BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
The Northwoods... Michigan
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
216 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,639 guests, and 588 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 189
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,215 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,293
Posts632,504
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#660667 - 07/14/16 7:40 pm A65 Timing gears and valves  
FLYNN54 Offline
BritBike Forum member
FLYNN54  Offline
BritBike Forum member

MOTHERWELL NORTH LANARKSHIRE S...
I had a look through the forum and cannot find a response to this specific question so..
Can anyone confirm please that the following is correct regarding checking the valve/gear timing on the A65. I took the timing cover off today to fix an oil leak and the usual happened – the idler timing gear came away with the cover. Before I put the said idler timing gear back in the right way around - the following question came up. Is this the correct sequence to set the timing gears?
The engine is set at TDC. Tappets set to .15”. Plugs out, timing disc fixed to drive side rotor. Timing side -The crank end gear dot is then lined up with the idle gear’s right hand side timing mark and the left hand side mark ( on the idler gear)is positioned so it will mesh (turning anti –clockwise)with the cam timing gear’s single timing mark as it turns ( clockwise). Idler mark at approx. 10o’clock and cam gear mark at 2 o’clock. The left hand side inlet and exhaust tappet arms are just starting to drop and the valves starting to open inside the head. Push rod ends rising. Right hand tappets arms rocking slightly
When the crank gear is turned 360 degrees and its mark lined up with one of the two timing marks on the idler gear, the cam timing gear’s single mark (dot) is then facing away to the left on the gear at approx. 8 o’clock position. The right hand set of tappet arms are then dropping, valves opening inside head and push rod ends rising. Left hand tappet arms rocking slightly.
Basically then -which set of marks controls which set ( side) of valves ?
Is this sequence correct? Is there something I have missed? The timing gears require a bit of “jiggling” getting them to mesh. Bike is 71 reg A65L fitted with Pazon ignition.
Footnote. I am going to try Loctite anaerobic sealant on the inner timing case faces and oil pipe union as I am disappointed with the “new gasket” I fitted last time it was apart (kick start ratchet sticking – still is on and off). Second leak from “new stuff” (SRM sump filter gaskets).
Sorry about the long question. The two manuals I have are vague to say the least (one shows the gears upside down!!) I don’t want to mistime the gears.
Best regards and thanks in advance ( ?) from John.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#660678 - 07/14/16 8:49 pm Re: A65 Timing gears and valves [Re: FLYNN54]  
Allan Gill Offline
Allan Gill  Offline

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
I always use the lobe centre figure. With stock cam the motor should be at 98.5° ATDC when the inlet cam is at full lift.

beerchug
#660679 - 07/14/16 8:55 pm Re: A65 Timing gears and valves [Re: FLYNN54]  
B31 Ally Offline
BritBike Forum member
B31 Ally  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Northern Ireland
John, I have no experience of an A65 whatsoever but here is a ball park explanation on valve timing which will work on 99% of four stroke engines. If your not a mechanic then you may not grasp what im saying, the fact your asking about valve timing I would assume your not a mechanic but that's not a bad thing, the fact your asking means you know valves have to be timed, a lot of people don't even know that simple fact and end up with a piston hitting an open valve with the inevitable result of a cylinder head having to be removed to fix the bent valves.

Set number 1 cylinder at TDC and install the valve timing gears for that cylinder that leaves the two valves in the open position at the same time, that means as you have the piston at TDC the exhaust valve is closing and the inlet valve is opening. This is what is known as the valves rocking because both of them are moving at the same time. Give the engine one complete turn and install the ignition timing wheel so the engine fires at around TDC or ever so slightly before TDC. Both valves are now closed as the engine is on the compression stroke and about to fire. Your engine will run at this stage but it will need tweaked.

I have timed hundreds of engines like this for people to get them running, my claim to fame back in the 80's was timing a Jaguar V12 engine this way for a guy who knew nothing about timing an engine and worked at it for nearly a week and couldn't get it running, after I was at it for a few minutes, first turn of the key and away it went! It doesn't matter if it is a single cylinder four stroke lawnmower engine or a V 12, the principal is exactly the same on a cylinder, the valves must be rocking with the piston at TDC and the same cylinder firing at the next complete revolution of the crank at TDC.
Hope this helps.

#660685 - 07/14/16 10:56 pm Re: A65 Timing gears and valves [Re: FLYNN54]  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
Fortunately, on an A65 it's simple. From where the timing marks on the idler pinion and crank pinion align, you should only have to rotate the engine a couple of teeth to align the opposite mark on the idler pinion and the mark on the camshaft pinion. From recollection, I guess this would be the 8:00 and 4:00 scenario. Frankly, I never knew there was any other way that the marks could line up. The marks on the idler pinion are 180 degrees out, so it makes no difference which way the idler pinion goes in. Rotating the crank 360 degrees does nothing; the crank and pistons position is identical on each revolution. And there's only one mark on the camshaft pinion, so...

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#660712 - 07/15/16 8:13 am Re: A65 Timing gears and valves [Re: FLYNN54]  
Mike Stillwell Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Stillwell  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Pennsylvania USA
Mark Z, I did that with mine and wound up with a valve hitting the piston. Luckily I was slowly turning it by hand and didn't bend anything.

The marks on my motor apparently don't mean anything. frown

I set the engine at the given spec for intake opening @.015"
Set the cam so the intake valve is open .015" (Dial indicator on pushrod)
The idler gear slipped right in.
I then turned the engine over and checked the rest of the valve events against the spec for my cam.

#660725 - 07/15/16 9:16 am Re: A65 Timing gears and valves [Re: FLYNN54]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
There have been some camshafts made with the pinion key way cut in the wrong place. This messes up the factory markings.

If the head is on its safest to check with just one push rod installed, less chance of piston clash, fit a degree wheel ( establishing TDC first, then onto valve timing), set the valve lash at 15 thou then time to book figures, now fit the other push rods and check timings of all valves, within a degree or two of book figures all round means you are good to go.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
#660740 - 07/15/16 12:21 pm Re: A65 Timing gears and valves [Re: gavin eisler]  
Mike Stillwell Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Stillwell  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Pennsylvania USA
Originally Posted By gavin eisler
There have been some camshafts made with the pinion key way cut in the wrong place. This messes up the factory markings.

If the head is on its safest to check with just one push rod installed, less chance of piston clash, fit a degree wheel ( establishing TDC first, then onto valve timing), set the valve lash at 15 thou then time to book figures, now fit the other push rods and check timings of all valves, within a degree or two of book figures all round means you are good to go.

That's the problem I had.
I had the head on but no rockers installed
With the dial indicator in the pushrod I turned the cam until it moved .015" then turned the crank to 51 degrees BTDC and slipped the idler gear in

This worked out well for me, hope it helps.

#660911 - 07/17/16 12:04 am Re: A65 Timing gears and valves [Re: gavin eisler]  
Mark Z Online content
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
Originally Posted By gavin eisler

I guess this is another one of those areas where I've always been extremely lucky.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
#661283 - 07/19/16 5:10 pm Re: A65 Timing gears and valves [Re: Mark Z]  
FLYNN54 Offline
BritBike Forum member
FLYNN54  Offline
BritBike Forum member

MOTHERWELL NORTH LANARKSHIRE S...
Update - Success !!
Many thanks to you all for your assistance and suggestions. As suggested I downloaded a timing wheel and timed the valves to the figures given in the manual. I used the end of a Vernier gauge to find TDC and cross referenced TDC and the ignition point on the rotor mark (number 2)and crank plug. The pazon instructions are a little vague in giving the exact degrees of advance/retard so I set the “points”plate to 5 degrees. I will strobe time the engine later after a double check over. As Frankenstein would say "it lives" - as the bike proceeded to walk (on its stand) down the drive on a racing tick over. Cue – huge grin. Thank you all again. Regards from John.

#703193 - 07/29/17 12:20 am Re: A65 Timing gears and valves [Re: FLYNN54]  
Dana_twin Online confused
BritBike Forum member
Dana_twin  Online Confused
BritBike Forum member

Oregon
Hello reviving this old thread I have a question pls see pic, the intake valve lobe for #1 cylinder ie the LH cylinder is the lobe shown on the far right of the pic attached here, correct? regards

[Linked Image]

#703198 - 07/29/17 12:29 am Re: A65 Timing gears and valves [Re: FLYNN54]  
NickL Online content
BritBike Forum member
NickL  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Aus
correct

#703201 - 07/29/17 12:45 am Re: A65 Timing gears and valves [Re: FLYNN54]  
Dana_twin Online confused
BritBike Forum member
Dana_twin  Online Confused
BritBike Forum member

Oregon
tah nickL

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 1.196s Queries: 15 (0.066s) Memory: 0.8828 MB (Peak: 1.0932 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 22:21:00 UTC