BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
sawtooth
sawtooth
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
204 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,625 guests, and 596 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Miguel PadrĂ£o, John Ross, slidezone, jon p fudge, JeffL
9996 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 135
Lannis 122
Stuart 110
koan58 88
Popular Topics(Views)
455,118 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,479
Posts632,081
Members9,994
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#704740 - 08/12/17 2:24 pm Thunderbolt Electric...?  
Kent Shaun Online content
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
Suppose I SHOULD ask on the BSA board bit, but I rarely venture away from the Pub... wink

As you might've read, my A65 has been a bugger to start lately, and YES it was dirty points, well at least I think so. I got it to fire up and it runs sweetly, so that'll do me for now. But then I got me to thinking, which is always a bad thing... frown

Should I, or should I not, fit a Pazon Electronic ignition system, had me one of them buggers in my first BSA, me B40. And MAN, what a difference, also got me an electronic system in the Guzzi. Nice and easy to start, and runs sweetly... bigt

Just can't see me mucking about too much with points, so if I can make it easy that's what I'll do, BUT, and that's a big but you'll notice. Am I wasting time and beer vouchers... whistle

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#704746 - 08/12/17 2:43 pm Re: Thunderbolt Electric...? [Re: Kent Shaun]  
wadeschields Offline
BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline
BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
I have both and honestly the points bikes run just as good and any of them. Only once did I have to fuss with the points on the triumph when they got loose and twice with the points on the 51 when the mag got wet hauling the bike on a trailer in a storm. Fired right up after I used an emory board on the contact surface.

That said I never do anything to the boyers.... Just have to worry about having a solid 12 volts and hope nothing breaks on the road as I couldnt fix a Boyer with a hammer or a file smirk

12 volt issue probably void now with the new technology units though

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
#704776 - 08/12/17 5:22 pm Re: Thunderbolt Electric...? [Re: Kent Shaun]  
AngloBike Online content
BritBike Forum member
AngloBike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

UK Berks
I'd shove in a pazon on any bike that I had points issues with

#704787 - 08/12/17 6:14 pm Re: Thunderbolt Electric...? [Re: Kent Shaun]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
A10 and M21 are magneto bikes, they have points, and they'll keep points. One set of points in a magneto is a good solid ignition system.

The Firebird, Norton, and Guzzi SP all have EIs - Boyers in the Firebird and SP, Pazon in the Norton. All of them work good, all the bikes seem to run a little smoother with them because both cylinders can be right on time with no compromises for gap and dwell to get the timing right.

If points started annoying me, I'd go ahead and upgrade.

Lannis

America's great! Only place in the world where the poor and oppressed check on their Food Stamp balance with an $800 smartphone ... !
#704788 - 08/12/17 6:16 pm Re: Thunderbolt Electric...? [Re: wadeschields]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Originally Posted by wadeschields

12 volt issue probably void now with the new technology units though

Yep, the Pazon's good down to about 8v. By the time you're there, you're almost walking anyhow, no matter what your ignition ... !

Lannis

America's great! Only place in the world where the poor and oppressed check on their Food Stamp balance with an $800 smartphone ... !
#704801 - 08/12/17 6:53 pm Re: Thunderbolt Electric...? [Re: Kent Shaun]  
Kev. Online sick
BritBike Forum member
Kev.  Online Sick
BritBike Forum member

Royal Berkshire.
I would fit a Dyna DBR-1, I have one fitted to the Guzzi, easy to fit, and you get to keep all the original ignition in place, and if the worst should happen out on the road, you just swap one wire over, and you are back on points again, so you have every chance of getting home, even on a BSA.

That's my thoughts on the subject, but then no one ever listens to what I have to say.

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1950 Vincent Comet
1952 Norton Special
1963 BSA Super Rocket
1970 BSA A65 Lightning
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado x2
2009 Triumph Bonneville (now sold)

#704814 - 08/12/17 8:17 pm Re: Thunderbolt Electric...? [Re: Kent Shaun]  
tbird649 Online content
BritBike Forum member
tbird649  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Sunny Sussex, UK
Ive got a Pazon on one Triumph, Boyer on the other. Boyer one is my off road bike, has no battery, uses Boyer powerbox. On the Thunderbird, I have a sealed Hayter lawnmower battery, also a modern version of Lucas blue capacitor, I have had main power wire to Ammeter break, bike still runs without battery, although lights must be switched off to start, and doesnt like to tickover slow with 55/60 H4 headlight, although runs fine above tickover to get you home. Fitting EI is the best improvement I have made to both bikes, also to Mrs Tbirds 400/4

#704874 - 08/13/17 3:30 pm Re: Thunderbolt Electric...? [Re: Kent Shaun]  
Rusty Goose Offline
BritBike Forum member
Rusty Goose  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Sacramento California
A tale of two A65's... I put a Sparx e.i. on my '66 A65 and once it was timed and dialed in (15 min) I did not do a thing to change it until I sold years later. During that time I found my '67 A65, and it was in really decent original condition. I decided to leave the points and the rest all original. I spent an inordinate amount of time setting up a degree wheel and pointer so I could strobe each cylinder and get the optimum spark at a perfect 180 degree. One Saturday down... That bike then started soooo much easier and ran much smoother, less vibration than the '66. The offset is I give up a Sat. every spring fiddling with it, making it perfect, changing oil/filter, adjusting primary and all the rest of the spring dance.

In the end, the e.i. got sold, kept the points. The e.i. went south on the new owner later on, and now sits on display in a shop.

I feel you can "dial in" points better. When they are in good nick, all sorted properly, I feel they are better. BUT, you have to do all that work periodically to get the slightest (maybe imaginary) edge over the e.i. Or just spend the cash, drop in the new fangled computer and forget about it. More time to think about the route to the next pub.

1967 A65 Lightning
1967 Triumph T20 Mountain Cub
1967 Moto Guzzi V7
1969 B44 Victor Special
1966? Royal Enfield Interceptor
#704889 - 08/13/17 4:58 pm Re: Thunderbolt Electric...? [Re: Kent Shaun]  
Don Leaming Online content
BritBike Forum member
Don Leaming  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Ontario Canada
Ran a Boyer for 20 years in the 1970 Interceptor. Never touched the timing again! Never needed anything ever.
I am going to put one in the Triumph.
The 65 Interceptor has a freshly rebuilt mag so I am stuck with points in that bike.
Don

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
#704896 - 08/13/17 5:47 pm Re: Thunderbolt Electric...? [Re: Kent Shaun]  
Adam M. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Adam M.  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Mississauga, Ontario.
My 70 Thunderbolt has an old analog Boyer - yes the one which needs 12V to work.
I suspect its around 30 years old, I had to cut and redo all the old wires 10 years ago, they were stiff and broken.
For next 10 years I didn't have a problem with it other than connecting wires near the pick up plate lost contact once.
I disconnected them, reconnected and this was it.
Agree with Lannis here, only place for point ignition is one cylinder magneto bikes.

#704915 - 08/13/17 9:20 pm Re: Thunderbolt Electric...? [Re: Kent Shaun]  
Andy Lorenz Offline
Andy Lorenz  Offline

Stafford, UK
Boyer, the older analogue ones need 12V or they retard the ignition, I keep it as a spare.
I have the mew Mk5 version - no problems.

Thrash, Bang, Re-Build...

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.135s Queries: 15 (0.006s) Memory: 0.8725 MB (Peak: 1.0839 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-12-18 05:14:00 UTC