BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
debby
debby
Boulder, CO
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
16 registered members (Boomer), 180 guests, and 73 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
locobeta, Walt, DennisMartin, Dwight V, urbanghost
10387 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 98
Triless 88
reverb 82
Rohan 80
Mori55 79
Stuart 77
DavidP 72
btour 66
Popular Topics(Views)
690,412 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,045
Posts662,075
Members10,387
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Using Bulletin 324 Components on 1967 TR6? #701916
07/16/17 10:57 am
07/16/17 10:57 am
Kenya
P
Peter Gee Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Peter Gee  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
P

Kenya
Am wondering if the entire system described in Triumph Service Bulletin 324 for the 69/70 push rod tubes with internal O ring, different tappet blocks, "wedding bands" etc cannot simply be retrofitted to a 66 model TR6?T120 Engine DU 33XXX

My block is an E6305 (I believe this is identical to E6304) this seems correct for the swap. I would need new tappet blocks E9252/3 and I already have t a set of tubes E9349and "wedding bands" in my stock.

I realise my head E3925 (stamped 67 date) would probably have a slightly different seat for the later E9349 tubes which take an top O ring in place of the white silicone square section ring, but IMO O rings under compression generally seal perfectly against a flat surface. The height of the later pushrod tube and earlier E600 (which is correct for 66/67) from bottom to the top lip is almost identical, such that jiggling with various thicknesses of top O ring and bottom silicone square section seal would get me to my magic 0.040" 'crush' before tightening.

Thoughts welcome. Thanks guys.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Using Bulletin 324 Components on 1967 TR6? [Re: Peter Gee] #701971
07/16/17 10:59 pm
07/16/17 10:59 pm
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Scotland
Hi Peter,

Originally Posted by Peter Gee
Am wondering if the entire system described in Triumph Service Bulletin 324
cannot simply be retrofitted to a 66 model TR6?

Given enough time and money, anything can be made to fit anything.

But why would you want to? confused crazy The pre-'69 bits work as well/badly as any of the collections Meriden devised; the reason for Service Bulletin 324 was the original '69 collection turned out to be a balls-up; the triples had the pre-'69 prt sealing parts throughout the range's life; tG no-one thought it was a good idea to inflict the '69-on collection or modifications on them. bigt

Hth,

Regards,

Re: Using Bulletin 324 Components on 1967 TR6? [Re: Peter Gee] #701972
07/16/17 11:18 pm
07/16/17 11:18 pm
Kent, UK
N
Nick_Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
Nick_Smith  Offline
BritBike Forum member
N

Kent, UK
What Stuart said - why would you want to? There are enough issues to work with, without 'manufacturing' more.

In my experience of the 67 motor, any oil that does come out is not coming out of the pushrod tube seals.

Rather, the gasket surface on the rocker-boxes is very thin around the inside of the hole for the head stud.
No reason why it should be - the gasket face on the heads is a consistent 3/16" (5mm) or so, and most of the gasket face on the rocker-boxes is nearly that wide.
So, you end up putting 25 foot-lbs through about 1/16" of aluminium, onto a composite gasket, which won't stand this (or if the stud hole has clearance, then there's even less mating surface than the rocker-box allows).
Oil then runs down the studs and comes out at the head joint.

I had the gasket face made wider at the thin point with some short beads of aluminium weld, and cleaned the face up.
I also got copper rocker-box gaskets (same part number, C suffix), to handle the head studs better.

Nick

Last edited by Nick_Smith; 07/16/17 11:19 pm.

"1967 TR6R"

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership