to make one for mine.

#711678 - 10/15/17 10:04 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Aus
[Linked Image]

#711737 - 10/16/17 10:42 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
Still can't see it. can you send it to my phone or email? PM me please

#711762 - 10/17/17 1:40 am Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
"Now my question is do I have to take off the clutch hub?"

The terminology snafu rears its ugly head once again. BSA calls the thingy with the cush rubbers the "hub", and the thingy that's on the taper of the mainshaft the "clutch center". Triumph calls them exactly the opposite; go figure. But since we're dealing with a BSA:

Ok, so you've removed the clutch hub, or cush drive as you called it. Since this is a four-bolt clutch, I assume that the chain wheel is "trapped" in place by the clutch center. You didn't say what your original objective was in doing this job, but if you're not doing a complete tear-down on the engine, and you don't need to remove the chain wheel (clutch basket), then no, you do not need to remove the clutch center. Just stick the rollers in place with grease as you surmised and put it back together.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#711808 - 10/17/17 3:11 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: Mark Z]  
Peter Quick Offline
Sponsor
Peter Quick  Offline

Sponsor

Jaffrey, NH, USA
Originally Posted by Mark Z
"Now my question is do I have to take off the clutch hub?"

The terminology snafu rears its ugly head once again. BSA calls the thingy with the cush rubbers the "hub", and the thingy that's on the taper of the mainshaft the "clutch center". Triumph calls them exactly the opposite; go figure. But since we're dealing with a BSA:

Mark,

I can assure you that BSA had their terminology correct for the clutch parts for the unit singles. Seems to be the same as the Triumph terminology. In both the spares manuals and service manuals for the unit singles they identify the hub as the part that connects to the mainshaft and the clutch center as the slotted central unit that holds the cush rubbers and drives the smooth plates. Not sure why BSA would have used different terminology for the twins if that is what you are referring to. I just went through some spares books and service manuals to confirm this for the unit singles.

Peter

check out: www.bsaunitsingles.com
2500 BSA part numbers with inventory in stock just for the unit singles!
#711823 - 10/17/17 5:40 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
My reason for dismantling is my worn primary chain. I think I still need to remove the center piece that's on the main shaft because the cush drive won't slid back on, something must be wrong. Notice my name? Hillbilly I'm not the best with words so I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm gonna try cutting the bad threads off the extractor today then pour boiling water on the hub and see if that lets it come off. There was no evidence of Loctite on the cush so I hope there's none on the hub. The clutch basket looks great there wasn't any wear on any of the splines. Like many of y'all I only get a limited time with this as I've got other work ahead of this. Thanks for you patience and help.

Gene a true hillbilly
A bunch of Victors
Triumph Bonneville
Honda V65 Sabre
My Dad's 850 Suzuki L
Honda 50

#711827 - 10/17/17 6:16 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
Ok after lookin at my 69 parts book I see what I've been calling a cush drive is the clutch center but what I call the clutch hub is called the clutch hub so at least I'm 1/2 right. Folks have been correcting my speech all my life so I'm used to it. So now I'm gonna mill off the threads of my clutch hub extractor ( not a puller I guess) and try to remove that stuck clutch hub. After that I'm gonna have to do something about the 2 screws that I wasted the hears on trying to remove. They must've made them outa butter steel! Thanks again for the help with my bike and my words

#711835 - 10/17/17 8:03 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
If its the screws that hold the cush drive together, They are peened at the far end , lightly drill the peen and they unscrew nae bother, hub has to come off first, good luck with the centre removal.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
#711839 - 10/17/17 8:26 pm Re: 441 clutch hub [Re: HillbillyBarr]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

S.E. Ohio
Oh that explains it. I can do that. I think my clutch center is a might thick in the center. I tried to put it back on and it won't go at all. I tried another one I took off another bike and it slides almost half way on. I took a pot of boiling water and poured it on the hub but no go. I fired up my torch with a rosebud tip but before anything got hot I ran out of gas! Did I mention I got bad luck? Anyway I've decided to leave the hub alone and reassemble it with the clutch center that started to slide on before anything else goes to crap. One good thing about the water was I found the 25th bearing I couldn't find. Thanks again folks yer all alright!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Mike Carter 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.507s Queries: 16 (0.066s) Memory: 0.9978 MB (Peak: 1.3536 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-10-23 20:38:39 UTC