BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
v8doog
v8doog
Montreal, Qc, Can.
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
27 registered members (79T140E), 130 guests, and 443 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Stew Dempsey, JoeBrown, Bart223, Duckster, IDG1
10174 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 102
reverb 89
Stuart 71
koan58 68
L.A.B. 54
Popular Topics(Views)
553,921 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics66,603
Posts645,484
Members10,174
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1972 Norton Commando Electrics/Ignition #705556
08/20/17 3:59 pm
08/20/17 3:59 pm
Penna
D
Dnaj11 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Dnaj11  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D
Penna
I've bringing to life a 72 Commando but the wiring looks kinda weird. With a battery at positive ground and get voltage on blue/brown at the ignition switch but weird readings on the switch with the key turned on, so I jumpered the switch with the key off and I get hot coils and spark at the plug -good sign. I get nothing much elsewhere in any key position. Looking at the wiring harness, (and I have seen the diagram) I see a lot that looks changed with open connectors. I've circled them in the below photos. Looks to me like someone changed the grounds and some other connectors. Can anyone make sense of this based on plug location and colors?

[img]http://goo.gl/photos/y2RwY1F8ay9sgsPP8[/img]
[img]http://goo.gl/photos/AzCTrJXi31Ys35Qk8[/img]
[img]http://goo.gl/photos/S1k8WLsomeYs9DSQ6[/img]

Last edited by Dnaj11; 08/20/17 4:02 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 1972 Norton Commando Electrics/Ignition [Re: Dnaj11] #705564
08/20/17 5:00 pm
08/20/17 5:00 pm
Norfolk, UK
L.A.B. Offline
BritBike Forum member
L.A.B.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Norfolk, UK
Originally Posted by Dnaj11
I've bringing to life a 72 Commando but the wiring looks kinda weird. With a battery at positive ground and get voltage on blue/brown at the ignition switch but weird readings on the switch with the key turned on, so I jumpered the switch with the key off and I get hot coils and spark at the plug -good sign.

The ignition switch can become corroded inside. It can be dismantled and cleaned (or just replace it?).

I get nothing much elsewhere in any key position. Looking at the wiring harness, (and I have seen the diagram) I see a lot that looks changed with open connectors. I've circled them in the below photos. Looks to me like someone changed the grounds and some other connectors. Can anyone make sense of this based on plug location and colors?

There will also be some unused wires in the standard harness.
Unfortunately, the photos are too blurred and the wires too dirty to tell much as the colours don't stand out except for the green, so perhaps you could say what the colours are? Nevertheless I will have a go, but some more detailed information would be useful.

1st. photo
The 'green' on the right could be the flasher relay light green/brown that goes to one of the handlebar switch clusters (could be either the left or the right)? The rest I can't tell as I can't identify what colour they are. Note the large rubber connector block in that photo at the right hand side should definitely be replaced.

2nd. photo
A 'green' and other wires? Possibly the assimilator wires if the green is actually green/yellow?

3rd. photo
One looks as if it could be a white/purple? If it is, then it's an unused wire. If the other happens to be a white/red then that is also an unused wire.

There seems to be an extra emergency starting capacitor.

Last edited by L.A.B.; 08/20/17 5:08 pm.
Re: 1972 Norton Commando Electrics/Ignition [Re: Dnaj11] #705565
08/20/17 5:02 pm
08/20/17 5:02 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi,

72 Commando
battery at positive ground and get voltage on blue/brown at the ignition switch but weird readings on the switch with the key turned on,

Standard 4-key-position switch? Male spade terminals, three doubles and a single? Numbers 1-4 stamped in the brown terminal backing beside each terminal?

If all of that, and the wires on the correct terminals according to the diagram (1 - Brown/Blue, 2 - White, 3 - Brown/Green), "weird readings" sometimes just because the internal contacts are corroded. It's possible to (carefully) prise the brown base out of the metal body, clean and lube the contacts, reassemble and it all works properly again. bigt

jumpered the switch with the key off and I get hot coils and spark at the plug -good sign. I get nothing much elsewhere in any key position.

You "jumpered" Brown/Blue to White? As well as "hot coils and spark at the plug", things like turn signals, brake light, horn, headlamp flash should all work - turn signal relay and everything else supplied by White wires.

If you "jumper" Brown/Blue to Brown/Green, you should see pilot, tail, speedo. 'n' tacho. lights; if you twist the headlamp on/off switch on the headlamp shell, you should get main or dip depending on the handlebar paddle switch setting.

I see a lot that looks changed with open connectors. I've circled them in the below photos.

Pending someone along who sees the colours better than I do, could you also tell us the wire colours in each picture? Pictures don't always show both colours on a wire if there's more than one, colours have faded and/or got dirty in 45 years, different computer monitors render colours differently (particularly faded and/or dirty ones ...).

Hth.

Regards,

Re: 1972 Norton Commando Electrics/Ignition [Re: Stuart] #705567
08/20/17 5:27 pm
Norfolk, UK
L.A.B. Offline
BritBike Forum member
L.A.B.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Norfolk, UK
Originally Posted by Stuart
Standard 4-key-position switch? Male spade terminals, three doubles and a single? Numbers 1-4 stamped in the brown terminal backing beside each terminal?

If all of that, and the wires on the correct terminals according to the diagram (1 - Brown/Blue, 2 - White, 3 - Brown/Green)

That would be for a '71 Commando with the 3 terminal switch.

A 72 Commando is more likely to have the 4 terminal switch so has an additional blue/yellow wire to T4.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by L.A.B.; 08/20/17 5:32 pm.
Re: 1972 Norton Commando Electrics/Ignition [Re: Stuart] #705568
Penna
D
Dnaj11 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Dnaj11  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
D
Penna
That's a help. Thanks. Here's more.

Photo one: right side circled area, open wires colors: three wires with male round bullets - green+purple, brown+black, brown+maybe something; left hand circle: two white+red strip with female spades

Photo two: I'm guessing its the other end of the above three colors wrapped in electrical tape

Photo three: white+red and white+purple, also with female spades

Re: 1972 Norton Commando Electrics/Ignition [Re: Dnaj11] #705572
08/20/17 5:59 pm
08/20/17 5:59 pm
Norfolk, UK
L.A.B. Offline
BritBike Forum member
L.A.B.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Norfolk, UK
Photo one: right side circled area, open wires colors: three wires with male round bullets - green+purple, brown+black, brown+maybe something;

Commando Interpol (police/military) model wires, so unused.

left hand circle: two white+red strip with female spades

Unused.

Photo two: I'm guessing its the other end of the above three colors wrapped in electrical tape

Same as first answer.

Photo three: white+red and white+purple, also with female spades

Unused.

You should also find a white/red connected to one of the switch clusters. Although that white/red wire basically goes nowhere and the pushbutton has no standard function the white/red will become live/hot when the button is pressed so make sure the connector is insulated.

Last edited by L.A.B.; 08/20/17 6:08 pm.
Re: 1972 Norton Commando Electrics/Ignition [Re: Dnaj11] #705580
08/20/17 8:32 pm
08/20/17 8:32 pm
Annapolis, MD
Dennis B, R.I.P. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dennis B, R.I.P.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Annapolis, MD
On a 72 you should have the 4 position switch
all the way to the left (counter clockwise) is the park position
pilot lamp on and key can be removed
next position to the right is the OFF position, nothing on, key can be removed
next position to the right is the Daytime ON position, key can not be removed
next and last is night time ON position
Taillight on, key can't be removed
you should have spark in either ON positions
HTH
Cheers
Dennis B

Member # 182
'73 750 Commando
'72 Combat Commando
'71 Triumph Blazer
'69 Victors
'68 Starfire
'51 Royal Enfield 250 'S'

Moderated by  Dave Comeau 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership