BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Claudia
Claudia
California, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
204 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,562 guests, and 558 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Regi, Doug Baril, revans, Gilly, XTINCT
9961 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 185
koan58 101
Stuart 86
NickL 69
Popular Topics(Views)
440,153 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,305
Posts632,362
Members9,961
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#473084 - 01/19/13 3:25 am Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
johnm Offline
BritBike Forum member
johnm  Offline
BritBike Forum member

New Zealand
Ah well if you are getting a mist from the breather that might do the trick. I can certainly tell from your work your not the kind of man to let things get away on you :-)

The Velos in the garage are part of a collection owned by a NZ artist. They are activly used in competion and have been ridden recently by both Chris and Bill Swallow in NZCMRR events. If you are not so familiar with racing Bill has won the Manx GP 9 times and Chris was second in both the Senior and Junior Classic last year. The bikes are maintained by an old friend of mine and we often go to events together.

The bikes include Arthur Wheeler's old KTT, a pair of dustbin faring MOV 250s called the Joyce brothers bikes. They were successfully raced in NZ through the 1950s and were really only troubled by NSU Sportmax machines.

The Diener Eldee 2 is a very interesting machine. It is a DOHC conversion. Diener was from South Australia and built several machines including one on which he comprehensivly beat Fergus Anderson riding the works 250 Moto Guzzi. With Chris Swallow on it the bike is competitive against 1960s 250 two strokes. It has been timed at over 115 mph.

Then there are some steet bikes and modified class Venom race bikes. My poor old mate hardly has time to sleep at night trying to keep about five racing Velos on the track and is reduced to driving his van for road transport !!!

Last edited by johnm; 01/19/13 3:29 am.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#473572 - 01/21/13 8:57 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Dawg Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dawg  Offline
BritBike Forum member

England
Excellent stuff Bry - really enjoyed the video. It sounds fantastic - really curious to see how you go on with primary chains though...

1958 Velocette Venom
1960 Norton Dominator 99
1964 Velocette Venom Clubman Mk1
#482874 - 03/25/13 10:23 am Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Martin Carter Offline
One time poster
Martin Carter  Offline
One time poster

West Sussex UK
Hello Bry

Apart from adding my name to the plaudits that have already commented - and your venom must be the very best the world has ever seen! - I wonder why you chose not to fit a primary belt drive kit as part of the restoration?
I bought my 1959 venom at Bonhams Harrogate auction in November. It is a nice honest 'bike and I thought that Kevin Thurston's primary belt drive kit has to be the way to go. Kevin tells me that it won't cure primary chaincase oil leaks completely but that it will help and of course the belt is maintenance and stretch free. It would be most enlightening to hear your views.

I'm sorry but it has to be repeated - your venom is an absolute work of art and you are clearly an engineering genius!

Martin

#482991 - 03/25/13 8:18 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Martin Carter]  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
Thanks for the comments Martin.

Chain or belt primary is something that I thought long and hard about during the rebuild. I had the ideal opportunity to fit a belt system as I needed to replace the existing clutch chain wheel and drive sprocket anyway due to wear. However in the end – mainly to stick close to the original design, rather than any technical advantage - I decided to go with chain and attempt to run the primary dry, using the engine breather oil mist in the primary case and regular applications of chain lube.

After the first few hundred miles on the bike last year, I feared that this had been the wrong decision due to the excessive wear (stretching) of the chain. I then planned to convert to belt drive and it was the Kevin Thurston kit I was considering, this seems to be a very well made system and is reportedly well proven in road and race duty on Velo’s. But then following a conversation with Andy Forsdick (aka www.the-chain-man.co.uk) I was persuaded that the problem was the quality of the chain that I had been using, he suggested that I try a sealed o-ring chain that would require no lubrication. He wasn’t aware of this being attempted on a Venom before and if whether it would fit (o-ring chains are wider that their equivalent size regular chains), so he agreed to send me one to try for size first. It fitted OK so I decided to give it a try on the basis that it was the middle of summer in Scotland (sic) and I wanted to keep riding the bike and if it didn’t workout I could always order the Thurston kit and fit it during the winter. I was a bit concerned about running an o-ring chain in the primary due to the higher ambient temperature in the casing compared to a rear chain so kept a close eye on it. However after more than 1000 miles the chain has not required adjustment and still looks in good shape so I will keep running it this year and continue to monitor it.

Enjoy your Venom when spring finally arrives.

Bryan

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
#531182 - 03/03/14 1:10 am Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Auzray Offline
BritBike Forum member
Auzray  Offline
BritBike Forum member

south australia
Hi Bry have followed your section on Velocette crankcase breathers and am about to do a recently purchased Venom I have stripped down.Can you please tell me where about's you have drilled through from the timing side into the crankcase with a half inch, hole as cant see unless its behind a gear wheel you can get that size I realize that it is probably a while since this thread and pictures was done hoping you can still point me in the right spot .Or if any body reading this can drop me an email
on raybarker@iprimus.com.au
Thanks Ray

#531232 - 03/03/14 4:54 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Auzray]  
Bry Offline
Bry  Offline

Scotland
Originally Posted By: Auzray
Hi Bry have followed your section on Velocette crankcase breathers and am about to do a recently purchased Venom I have stripped down.Can you please tell me where about's you have drilled through from the timing side into the crankcase with a half inch, hole as cant see unless its behind a gear wheel you can get that size I realize that it is probably a while since this thread and pictures was done hoping you can still point me in the right spot .Or if any body reading this can drop me an email
on raybarker@iprimus.com.au
Thanks Ray

Hello Ray, I am travelling this week but will check my notes and see if I have decent photograph when I get home at the weekend. But from memory the hole from the timing chest into the crankcase is on the outside of the cast shroud surrounding the intermediate timing gear.
Bry

1946 Velocette MSS
1955 Triton (project)
1959 Velocette Venom
1966 Triumph T120
#532688 - 03/13/14 12:54 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
old mule Offline
BritBike Forum member
old mule  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Chihuahuan Desert
Thank you for taking the time to keep us informed about your machine's progress. I'm a former Velo owner, and appreciate these fine machines.
Last night just for the hell of it googled "SOX 631" and spent some time reading about that greatest of all Velocettes. Reading about the exploits of that machine inspired me as a young man to build my sidecar outfit and keep it (thus far) for 34 years. Constant refinement and good engineering were the basis of the Velocette machine and should be the goal (and process) of every owner.
Looking forward to more episodes from your shop. (By the way your shop seems excessively clean, most Velo oriented garages are, in my experience, a great dirty mass of old tools and machines, old leathers and lids hung everywhere, found road signs, carcasses of other British bikes, food containers, beer bottles, old frames and tanks hung from rafters etc.)

#586170 - 02/18/15 9:09 am Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Bike Scribe Offline
BritBike Forum member
Bike Scribe  Offline
BritBike Forum member

APAC
That's one beautiful Velocette Bry. I wish I had the skills to pull something like this off!

Thank you very much for sharing you build! Just added your Velocette build to the BikeBuilds Encyclopedia.

Al

#623857 - 10/31/15 7:41 pm Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
JinglyJangly Offline
BritBike Forum member
JinglyJangly  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Just found your blog, fantastic, I stayed in Aberdeen at the time of your posting
And have a 1960 Mk1 Clubman. (And a few other Velo's I am just about to start rebuilding
A venom engine hence the search for velo engine rebuild and finding your blog.)
Anyway fantastic work and I will be dipping into often for advice, thanks
Lenny

1960 Velo Venom Clubman
1974 Velo Metisse (Project)
1934 Velo Mov Racebike (Project)
Velo Venom Racebike (Rough)
1965 Velo Viper
1972 Triumph T160 Metisse
1972 Triumph T120v Bonnie and several Bsa/Norton projects

1959 AJS Model 18
#695977 - 05/21/17 4:37 am Re: '59 Velocette Venom [Re: Bry]  
Joolstacho Offline
BritBike Forum member
Joolstacho  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Australia
Brilliant Bry, just brilliant. And such a sweet noise it makes!

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.513s Queries: 16 (0.030s) Memory: 0.8824 MB (Peak: 1.0857 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-25 00:02:10 UTC