BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
allflatblack
allflatblack
Jersey City NJ, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
205 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,579 guests, and 562 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gerard, Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly
9962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 101
Stuart 82
Popular Topics(Views)
440,575 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,306
Posts631,974
Members9,962
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
#706239 - 08/26/17 2:17 am Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
Funny you should mention hair testing.

My ex supervisor had the shaved look. I told him point blank he looked like a junkie. That's the look first started by folks who don't want their drug use history growing out of their bodies.

They remove all their hair, apparently, even eyebrows.

This guy was a real loser. Came to work drunk or stoned nearly every day. Finally got caught in the random drug test and was given 30 days unpaid LOA for drug counseling.

He told me he went to his counseling blasted out of his gourd. Then he proudly showed me how he devised a method of faking his drug tests. Unbelievable....loser, POS.

Cheers,
Bill

PS
For those of you who have real difficulty saying no to alcohol and wanting to, there is always Antabuse. Have your MD write a scrip for it and see how it does for you. One drink should convince you not to do it again as you will be sick as a dog for several hours after one beer.
You will have the same response I have to alcohol. After the last time I had a glass of wine and was sick for 12 hours, I very definitely won't be doing that again.
B.

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 08/26/17 2:29 am.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#706240 - 08/26/17 2:26 am Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Cannabinoids stay in the fatty cells of the body. Typically, a regular or semi regular user of weed will test positive for up to something like 42 days after most recent usage. One may simply be in a room with people smoking and test positive. As many ways as there are to test for substance use, there are probably an equal number of ways to hide your use.

If somebody has something to hide then honesty isn't their first priority. It took me a long time to figure out that ones priorities should be elsewhere, other than, where can I smoke this doobie?and who wants to buy some dope?and hold my pipe and watch this!

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/26/17 2:28 am.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#706278 - 08/26/17 2:24 pm Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: Hillbilly bike]  
shel Online content
BritBike Forum member
shel  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

ohio
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
I do not like to ride when intoxicated by any substance.

Me either and it's not just the safety or legal aspect to it, it just takes the enjoyment out of it for me. If we're out riding and stop somewhere to eat I may have a beer but one's the limit. To me beer is for after the bike is put away.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
#706289 - 08/26/17 3:55 pm Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: ricochetrider]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Cannabinoids stay in the fatty cells of the body. Typically, a regular or semi regular user of weed will test positive for up to something like 42 days after most recent usage. One may simply be in a room with people smoking and test positive. As many ways as there are to test for substance use, there are probably an equal number of ways to hide your use.

If somebody has something to hide then honesty isn't their first priority. It took me a long time to figure out that ones priorities should be elsewhere, other than, where can I smoke this doobie?and who wants to buy some dope?and hold my pipe and watch this!

Honesty is one of the issues behind drug testing. If an employee is lying or trying to deceive his employer about something as important to his ability to do the job as regular drug use, what ELSE is the employee lying about?

The drug tests are smart enough to find the problems. No one is testing anyone's hair, or looking at their body cells to see if they ever shot up heroin in their whole lives. No one's going to lose a good, honest, clean employee over a data point on a chart.

And we ALWAYS used to hear, when someone popped, "It's because I had a poppy seed bagel last week!!" "I took some cough medicine this weekend!" "Hey, I was just in the room with them, man, I never blew any dope ... !"

We always knew better. There's a lot of "urban legend" about how to 'beat' drug tests or explain your way out of them. When someone failed a test, it was NEVER EVER a surprise. No one is "hiding" their habits and behavior, even though they think they are.

I agree with just about everything you're saying. The only comment I'd make is that the ONLY people that think they are doing a good job or enhancing their performance with alcohol or opiods or cannabis are the people that are drunk or stoned. Everyone else knows what's going on; every objective test of performance between clean people and people under the influence shows a marked decrease in mental and physical ability and judgment by users; the fact that they were able to survive is secondary. How many times have I heard some slurring, staggering, red-faced drunk hollering "Hailfahr, man, Ah kin drive better with a case of Blue Ribbon in me than most people kin drive sober!". Usually just before the crash ....

I've been on the Internet long enough to know that many people who read this thread won't read what I'm actually saying; they'll imagine what they THINK I'm saying through The Red Mist of Anger, and will accuse me of wanting Prohibition, or saying that no one should have a pint at the pub at lunch, or they're going to Hell or whatever; something they made up and projected onto me. Nothing I can do about that; nowt queer as folk ... !

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#706295 - 08/26/17 5:01 pm Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: shel]  
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Running from demons in WNY
Originally Posted by shel
I do not like to ride when intoxicated by any substance.

Me either and it's not just the safety or legal aspect to it, it just takes the enjoyment out of it for me. If we're out riding and stop somewhere to eat I may have a beer but one's the limit. To me beer is for after the bike is put away.

I still have a CDL license so even one beer is too much...........I may have a drink or two at a party...it's all good and then about a few hours later I feel crappy and wish I never drank anything...
What Lannis said... In my construction career I never met a guy who was a better worker while intoxicated...Mega huge power house jobs would often go to seven twelve hour days for awhile. Workers get tired and it popular to use amphetamines for a boost. Or blow because everyone had a pocket full of money...It worked very briefly and then mistakes happened when you thought you we better than than you are courtesy of the drugs...
Many years ago in the 1970's I was a lot less concerned about riding impaired.... A few of us were getting on a good buzz ...Then we rode to a party about 15 miles away in a rural area. It was a very windy night and had to lean the bikes into the wind to go in a straight line...At the party we realized it was a calm night with no wind....

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
#706308 - 08/26/17 6:45 pm Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
HawaiianTiger Online content
BritBike Forum member
HawaiianTiger  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Maui Hawaii
I just wanted to add one more piece of info that wasn't included int he documentary.

For those of you who have been drinking regularly, quitting cold turkey may not be an option for you.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with alcoholics in the ICU who were there for an accident or illness and we had to deal with their withdrawals from alcohol. I used to be that an MD would write a scrip for alcohol at bedside, but this faded away.

Depending on how severe the withdrawals were, we would use Ativan or something similar to sedate the patients. If too bad, we might even chemically paralyze the patient, put them on a ventilator, and induce coma. Even so, the patients would often seize while in the coma. If the patient was awake, we had to be very careful as they might hallucinate, be violent, scream and yell and all sorts of weird behavior.

Without medical care, its not unheard of that people just die when they quit drinking.

If you feel anxiety, paranoia, have tachycardia, or have hallucinations or tremors when you don't drink for a couple of days, you are in serious trouble. The list of symptoms is much longer than this, but you get the picture.

Also, if you claim that drinking makes you feel good, consider this. Perhaps you feel bad if you don't drink and can only feel good when you do. If you didn't drink at all, before long you might feel good all the time. Just thinking out loud here....

Cheers,
Bill

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 08/26/17 6:53 pm.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Flying Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
#706316 - 08/26/17 7:23 pm Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
BeezaBryan Online content
BritBike Forum member
BeezaBryan  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
I went for a ride this afternoon, must have passed at least 10 pubs. had a coffee at a place where everyone is welcome.

[Linked Image]

Now chilling out after supper with a mug of camomile & honey.

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#706317 - 08/26/17 7:25 pm Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: BeezaBryan]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
I like the dog thing ... we take our border collie wherever we can.

But it's illegal in most of the US (all states, I think, although there may be some exceptions) to have dogs inside of eating establishments .....

Lannis

#706332 - 08/26/17 11:03 pm Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
[quote=HawaiianTiger]I just wanted to add one more piece of info that wasn't included int he documentary.

For those of you who have been drinking regularly, quitting cold turkey may not be an option for you.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to deal with alcoholics in the ICU who were there for an accident or illness and we had to deal with their withdrawals from alcohol. I used to be that an MD would write a scrip for alcohol at bedside, but this faded away.

Depending on how severe the withdrawals were, we would use Ativan or something similar to sedate the patients. If too bad, we might even chemically paralyze the patient, put them on a ventilator, and induce coma. Even so, the patients would often seize while in the coma. If the patient was awake, we had to be very careful as they might hallucinate, be violent, scream and yell and all sorts of weird behavior.

Without medical care, its not unheard of that people just die when they quit drinking.

If you feel anxiety, paranoia, have tachycardia, or have hallucinations or tremors when you don't drink for a couple of days, you are in serious trouble. The list of symptoms is much longer than this, but you get the picture.

Also, if you claim that drinking makes you feel good, consider this. Perhaps you feel bad if you don't drink and can only feel good when you do. If you didn't drink at all, before long you might feel good all the time. Just thinking out loud here....

Cheers,
Bill[/quote

It's the truth. Alcohol is the one drug that'll kill you if you try to go cold turkey.

Funny, you guys really crack me up.

I've worked at or near the very top of the food chain for over 30 years whether it was commercial construction, architectural millwork, or cabinet making. I achieved darn near "master" status as a carpenter and woodworker. I am absolutely a master moudling and install technician. When I worked in millwork shops, we would install pre finished woodwork. Which leaves about zero room for mistakes. I worked the jobs I wanted to work in the field when I was doing commercial & industrial construction, cherry picked my way thru historical restoration gigs, and worked in every high end cabinetry and woodworking shop in this area. Now I'm very close to the top of the food chain in my 2nd career.

That stuff doesn't happen by accident. I am an aggressive achiever, a voracious learner, and damn good at my. job- high or otherwise.

You guys with your opinions can think whatever you want.

The truth with no blush*t is that I passed right by pretty much any one and everyone during the course of my two careers, rising to the very top of both fields of endeavor.
You can fool some of the people some of the time but walk onto a job site and try to bullsh*t your way thru things and in about 5 minutes, every single person who knows anything about anything will know the truth about your skillset.
It's true on construction sites, in cabinet and high end shops, and its true in entertainment work too.

#706333 - 08/26/17 11:07 pm Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: ricochetrider]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia

I've worked at or near the very top of the food chain for over 30 years whether it was commercial construction, architectural millwork, or cabinet making. I achieved darn near "master" status as a carpenter and woodworker. I am absolutely a master moudling and install technician. When I worked in millwork shops, we would install pre finished woodwork. Which leaves about zero room for mistakes. I worked the jobs I wanted to work in the field when I was doing commercial & industrial construction, cherry picked my way thru historical restoration gigs, and worked in every high end cabinetry and woodworking shop in this area. Now I'm very close to the top of the food chain in my 2nd career.

That stuff doesn't happen by accident. I am an aggressive achiever, a voracious learner, and damn good at my. job- high or otherwise.

The truth with no blush*t is that I passed right by pretty much any one and everyone during the course of my two careers, rising to the very top of both fields of endeavor.
You can fool some of the people some of the time but walk onto a job site and try to bullsh*t your way thru things and in about 5 minutes, every single person who knows anything about anything will know the truth about your skillset.
It's true on construction sites, in cabinet and high end shops, and its true in entertainment work too.

I believe you. I've seen your work in Harrisburg. You ARE an artiste .....

Just think what you could have done if you'd been straight all that time!! bigt beerchug

Lannis

#706338 - 08/27/17 12:28 am Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: ricochetrider]  
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Running from demons in WNY

It's the truth. Alcohol is the one drug that'll kill you if you try to go cold turkey.

Funny, you guys really crack me up.

I also rose to the top of my career as a wireman in commercial,industrial,institutional construction. And the union building trades are a tough ship of pirates and getting near the top without being a boot licker is quite the feat.. I'm a master licensed electrician, have a 4 year college degree and have built the current speed record holder stock frame based Triumph 650 in land speed racing.Now I admit to being a causal weed user but never stoned while working...if your comment is to defend you saying you were stoned achieving all you have done....Then I don't know what to say based on what I've seen in at 70 years old..You are one special guy !!!

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
#706343 - 08/27/17 1:55 am Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: Hillbilly bike]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia

...if your comment is to defend you saying you were stoned achieving all you have done....Then I don't know what to say based on what I've seen in at 70 years old..You are one special guy !!!

Tom IS one special guy, talented in a large number of areas, a good friend to a lot of people, and has a knack for establishing an immediate rapport with just about anyone, anywhere, that I've never seen equaled. I've traveled with him a bit in the last 10 years, and will do it again this fall, overseas, and I know that when he speaks, he speaks "the thing that is".

I think we're just going to have to conclude that we don't know what to say!! bigt

Lannis

#706346 - 08/27/17 2:53 am Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
Moto Mojo

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
I guess I'm just saying don't rule anything out, there are definitely exceptions to every rule, and that anything is possible. By anything I mean any. thing. All one has to do in order to achieve is believe. A little drive helps too. wink

I've learned a lot over my 60 years. One thing I know for sure is if you want to see a goal come to fruition, you have to seriously focus. Never waver, never stray from the mission. Believe it so strongly that everyone around you believes it too.
I had a good run at carpentry, and I'm having another in career 2. I am blessed. And grateful.

PS: thanks for your kind words, Lannis.

EDIT: been thinking this through a bit. Knowing what I know now, clearly, doing drugs and getting f'ed up is not healthy or proper. If I had it to live over again with all of life's lessons in my pocket, I would not choose to do things the same way.
Not to say I have any REAL regrets, because I'm having a good life with many blessings.

It is what is, and all the roads taken have led me to where I am now.
If I died right now, my last thoughts wouldn't be those of regret.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/27/17 4:43 pm.

#708282 - 09/13/17 5:04 pm Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: ricochetrider]  
wadeschields Offline
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA

It is what is, and all the roads taken have led me to where I am now.
If I died right now, my last thoughts wouldn't be those of regret.

Cheers
[Linked Image]

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
#708326 - 09/14/17 12:25 am Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
Irish Swede Online content
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elburn, Ill. USA
I used alcohol to drown my sorrows.
It worked, until the damned things learned how to swim.

#708331 - 09/14/17 12:36 am Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: Irish Swede]  
Triless Online content
BritBike Forum member
Triless  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

OZ
Now, that does answer something I've been wondering about for a while !

#708333 - 09/14/17 12:49 am Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: wadeschields]  
Randy Pigford Offline
BritBike Forum member
Randy Pigford  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Terry MS, USA
Originally Posted by wadeschields
[quote=ricochetrider]

Cheers
[Linked Image]

Cheers to you! All this other talk is irrelevant!

#708441 - 09/14/17 7:33 pm Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
Irish Swede Online content
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elburn, Ill. USA
A woman like that could KILL a man....

....if he got LUCKY.

#708481 - 09/14/17 11:43 pm Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
quinten Online content
BritBike Forum member
quinten  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Pacific northwest

lets see if we can stretch this to 5 pages.

humans and alcohol consumption , According to some sources , goes back 10 million years.

humans early ability to eat and metabolize rotten ethanol laced fruit may
have give them an evolutionary Edge.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/12/ability-consume-alcohol-may-have-shaped-primate-evolution

#708483 - 09/15/17 12:00 am Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Aus
Let's all get smashed and go and hunt mammoths eh? laughing

#708510 - 09/15/17 5:39 am Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: HawaiianTiger]  
BeezaBryan Online content
BritBike Forum member
BeezaBryan  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Derbyshire UK
In an earlier life I discovered that three large gin & tonic fit nicely in a pint pot bigt

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

It's not the destination, it's the journey.

Bryan
BSA Owners Club UK
Ohio Valley BSAOC USA

#708511 - 09/15/17 5:42 am Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: NickL]  
Triless Online content
BritBike Forum member
Triless  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

OZ
No, it would be better to let the sheila go and hunt the mammoths while we all got smashed ! ( mines a Glenfiddich )

#708537 - 09/15/17 12:34 pm Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: Triless]  
MikeG Online content
BritBike Forum member
MikeG  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

New Hampshier USA
Originally Posted by Triless
No, it would be better to let the sheila go and hunt the mammoths while we all got smashed ! ( mines a Glenfiddich )

I much prefer the modern method...tell the sheila to get a steak on the grill then fetch me a glass of Glenlivit 15 year old. It rarely works but it's nice to dream eh?

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
#708538 - 09/15/17 12:39 pm Re: The truth about alcohol [Re: MikeG]  
Triless Online content
BritBike Forum member
Triless  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

OZ
Ah, you'll do, china !

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.416s Queries: 16 (0.015s) Memory: 1.0082 MB (Peak: 1.3690 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 11:13:59 UTC