BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
57nortonmodel77
57nortonmodel77
Concord Township, Ohio
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
327 registered members (09graeme), 1,794 guests, and 528 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Rich Warren, Andrew90, Steve Jonesz, Dennis Fisher, chrisbsa
9902 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 77
Stuart 71
reverb 58
C.B.S 50
Popular Topics(Views)
414,352 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics64,929
Posts628,365
Members9,902
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#698719 - 06/16/17 7:36 pm Tool Box Mounting  
Stephen Hill Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stephen Hill  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Victoria, BC,
I am installing the small curved lifting arm on my 1956 DB34. The front of the lifting arm uses the bolt that mounts the rear of the toolbox. I think the way the rear of the toolbox is mounted now is a bit dodgy. A bolt runs through the frame, an odd piece of rubber is sandwiched between the first of the two brackets coming off the toolbox, a fat washer is jammed between the two brackets, then another piece of dodgy rubber, then a washer and nut.

I see the parts book calls for a spacer, which I don't have.

Can somebody please tell me what the stacked assembly should like look at the rear of the toolbox?
Are there any rubber bits in there?
What should go between the two rounded brackets that come off the rear of the toolbox? Perhaps the fat washer is correct?
Does the spacer just go between the frame and the first bracket, or does it go right through both brackets?

Because I want to haul the bike on to the center stand using the lifting arm, I want the whole thing bolted up hard, which it certainly isn' right now.

Thanks for all and any help.

Stephen Hill
Victoria, BC

BSA Gold Star eBay items

BSA Gold Star forum This board is dedicated to BSA Gold Star motorcycles.

#698883 - 06/18/17 7:54 am Re: Tool Box Mounting [Re: Stephen Hill]  
Peter R Online content
BritBike Forum member
Peter R  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Netherlands
Stephen, I too have the lifting handle on my DBD, although I am not sure if the setup on mine is original or not. Anyway, there are no rubber bits installed here.
I made a steel tube that fits between the holes in the "ears" of the rear suspension mounts of the frame, where the bolt of the lifting handle goes through. This is important imo, as this prevents distortion when the bolt and nut are tightened.
Next a metal spacer between frame and the toolbox, , another spacer on the aft side of the toolbox, this setup works well and feels solid.
I hope my explanation is clear.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
#698953 - 06/18/17 8:04 pm Re: Tool Box Mounting [Re: Peter R]  
Stephen Hill Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stephen Hill  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Victoria, BC,
Thank you Peter. Your explanation is clear. I agree, a spacer up inside the frame beside the upper shock mount is a good idea, to keep the frame from compressing. I have a lathe and will make three spacers as you describe. I also don't think there is a role for rubber mounting here when using the lifting arm.

Stephen Hill

#699034 - 06/19/17 4:26 pm Re: Tool Box Mounting [Re: Stephen Hill]  
Irish Swede Offline
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Elburn, Ill. USA
As I remember it, when I worked on an A10 some years ago, there was, from the factory, a spacer in the shock absorber mount to do that very thing....prevent collapse or 'pinching" of the mount when tightening that bolt.

#699037 - 06/19/17 4:45 pm Re: Tool Box Mounting [Re: Irish Swede]  
Peter R Online content
BritBike Forum member
Peter R  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Netherlands
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
As I remember it, when I worked on an A10 some years ago, there was, from the factory, a spacer in the shock absorber mount to do that very thing....prevent collapse or 'pinching" of the mount when tightening that bolt.

This spacer was certainly not present in mine, so I made one on the lathe.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
#699241 - 06/21/17 5:51 am Re: Tool Box Mounting [Re: Stephen Hill]  
Stephen Hill Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stephen Hill  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Victoria, BC,
The parts book calls for a spacer, which I am missing. It is becoming clear that the spacer belongs up inside the left rear frame, near the shock mount.

Stephen Hill

#700422 - 07/02/17 3:06 am Re: Tool Box Mounting [Re: Stephen Hill]  
Rickman Online content
BritBike Forum member
Rickman  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Ohio
Stephen,
I believe the "dodgy rubber bit" to be a smart thing to have in there, as otherwise, the metal of the ears off the tool box will chafe the paint off the frame and possibly the box.
As the spacer is about 7/8"? 15/16"? long, the triangulation of the bolt won't allow much deflection when using the lift handle? Especially with the shock properly bolted down tight? It's another stiffening joint...

Someone, before I bought it, used a wide flange rubber grommet on one tool box I have...

Of the six A-10 frames I have around right now, only two had the correct tubes inside those shock mount ears? I also will attempt to make several of those spacer tubes... Already, 3 of the frames have damage from DPO's "loosing" those spacers... "Pinching up" is a good description!

I will say that a metal washer instead of a rubber one, between the frame and box, may NOT be a good idea, unless you include a rubber washer, as there are two of the tool boxes I have, that the "washer between the two rounded parts off the back of the tool box" is NOT centered. None of my tool boxes have a loose washer between the rear ears.... It is part of the assembly, fixed in place. In my experience...

#701488 - 07/11/17 8:35 pm Re: Tool Box Mounting [Re: Stephen Hill]  
Stephen Hill Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stephen Hill  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Victoria, BC,
I finished the job and am quite happy with the result. Thank you for the suggestions.
The curved lifting handle is a nice accessory: it fits tightly to the bike and looks like it belongs there. And it makes it easier to haul the bike on the #$@#%$ center stand.

As I wanted the handle to be solidly mounted, I got rid of the rubber spacers used by the previous owner. Now the bolt goes through the shock bracket, through a spacer I turned to keep the shock bracket from collapsing, a thin spacer, the double ears on the rear of the toolbox, another thin spacer, then a lock washer and bolt.

If there is no lifting handle involved, I can see the utility of using rubber spacers either side of the double ears on the rear of the toolbox.

Either way, there is value in putting the spacer up in between the frame so it does not collapse further.

Stephen Hill

Last edited by Stephen Hill; 07/11/17 8:36 pm.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.384s Queries: 15 (0.058s) Memory: 0.8410 MB (Peak: 1.0237 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-10-21 22:58:28 UTC