BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Bruce Martin
Bruce Martin
New Brunswick, Canada.
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
17 registered members (BeezaBryan), 138 guests, and 419 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10, Tacet, Joe Bruney
10416 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 83
Rohan 78
Triless 77
reverb 74
Stuart 70
Popular Topics(Views)
706,491 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,280
Posts664,701
Members10,416
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
TR6C HEADLIGHT SWITHCH #704151
08/06/17 7:41 pm
08/06/17 7:41 pm
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
W
Waterloo John Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Waterloo John  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
W

I just purchased a 1968 TR6C Trophy and have a question about lights. In my past bikes, BSA and Triumphs, there was always a light switch on the headlight bucket. On this bike, the lights go on as soon as you turn the ignition on. It could be that the previous owner replaced the headlight and because there was no hole, wired the lights direct to the ignition switch, but I don't know. The other strange thing is the fork "ears" that the headlight mounts to. These are chrome, but the actual ears are black and there is a rubber "gasket" between the ears and the chrome cover. Is this an after market thing?
Regards
John

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: TR6C HEADLIGHT SWITHCH [Re: Waterloo John] #704187
08/07/17 3:07 am
08/07/17 3:07 am
Santa Barbara, California
KC in S.B. Offline

BritBike Forum member
KC in S.B.  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Santa Barbara, California
Hi John, Yep, the previous Guy did it. There should be a switch. Also, just my opinion here, the OEM Lucas switch is overly complex inside, and I have had bad luck with them lasting. I started using parts house "paddle" style switches, and they look almost factory, are less cost, and last. be sure to get something rated maybe 5 amps. The headlight ears are from a later model bike. I had a set that came on a '71 500 Triumph fork I bought. The fork was used on my '70 TR6C, but didn't use the ears. If I recall, the EAR part bolts on to the upright. The rubber likely saves the bulbs, I'd say use them unless you have others you like better.

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 08/07/17 3:10 am.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
Oops,.. add 1 Sporty
Re: TR6C HEADLIGHT SWITHCH [Re: KC in S.B.] #704270
08/08/17 12:32 am
08/08/17 12:32 am
W
Waterloo John Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Waterloo John  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
W

Thanks for your reply. I figured the same. The previous owner did some pretty funky rewiring and the elimination of the switch may be due to Ontario laws which require headlights to be on at all times. One thing about having the lights wired as soon as the ignition is on, is that you cannot leave the lights on when shutting the bike off during the day. However, the lights do not work and when testing, I have no power to the wires, so maybe the headlight draw burned something out. Regarding the fork ears, yes the ears bolt on, however, I don't like the look ... it does look like a later model style.
Regards
John

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership