BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
bluzdoctor
bluzdoctor
west virginia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
20 registered members (Allan Gill), 227 guests, and 447 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dan1818, Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks
10419 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 85
Rohan 77
Triless 70
reverb 68
Popular Topics(Views)
713,669 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,327
Posts665,188
Members10,419
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Crazy idea for frame modification... #702797
07/26/17 12:38 am
07/26/17 12:38 am
SW Virginia
B
Bryan Hogan Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bryan Hogan  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B

SW Virginia
So I have decided to turn the frame and T120C engine I gut into a proper Scrambler. Why? Well my wife has always wanted one. One of the new ones at least, though she loves classic bikes. But the problem is she is quite short. And the seat height of a stock Triumph is just too much.

So my thought...what if I cut the rear section of the frame and dropped just the rails that the seat sits on by an inch or two.

What it would screw up.

1. I would have to make a custom seat pan and seat to fit the frame and close the newfound gap between the tank and seat. I am thinking of a solo seat with a rack over the cut down fender. I will need to give the appearance of a more flat look from tank to rack despite the lowered seat.

2. I would have to make a new oil tank and side cover as well as move some miscellaneous stuff around a bit.

3. And this is the part that worries me. I am not sure there is enough clearance between the seat and the tire. As I don't have a good set of wheels just yet it is hard for me check this.

See, it's simple. So what do you think? Throw out any thoughts from what I am not thinking about to why I am an idiot.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Crazy idea for frame modification... [Re: Bryan Hogan] #702800
07/26/17 1:02 am
07/26/17 1:02 am
Bishop, Calif.
D
desco Online content
BritBike Forum member
desco  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
D

Bishop, Calif.
Buy something that fits her. Save the frame and engine for someone who wants/needs it. Don't know if you've noticed, but they ain't making this stuff anymore.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
Re: Crazy idea for frame modification... [Re: desco] #702802
07/26/17 1:28 am
07/26/17 1:28 am
SW Virginia
B
Bryan Hogan Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bryan Hogan  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B

SW Virginia
Non-matching frame and motor. As well, I would only be changing the rear subframe which is easily replaced by the several on eBay as we speak. Actually I considered buying one of those and using it.

I would never mess with a candidate for a good restoration. But this is a frame and engine only and not even matching. I will have to piece it all together. I would rather see a bike like this ridden and loved than locked away in a garage sitting in boxes which is what really happens.

It's easy for us to talk about bikes that fit, but a petite 5'2" woman doesn't have that luxury. She loves bikes, I love bikes, so I will build her a cool bike she can ride.

Last edited by Bryan Hogan; 07/26/17 1:29 am.
Re: Crazy idea for frame modification... [Re: Bryan Hogan] #702806
07/26/17 1:51 am
07/26/17 1:51 am
Great Southern Land
tridentt150v Offline
BritBike Forum member
tridentt150v  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Great Southern Land
Probably just as easy to use a bolt on plunger and sprung hub, or a trike, but not in a scrambler. I did try doing what you are thinking of a few years back, made the frame and tank etc bolted it all up, but the real issue isn't just the frame height, the saddle width is also a challenge for small framed shorter people. From memory I ended up with a 2 1/2" drop in the frame and it wasn't enough. You can lower the frame but the saddle width still stops them having control of the bike.

Re: Crazy idea for frame modification... [Re: tridentt150v] #702809
07/26/17 1:56 am
07/26/17 1:56 am
SW Virginia
B
Bryan Hogan Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Bryan Hogan  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
B

SW Virginia
Hmmm....the plunger is a good idea. The Scrambler is more about looks than off road performance. She loves the high pipes and aggressive tires. What can I say, I married a good woman. Her current love is a Ural, but she rides all kinds. A trike would never pass muster with her though.

Re: Crazy idea for frame modification... [Re: Bryan Hogan] #702811
07/26/17 2:10 am
07/26/17 2:10 am
South cone
R
reverb Offline
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Offline
BritBike Forum member
R

South cone
...hi, I did it but I cannot post pictures due to that photobucket crap. However, mine is not for a scrambler is more like a street tracker.

-I think that that height is about normal or a bit less than common for a woman; unless some Nordic or middle African ones; so why not change the rear shocks (the smaller are 10 inches), low the forks; use 17 wheels with low profiles (not so scrambler), homemade handlebar to fit her arms and a thinner seat. Just that. We here ride modified British bikes and whatever shorty can ride it pretty good.

-Other option is to use and older model (pre units), many are not so tall.

Re: Crazy idea for frame modification... [Re: Bryan Hogan] #705256
08/16/17 11:20 pm
08/16/17 11:20 pm
Vermont
Jon W. Whitley Online content

BritBike Forum member
Jon W. Whitley  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Vermont
Found this rear frame section on eBay which would be perfect for what you want to do and you don't have to ruin a completely good rear frame section. :bigt

http://www.eBay.com/itm/Triumph-Rear-Frame-Section-650cc-T120-TR6-Late-60s-Modified-Chopper-96/222005230436?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project

Re: Crazy idea for frame modification... [Re: Bryan Hogan] #705283
08/17/17 7:57 am
08/17/17 7:57 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Scotland
Hi Bryan,

Originally Posted by Bryan Hogan
not sure there is enough clearance between the seat and the tire.

Originally Posted by Bryan Hogan
petite 5'2" woman
build her a cool bike

Clearance between rear tyre and fender isn't great as standard so ime quickly becomes a problem if you start changing things. frown

Years ago, I built a C-range (unit 350 and 500) twin for my then-girlfiend and Mate O'Mine built a Rocket 3 for his missus, both similarly-afflicted with Duck's Disease (bum too close to the ground grin ); we both used 18" wheels front 'n' back with 90/90x18 and 100/90x18 tyres - these are skinnier overall than the 3.25x19 and 4.00x18 front 'n' rear common on US variants and have less section height - and shortened rear shocks. C-range did have 17" wheels too but the modern tyre choice is dire. frown

If you use '71-on forks (use a T150 bottom yoke on a Triumph 'dry' frame), you can then use T160 damper rods (shorter as standard) to lower the front end easily. Standard front fenders leave unsightly 'daylight' between front tyre and fender, frown both Mate O'Mine and I used standard-looking but aftermarket fenders mounted closer to the tyre; Scrambler-style, you could move it further away?

I appreciate you have the 650 engine and frame sitting in front of you; nevertheless, the more-compact height and length of both C-range frame 'n' engine might be a better starting point for a bike for your missus's dimensions? smile

Hth.

Regards,

Re: Crazy idea for frame modification... [Re: Bryan Hogan] #705288
08/17/17 11:31 am
08/17/17 11:31 am
North Georgia, USA
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Offline
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
You'll bend the rear frame section on the first jump or other incident that bottoms the rear shocks. It's not a coincidence that the 2 frame tubes on a stock frame come together at the top shock mount. The upper tube is in compression, while the angled tube section is in tension.

When the upper tube is moved away from the top shock mount the forces compressing the shock will bend the frame. Without the upper tube, there is simply nothing there to absorb the load, so the forces turn into a "bending moment".

Good luck.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership