BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
blackhallr
blackhallr
north east england
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
39 registered members (Bart223), 239 guests, and 420 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
FireGuyKC, spuggy, Vinny Cotroneo, KeithM, Mridul Handa
10285 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 97
Lannis 62
Popular Topics(Views)
634,097 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,352
Posts653,918
Members10,285
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
electronic tacho #703654
08/02/17 2:43 am
08/02/17 2:43 am
south australia
A
Auzray Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Auzray  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
A
south australia
HI all
I am interested in fitting A Speedhut legacy tacho to my 59 super rocket. These from the makers say they can be fitted to Most gasoline engines and do not require a sender, and can hook up to a coil
However can they pick up the signal from the HT lead on the twin , they do say not to splice onto the HT lead as will damage the tacho. But I have seen reference on cheaper tachos that you can wrap a signal /pulse wire around a HT lead to get a reasonably accurate signal to the tacho,
Anybody done this ?, if so what brand was used and how did it work? The Speedhut tacho is small enough to possibly fit in a Smith case, and can have the Bezel screwed off to remove needle and overlay with a matching dial. :)Yes I know its not original but I have the wrong oil pump and don't have the correct tacho which I believe is a reverse 3/1 I also don't want to run a cable off the magneto, as I will have to drill through cover and tap ,plus change mag drive etc
I would appreciate any info from anybody that has had a go at fitting any electronic tacho to there magneto bikes
thanks Ray

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: electronic tacho [Re: Auzray] #703656
08/02/17 3:12 am
08/02/17 3:12 am
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Owego, NY, USA
I purchased a Speedhut tach for my A65. It's no longer working (I'll get to that), but it does not pick up from the HT lead, it connects to the primary (12V) coil. I'm not sure how this would work with a mag. Also, it needs 12 volts for power - are not A10s 6-volt?

I had two problems with this gauge, one of which was fixable and one not. When wired through the keyswitch, it was picking up noise from the ignition circuit on the power wire and giving erratic readings, so I had to run dedicated power wires to the battery (switched and fused, of course). The other problem is that the gauge is apparently very sensitive to voltage spikes and dips, which render the gauge unusable. The first time this happened, I returned the gauge and the Speedhut techs "reprogrammed" the guage and supposedly installed a chip to protect against voltage spikes. The second time it happened, I emailed Speedhut, and stated that I knew it was out of warranty and that I would pay for another repair if it's repairable. They did not respond to my email.

These gauges are not specifically made for motorcycles and apparently expect the larger battery and better regulated charging system of an automobile (or a late model motorcycle). I'm sure Smith's have taken this into consideration, but they're too pricey for my blood, so I'm now looking at GPS speedometers, which are starting to become available in analog-looking (round with a needle) displays.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership