BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
roadrocket
roadrocket
cork ireland
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
212 registered members (737Captain), 1,807 guests, and 520 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jules Fenton, beezergeezer, D.Ed, BravoFox, John Kieran
9756 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 85
Stuart 73
reverb 64
Popular Topics(Views)
364,275 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics64,108
Posts619,751
Members9,756
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Follow BritBike here!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#701464 - 07/11/17 5:27 pm A65 clutch problems...........  
richiedan40 Offline
BritBike Forum member
richiedan40  Offline
BritBike Forum member

wales uk
Hello Lads.......here I go again , 1stly , let me apologise for not assisting for a while , most of my time has been taken trying to get two bsa,s useable.
So theres 2 problems ,
1 it crunches in most gears ,unless you really take your time changing , ive fettled the plates , fitted an srm alloy cover , new quality friction plates x 6 , new primary oil , cover plate lifts squarely ,new clutch hub bearings, new thrust washer......heres the odd bit....everything is tight....centre nut ok.
but whilst running the clutch looks slightly eccentric ...there is a little play in the clutch hub and the basket.
would this cause the issue ?

2 After 3 head gaskets , a refurbed head , and the cylinder barrel re-sleeved.....it still leaks oil....from one place only , and ive isolated this through elimination
its coming out of the cylinder barrels , about the 3rd fin down , it generally appears when i put her on the side stand after a run , on the same side....its coming from between the fins , I cant see exactly where cos its too rough in there to see anything finite ........any ideas ????
Thanks once again
yours frustratedly....Richie D

1969 BSA A65 Lightning
1995 moto guzzi California
2016 moto guzzi v9 roamer
1971 BSA B50 Victor special
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#701502 - 07/11/17 10:39 pm Re: A65 clutch problems........... [Re: richiedan40]  
gunner Online content
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Farnham, Surrey, UK
Could be that the clutch is dragging and not fully disengaging. Theres a couple of things to check:-
- ensure the clutch springs arent becoming fully coil bound when the lever is fully pulled in. With the clutch cover off, pull the clutch lever all the way, you may need to loosen the springs if they are coil bound and the lever isnt fully retracting.
- Ideally the handlebar lever will go right back to the handlebar with the cable adjusted with some slight slack at the pivot (3mm)
- if this isnt happening then maybe the lever in the inner timing side is bottoming against the case. You may need to turn in the central clutch drum adjuster to get the inner lever working the full length of travel.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
#701528 - 07/12/17 2:08 am Re: A65 clutch problems........... [Re: richiedan40]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Are you sure the plain steels are flat and the cush drive is in good condition, Either of these faults or both will cause your problems, plus what Gunner says about the push rod adjuster.There is normally a bit of play in the drum when the clutch is operated, however warped steel plates may exaggerate any eccentricity. Most old A65 clutches fall somewhere on a line between knackered and seriously fubarred, all parts are prone to wear, Every old cush drive I have stripped has been found badly worn.

Clean the suspect oil leak area with solvent then dry and blow talc powder to pinpoint it exactly, Could be oil is finding its way down a head stud and there is a crack from the thread root to the outside.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 07/12/17 2:13 am.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
#701542 - 07/12/17 6:28 am Re: A65 clutch problems........... [Re: gavin eisler]  
gunner Online content
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Farnham, Surrey, UK
Regarding the leak from the head, as Gavin says oil could be running down a head stud or one of the drain holes in the barrel.

When I fitted my A65 head, I used a very thin smear of high temp loctite 5990 silicone around the drain and stud holes. I have no leaks but make sure you only coat the areas around the drain/stud holes as silicone can impeed heat transfer between head and barrel.

I have heard that some people fit O rings over the drain hole but have never tried it.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
#701545 - 07/12/17 7:37 am Re: A65 clutch problems........... [Re: richiedan40]  
Andy Higham Online content
BritBike Forum member
Andy Higham  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Bolton Lancs UK
Try changing up clutchlessly, just back off the throttle as you move the gear lever, it should change smoothly. If its still crunching it could be a gearbox problem, worn sleeve gear bushes is a favorite

1955 BSA B31 400cc "Stargazer"
1962 Greeves 200cc "Blue Meanie"
1962/67 Greeves 350cc
1967 Greeves 360cc Challenger
1984 Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
Modified Nu-Trak GM500cc sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
#702907 - 07/26/17 9:25 pm Re: A65 clutch problems........... [Re: richiedan40]  
richiedan40 Offline
BritBike Forum member
richiedan40  Offline
BritBike Forum member

wales uk
Hi again Lads , right....Gav , you are spot on again , ive never heard of the talc trick but bloody hell does it work . Ive been trying to trace this for months ,
originally thought it was the head , until the barrels were re-sleeved and the leak dropped a couple of fins where the stepped part of the liner covered the crack.
so its leaking from the back of the barrels , two fins down, right in between the stud holes , probably cracked where the studs screw in or maybe in the push rod tunnel...
either way its head and barrels off again.
question is....whats the best way to fix this , ive tried to weld cast before and its not really going to be that easy to plug and weld inside there.
What are your thoughts on chemical metal from the inside lining the push rod tunnel , maybe a bit of a fettle with a desouter to make a key.
I,m not really ready for new barrels yet , not now theyre sleeved to standard so a fix would be great.
Thoughts please .
this is the only leak left and apart from a slightly arkward gearchange , not sliding freely on the new bushes , I,m hoping itll wear in...its getting better.
the clutch is all fettled and ok now.
Shes riding lovely , quietest beeza ive ever had.....I can only hear the tappets in the garage.
Cheers
Richie

ps. Got some original carb/head spacers from AMAL , no more sticky slides.

1969 BSA A65 Lightning
#702939 - 07/27/17 1:15 am Re: A65 clutch problems........... [Re: richiedan40]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Possibly the head stud has "hydraulic-ed" at some point it may have been screwed in to the blind hole with muck in the bottom, this may have caused the crack, since you have gone to the bother of re-linereing the barrels it might be worth removing the stud nearest the crack, deep cleaning the hole, finish with a solvent then re fitting the head stud with pipe sealer on the threads. no guarantees with this one.

It might be a pin hole in the casting, perhaps silver solder would seal it if prepped and pre heated. On some barrels the rear head studs break through into the push rod tunnel( which is no big deal) not heard of out the back before.

personally , I would look for a good used set of barrels, theres not much room for liners in an A65 block.

As far as chemical / bodge paste goes, the best I have used is Belzona Molecular Metal, we used this to avoid down time by sealing leaks in compressed air pipework in the power station, when used correctly its very effective. I would undercut the crack a touch with a light dovetail effect to make sure the stuff has a firm grip. I have no experience with this at barrel temperatures though so do your own research for that, BMM is not cheap .

Dont kow about the welding, fins get repaired so someone must have a way.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 07/27/17 1:22 am.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
#703012 - 07/27/17 6:59 pm Re: A65 clutch problems........... [Re: richiedan40]  
richiedan40 Offline
BritBike Forum member
richiedan40  Offline
BritBike Forum member

wales uk
Thanks Gav , fins wise I think they use a dissimilar rod and possibly steel fins on cast . Theyre not chasing a crack with fins.
If I get it hot enough without running the crack I may braze it , theres an old phrase ! well at least I,ll try it.
Otherwise I think they've got some of that " promises everything " devcon plastic steel. in work , might give that ago until next year.

Thanks for your reply.
I,m up in Scotland in august , mate and I are doing the antrim coast road in n Ireland and then the cairn ryan ferry and off up to oban to see a good mate of mine
Triumph man ,
but we cant all be perfect eh ?

1969 BSA A65 Lightning
#703027 - 07/27/17 9:18 pm Re: A65 clutch problems........... [Re: richiedan40]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Hope the weather is good to you, if you see a red beesa in Oban town gives a wave I only know one triumph gent, wonder if its the same one?
Sounds like a great route, havent had the bike in Eire yet.

71 Devimead A65 750
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Mike Carter 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership