BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
allflatblack
allflatblack
Jersey City NJ, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
205 registered members (2ndchildhood), 1,580 guests, and 562 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gerard, Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly
9962 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 186
koan58 101
Stuart 82
Popular Topics(Views)
440,575 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,306
Posts631,974
Members9,962
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
#706863 - 08/31/17 7:19 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
tried out the new Qh headlamp in the dark, what an improvement, most pleased.
last fill, 65 mpg, oil change coming up, thinking of using v-twin semi synth 20 -50.
The oil pressure lamp stopped working, took it apart put it back together , works again, must have been feeling lonely.
need a new rear license plate , the old one has split ( again)

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#706869 - 08/31/17 7:57 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: gavin eisler]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by gavin eisler

Our license plates are made of of some cheap stuff, for sure.

I always bolt an old one behind the new one to reinforce it. Even after a plate has split, it won't split any more after that. Been running the same plate for years on the old BSAs ....

Lannis

OK, I admit it, I'm addicted to brake fluid.

But I can stop any time I want.
#706876 - 08/31/17 8:24 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
No Name Man Online content
Life member
No Name Man  Online Content

Life member

SE Ohio
All I did on em today was ride the new(95) Trident. Fine machine.

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
Too much moderation is bad for you.

#706893 - 08/31/17 10:40 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
JubeePrince Offline
Life member
JubeePrince  Offline

Life member

Back on the mainland!
Nice long ride on the '16 Trophy today. Ended up at the Triumph dealer/service center to get the erroneous service message taken care of on the on-board computer.....bought a new pair of summer gloves and a new full-face helmet: that thing is amazing. Lighter, quieter, cooler, better fit and the viz is ALMOST as good as the plain helmets with windshields. Just need to tip the head a bit more when looking straight down at something.

Going for a ride on the Jubilee tonite.....life is good!

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
#706895 - 08/31/17 10:44 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Good tip, thanks Lannis.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
#706896 - 08/31/17 10:47 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
Red Lapierre Online content
BritBike Forum member
Red Lapierre  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Upstate NY
I finished getting a spoke wheel with Disc brake on my 62 A10 BSA (modified). Had to swap from a Suzuki front end I had on it to a Yamaha. Looks so much better than a mag wheel. Now I need to find time to ride it.

57 A10 GF
61 A7
61 A10 GF
63 A10 SR
76 CB 125 Honda
76 FLH
2012 FLHTP
#706902 - 08/31/17 11:31 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
So after a test run on the Norton, which has NOTHING I need to do to it now except ride it anywhere and everywhere, I rolled the A10 back up on the bench.

It ran well to Ohio and back, but the lights went out and that needs sorting.

Plus, even though it did very well in the rain, not misfiring at all and easy to start, the magneto wires are looking like crap after 10 years - cracked rubber boots, loose sloppy connections at the boots and brush holders, insulation peeling out.

So making up a little list. Need new plug caps and plug wires, and new mag brushes (the holders are fine). Have never cleaned the graphite off the rotor even though the brushes are 3/4 gone, so it probably needs it (no symptoms yet). The Lucas reflector finally reached escape velocity from the rear fender, leaving a hole behind, hope the repops are decent 'cause I'll bet there's no Lucas ones any more.

Two broken wires in the headlight shell so that explains the lights. Took the headlight rotary switch out, cleaned it up, and checked the resistance - just a fraction of an ohm in each position. The pilot light holder is about shot, so I'll need one of those, and the wires in there all need new clean terminations, either just coating the ends with solder for those that are under a setscrew, or check the terminal ends for the spade and socket connectors. I'll look into a better type of headlight socket and bulb, and I'll check on whether it's finally time after 56 years to retire the old mechanical regulator, which is still working but deserves being put out to pasture.

And the ammeter has gone the way of all ammeters, and is dead.

So that's my "Shaun Gibbons Memorial Two Hours" in the shop. Triless, I SWEAR that I will get back on that Matchless, thanks for the reminder ... !

Lannis

Last edited by Lannis; 08/31/17 11:32 pm.

#706906 - 09/01/17 2:13 am Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
kevin roberts Online content
BritBike Forum member
kevin roberts  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
stuck the T120 up on the lift.

[Linked Image]

have to pull the motor and then see about drilling the head for dual plugs, look over the gearbox, check the cam timing, add a puke can for the breathers, re-weld the tank straps, remove the kick start, and reposition the foot controls.

Into the distance a ribbon of black
Stretched to the point of no turning back
A flight of fancy on a windswept field
Standing alone my senses reeled
A fatal attraction is holding me fast how
How can I escape this irresistible grasp?
#706912 - 09/01/17 3:50 am Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: gavin eisler]  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA

Finally, after 40 or so years of cracking license plates, I came up with a solution that works. I know, a picture is worth a thousand words, but I don't have one handy, so I'll try to make this as concise as possible:

I made a backing plate out of 1/8" aluminum. The vertical edges are rolled to prevent "wag" (bent 90 degrees with a press and then cut right along the bend). The plate is attached to the license plate bracket and the license plate is attached to the plate (top two bolts are double-duty).

It might not have needed it, but I also attached a chunk of rubber behind the backing plate, thick enough to rest against the fender. The rubber is attached to the plate with a taper-head machine screw, countersunk into the plate, so as not to interfere with the license plate. On the fender side, the nut is countersunk into the rubber.

I rounded off the corners of the plate and dressed the cut edges with a file, then wet-sanded and polished the plate (just a bit of overkill here, as only the edges are visible). Anyway, it all looks very natural, and the (new) license plate has remained intact for two years.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#706929 - 09/01/17 12:00 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: kevin roberts]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
stuck the T120 up on the lift.

[Linked Image]

have to pull the motor and then see about drilling the head for dual plugs, look over the gearbox, check the cam timing, add a puke can for the breathers, re-weld the tank straps, remove the kick start, and reposition the foot controls.

That's a really nice lift, by the way. My Harbor Freight one is the only thing I've ever bought from them that was worth using, but with a Condor chock on the front, it does pretty well.

Those wide heavy ones like yours though, a Pro Lift or a Handy Lift, are really nice and really more appropriate for heavy bikes like my Guzzi or the big Triumph ...

When the HF lift starts leaking or bending, I'm for one of them .....

Lannis

#706968 - 09/01/17 7:21 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Whipped off the primary case and gave each clutch spring adjuster one full turn tighter, it had been slipping in 3rd on hills, particularly when cold.
Took it for a good thrash at the magic hour round loch creran, sorted, clutch is still acceptably light ,while i was in there I took a bit of slack out of the primary chain, judging by all the black bits in the oil its more tensioner wear than chain wear.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
#706979 - 09/01/17 8:25 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: Lannis]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by Lannis

That's a really nice lift, by the way. My Harbor Freight one is the only thing I've ever bought from them that was worth using, but with a Condor chock on the front, it does pretty well.

Those wide heavy ones like yours though, a Pro Lift or a Handy Lift, are really nice and really more appropriate for heavy bikes like my Guzzi or the big Triumph ...

When the HF lift starts leaking or bending, I'm for one of them .....

i bought it from that new hampshire guy--

https://www.nhproequip.com/motorcycle-lifts

it was horrifyingly expensive, but shipping was included. i'd been lying on my side on the concrete or in the dirt for years, and i found i was putting simple things off because i just didn't want to do that anymore. i have it hooked to my air compressor, and the whole thing goes up or down with a foot treadle. the only problem is that it's set up for longer machines than i have, so to use the rear-wheel trapdoor i have a piece of thinwall rectangular tubing ziptied to the front wheel chock to space the bikes back a few inches.

you can get this one with side extensions so you can use it for a rider lawn mower or garden tractor, too.

#707008 - 09/02/17 3:29 am Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: gavin eisler]  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
Whipped off the primary case and gave each clutch spring adjuster one full turn tighter, it had been slipping in 3rd on hills, particularly when cold.
Took it for a good thrash at the magic hour round loch creran, sorted, clutch is still acceptably light ,while i was in there I took a bit of slack out of the primary chain, judging by all the black bits in the oil its more tensioner wear than chain wear.

Funny, I'm having the same two problems, except the clutch slippage is not quite that bad - I have to get on it HARD in 3rd gear to get it to slip. But I think I'll tighten the springs when I'm in there, thanks for the reminder.

I'm getting some clatter from the primary case. When I tighten the chain up to where I think it should be, then it makes a whirring noise, and I have to back it off about 1/2 turn to get it to stop whirring. I think the tensioner is worn. I have a couple of other good ones, but I'm putting off the repair until after the weekend - group ride coming up tomorrow. I don't know if all A65s are this way, but on this one I have to dismount the stator to get the chain adjuster out.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#707017 - 09/02/17 10:32 am Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Hi Mark, my tensioner comes out without removing the stator once the adjuster is backed all the way out., maybe a bit of filing would sort yours out. Sounds like your chain is worn unevenly, you get that with them,. Also the tensioner blade black stuff is possibly worn through, it gets a hard time when the motor is on the overrun. Its really hard to judge chain tension through the inspection cap, much easier when the case is off, I check through the cap when the motor is hot , it will tighten as the cases heat up.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
#707075 - 09/02/17 9:42 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
Andy Higham Online content
BritBike Forum member
Andy Higham  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Bolton Lancs UK
I made a tacho drive nut for the B31.
A quick lathe job, a piece of 12mm hex bar faced drilled and tapped M8 x 1(to suit the power dynamo mag) then mounted it in chuck on rotary table attached to milling machine and milled a 4.5mm slot in t'other end

1955 BSA B31 400cc "Stargazer"
1962 Greeves 200cc "Blue Meanie"
1962/67 Greeves 350cc
1967 Greeves 360cc Challenger
1984 Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
Modified Nu-Trak GM500cc sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
#707796 - 09/09/17 4:53 am Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Didn't do anything to the bike today. But, I did add more tunes to the stick for my on-bike player. Gotta have enough music to make the ride to Barber next month.
Also cut some ear pads for the Bell. Even though full-face, the wind noise is terrible.
Sunday I had a fine ride out on Natchez Trace. A limited-access parkway with a 50mph speed limit, I didn't touch the brakes all day. laugh

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
#707869 - 09/09/17 11:37 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Went through the A10 and finishing up the "To Buy" list of things I need. Crimping pliers for bullets, crimping pliers for terminals. Selection of terminals and bullets. Ammeter, pilot bulb holder, instrument light holder, magneto leads, plug caps, Lucas reflector (rear fender).

Son Alec has the Norton at an old-bike get-together near Richmond today, I thought I would be at the beach so he took the bike for the week.

That's OK, though, because today was "finish up the garden" day. Picked the last of the tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, watermelon, and okra. Cut the gourds and set them out to dry for fall decorating. Pulled up all the stakes (12 steel fence poles, 30 long tomato/pepper stakes, and dozens of row markers), cleaned up the tomato ties, knocked down the watermelon hills. Ran the bush-hog over it all to chop the cornstalks and get it ready to turn under the old plants at the winter plowing.

Planning next year's garden - No beets, more potatoes, fewer zucchini, fewer tomatoes and peppers, same amount of corn, no green beans or cucumbers (we'll still have plenty of canned ones next year), same amount of black-eyed peas, same eggplant and okra, a few carrots and radishes, figure out why NONE of my spinach or lettuce germinated, and find a better way to kill vine-borers. I've got control of the Japanese beetles, aphids and stink-bugs, but the vine-borers get in amongst me every year and kill my watermelons and canteloupes .... Same amount of summer squash, canteloupes, and watermelons. No wild-flower patch this time, too many bugs besides pollinators come to visit. Probably will be about 2/3 of what I did this year .....

Lannis

#708306 - 09/13/17 9:52 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
did some work on the commando. i bought this bike a while ago, and it was expensive. i paid the money, and only as i'm working through it am i discovering that i didn't waste any money on it. it started as a chopper resurrection, and it's been carefully returned almost to bone stock, except for new premiers and a Boyer. this is a one-kick bike, even after sitting for a year, and some of the important stuff (the fragile pistons!) has already been done.

anyway, i've been riding it, and it seemed a bit lean on the mains, misfires that cleaned up if i rolled the throttle back onto the needles. might have been deposits in the jets, but the book specifies three possibilities for the mains: 180, 200, and 220. i had the 200s in there:

[Linked Image]

so i bought some 220s from MAP and put them in today to see what they would do. access on these puppies is restricted:

[Linked Image]

you have to take the airbox out to remove the inner bowl screw on the right Concentric (the jet block, or whatever it's called, would unscrew before the jet would come loose, so i had to drop the bowls). forty years ago leroy the norton guy at triumph of oklahoma city explained to me that when nortons were built, they hung the airbox on a wire and assembled the rest of the motorcycle around it. he was right:

[Linked Image]

there is like zero room to install the little boots in there without messing them up.

anyway, it's late today, but tomorrow i'll take it out and see whether it burbles. this norton is a wonderful bike, and handles so well i'm sort of ashamed of my triumphs, but it doesn't have the top end that the triumphs do. admittedly, they've been leaned on some, and the norton is bone stock.

Last edited by kevin roberts; 09/13/17 9:56 pm.

#708377 - 09/14/17 12:26 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
kommando Online content
kommando  Online Content

Scotland
they hung the airbox on a wire and assembled the rest of the motorcycle around it.

No, horn first wink

Now try and find it without sounding it off to tell you where it is.

You can get a narrower filter element, cut down the mesh width to side, shorten bolts and that will give you more room, it does not get any better with the black plastic airbox but no thinning options with that one.

https://www.rgmnorton.co.uk/buy/nar...skt=414a6b43-d812-4ad9-a7d4-944371e30e60

#708399 - 09/14/17 2:25 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
i wondered why the horn sounded so faint.

#708421 - 09/14/17 5:31 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Just riding the bikes today ... the Norton is still with my son and I took the Triumph to do a parts pickup.

I'm getting an old pressure-washer going, 3.8 HP Tecumseh engine ... the carburetor was completely shot, all the seals, seats, everything.

It's a float-type, butterfly-throttle carb, looked it up on Amazon, a complete brand-new carb is ....

$13.98.

Amazing.

Lannis

#708460 - 09/14/17 9:01 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
thunderbolt up on the lift to see what was broken so that the kickstart spring wouldn't work.

. . . and it was the kickstart spring, lol

[Linked Image]

how often is something that easy?

#708484 - 09/15/17 12:14 am Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: kevin roberts]  
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Running from demons in WNY
Today I bought this pile of junk 750 for 700 bucks...It actually runs quite nicely...It will be butchered into some sort of cafe racer instead of an old Brit bike...

[Linked Image]

650 Triumph modified production LSR record holder 133.1 MPH... Twin 650 engine Triumph LSR that goes sorta fast...
#708487 - 09/15/17 12:53 am Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l]  
Andrew Dunham Online content
BritBike Forum member
Andrew Dunham  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
I was able to get a few new parts on my recently picked up 69' Thunderbolt.

New Ignition Switch, foot peg rubbers, fork gaiters, front brake shoes.

Also found out that my broken dip/horn switch makes a lot of noise when the forks are turned back and forth. So much so that I ended up taking the battery out for some peace and quiet.

1968 BSA A50
1969 BSA 441 VS
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
#708590 - 09/15/17 9:35 pm Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: Hillbilly bike]  
BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

ohio, usa
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
[Linked Image]

^^^That is the spitting image of the 1982 kawasaki 750 twin my son bought this summer--his first bike. seat, carbs, sissy bars, the whole look. but his had a weird little clear fairing as well.

i remember 1981. carbs were awful, seat was confining. somebody took the buckhorns off yours and put low bars on instead.

and what's this with the new house? you have visible neighbors now?

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.222s Queries: 16 (0.048s) Memory: 1.0222 MB (Peak: 1.3869 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 11:12:30 UTC