BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Buckshot1
Buckshot1
Diamond Springs, Kalifornia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
38 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 334 guests, and 363 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dan1818, Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks
10419 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 88
Rohan 81
reverb 75
Triless 75
Popular Topics(Views)
711,216 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,310
Posts665,061
Members10,419
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Looking to buy pre-1929 basket case [Re: Stuart] #691061
04/09/17 2:58 pm
04/09/17 2:58 pm
U.S.
Magnetoman Online content OP

BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content OP

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted by Stuart
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
in a 3-ring binder
I would've used a 4-ring
I wanted to use a 4-ring binder, but after a frustrating 15 minutes unsuccessfully trying to get the paper I had punched into it I finally gave up and used a 3-ring binder, where it inexplicably seems to fit. I can't figure out what the problem was. I hope my assembly of the bike goes more smoothly that this...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Magnetoman; 04/09/17 4:13 pm. Reason: added photo
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Looking to buy pre-1929 basket case [Re: Stuart] #691086
04/09/17 8:26 pm
04/09/17 8:26 pm
Irene, South Africa
robcurrie Offline
BritBike Forum member
robcurrie  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Irene, South Africa
I must be a 2 stroke person, I use 2 rings.

Rob C

Re: Looking to buy pre-1929 basket case [Re: Magnetoman] #691097
04/09/17 9:23 pm
04/09/17 9:23 pm
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Online content

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
With my "nom de plume" I obviously use a 3 ring binder!

Serious question---I have not started a new thread since the forum had its facelift.
I now want to start a new thread.
Can't see a button for New Thread.
Help please!

Last edited by Tridentman; 04/09/17 9:36 pm.
Re: Looking to buy pre-1929 basket case [Re: Magnetoman] #691110
04/09/17 11:22 pm
04/09/17 11:22 pm
argyll. scotland, uk
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
@trident man, click "thread options". Top LHS of the top post.

MM, the bike looks great, Looking forward to the engine rebuild, Ariels are very well engineered IME. Although Ive had no dealings with one of these models. My 52 KH was very well made. The Ariel group in Scotland is known as the Cuddy, ( Scots for horse, the Ariel emblem), they are good guys and have a wealth of fixes , Peter Barclay is a good man to get in touch with, I will see if I can get his contact details. Should you need any hard to come by stuff I am sure they will help if they can.
Heres a story I heard years ago. Supposedly Ariel went to great lengths to get cylinder stability, after casting the barrels they were left outside to "Settle" " for a few months before final machining, or so the story goes, cant remember the source (probably Peter).
I hope the Cannon ball thing goes well for you, Black Ariel, Black 2 piece leathers Black pudding basin lid with optional centre stripe, Mk 8 goggles, school woolen Jersey, waistcoat , white silk scarf, DR boots, "Magneto Man" top rocker on the back of the jacket, with a lightning flash logo centre.
In Scotland you would be known as "Chic the Black" , Chic pronounced chick, as a diminutive of Charles, only toffs are Charlies.
I reckon some of the trickier bits will be the cute old cup and cone wheel bearings, if it still has these, and they are worn they are tricky to get replacements for.Not a show stopper though. Looking forward to this MM, more power to yer elbow.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: Looking to buy pre-1929 basket case [Re: Magnetoman] #691112
04/09/17 11:47 pm
04/09/17 11:47 pm
New Jersey USA
Tridentman Online content

BritBike Forum member
Tridentman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey USA
Gavin--many thanks.
I plead advancing years and increasing senility.
The only cure seems to be a triple on the megga at over 4500 rpm!

Re: Looking to buy pre-1929 basket case [Re: gavin eisler] #691122
04/10/17 1:08 am
04/10/17 1:08 am
U.S.

BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
only toffs are Charlies.
Well, ahem, I did have dinner in the private dining room of the House of Lords three weeks ago...

Thanks very much for your supportive post. For a while I was feeling a bit dragooned into this, but after the Ariel surfaced that soon changed to guarded enthusiasm. Unearthing technical material for its shop manual cemented my relationship with it, and I'm even looking forward to covering ~4000 miles without benefit of suspension (that, no doubt, will change once the ride starts, if not sooner...).

Today I went through the manual from front to back, made a few organizational tweaks, and extracted technical data and maintenance information. I had photocopied the dozen 'General Data' pages of a BSA A65 shop manual and wrote the data on that so that I would know what I had (e.g. tappet clearances), and what important information is missing (e.g. con rod length, which I'll need to calculate piston position BTDC vs. crankshaft angle).

I also made the first draft of the necessary maintenance routine based on quantitative values when I found them in my manual (e.g. grease the rockers every 300-400 miles), supplemented by recommendations by Nicholson in his 'Modern Motorcycle Mechanics', and organized according to the expected ~250 miles/day mileage. If my rebuild returns it to as-new reliability (albeit, as-new 1928 reliability...) it should take less than an hour every evening to do all the maintenance tasks to keep that as-new reliability for the entire rally. The one exception to the one-hour/day is if it needs a top-end decoke, which would be done on the 'day of rest' at the halfway point of the rally. I'll have to bring the tools needed to do that if necessary (e.g. valve spring compressor), but will keep my fingers crossed that modern oil will burn cleaner than what they used to use.

As for cup-and-cone wheel bearings, unless there's something unexpected with the races pressed into the hubs, if it does have those I don't expect it will be too difficult to machine new axles and spacers to replace them with sealed ball bearings.

1928 500cc Ariel Model C [Re: Magnetoman] #691210
04/10/17 11:40 pm
04/10/17 11:40 pm
U.S.

BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Although it's probably futile, I posted a number of technical questions in the Ariel forum. If you know the answers to any of them, please post them in this thread or that one. Thanks!

p.s. I changed the title of the thread to better represent the current contents

Last edited by Magnetoman; 04/10/17 11:48 pm. Reason: added p.s.
Re: 1928 500cc Ariel Model C [Re: Magnetoman] #692013
04/17/17 3:22 am
04/17/17 3:22 am
Raleigh, NC
CafeTbird Offline
BritBike Forum member
CafeTbird  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Raleigh, NC
Cheers, MM... looking forward to seeing you on the road. Our 28 BSA Sloper showed up Saturday, and so now the saga begins!

Scot Dail
http://www.gogglesdown.wordpress.com/
28 BSA S28 OHV
66 Triumph T100SR
69 BSA Thunderbolt
73 Triumph TR7RV
75 Moto Guzzi 850T
96 Triumph Thunderbird Cafe
96 Triumph Super III
(2)Bridgestone 350 GTRs
IBA #31553; 59 Club #29906
Re: 1928 500cc Ariel Model C [Re: CafeTbird] #692018
04/17/17 5:22 am
04/17/17 5:22 am
U.S.

BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted by CafeTbird
now the saga begins!
Indeed it does.

Congratulations on getting the Sloper. It looks and sounds great on the video. My Ariel got trapped in England by the long holiday weekend but it is coming by air so it shouldn't be much longer before it's here as well. Then my work begins in earnest.

September 2018 sounds like it's a long time from now but I expect both of us will be scrambling when the Start date approaches.

Re: 1928 500cc Ariel Model C [Re: Magnetoman] #692343
04/19/17 3:39 pm
04/19/17 3:39 pm
U.S.

BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
My Ariel got trapped in England by the long holiday weekend but it is coming by air so it shouldn't be much longer before it's here as well.
I got word from the shipper this morning that the bike will leave England on Friday. I don't know the routing but I expect that means it will be here around the end of next week.

Re: 1928 500cc Ariel Model C [Re: Magnetoman] #692372
04/19/17 7:02 pm
04/19/17 7:02 pm
Running from demons in WNY
Hillbilly bike Online content
BritBike Forum member
Hillbilly bike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Running from demons in WNY
My Ariel got trapped in England by the long holiday weekend but it is coming by air so it shouldn't be much longer before it's here as well.
I got word from the shipper this morning that the bike will leave England on Friday. I don't know the routing but I expect that means it will be here around the end of next week.

Hopefully not by Somalia and it gets hijacked by pirates grin .....I shipped a vintage truck from New York to the Netherlands...It sat waiting at the port of Newark NJ and then at a seaport in Holland for much longer than the sea voyage...Good luck on your bike bigt

I ride dinosaurs that eat money
Re: 1928 500cc Ariel Model C [Re: Hillbilly bike] #692396
04/19/17 9:48 pm
04/19/17 9:48 pm
U.S.

BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted by Hillbilly bike
Hopefully not by Somalia and it gets hijacked by pirates grin .....I shipped a vintage truck from New York to the Netherlands...It sat waiting at the port of Newark NJ and then at a seaport in Holland for much longer than the sea voyage.
Three stories come to mind:

One of my first manuscripts was delayed by a year because all of them from a conference had been sent to Israel for typesetting -- yes, it was that long ago -- and the plane was hijacked and burned in the desert after it landed so the publisher had to start over again.

Today it would result in a visit by Homeland Security agents, but 25 years ago I made bi-weekly phone calls to a shipping company to track the current location of the ship carrying a bike I bought from Italy as the ship made its way through a dozen ports in the Mediterranean, North Atlantic and Caribbean

I woke up today with an email that gave the, gulp, final cost of air freighting the bike. However, while I was still processing that information I opened the New York Times app on my iPhone which is set to show the 'Top Stories'. Waiting for me there was an article by a financial planner with the title "Sometimes, Spending Brings a Bigger Return than Savings." The article concludes "Because it's not just money you're going to need in the distant future. You're also going to need a lifetime of priceless memories and invaluable experiences to remind you what a great life you've lived." Well, it's not as if I don't already have a pretty good stock of priceless memories and invaluable experiences, but if that article wasn't a sign that the gods approve of this foolishness I don't know what is.

Re: 1928 500cc Ariel Model C [Re: Magnetoman] #694014
05/04/17 10:23 pm
05/04/17 10:23 pm
U.S.

BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
For those who are interested, the Ariel is now at my house. I posted an update in the 'Ariel' forum, but I haven't decided yet what to do about future updates about the restoration.

Re: 1928 500cc Ariel Model C [Re: Magnetoman] #694032
05/05/17 7:03 am
05/05/17 7:03 am
Christchurch NZ
R Moulding Offline
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Not that my opinion counts for much but I would like to see it in the projects section. Whilst Brit bikes in general interest me I tend not to look at the model specific forums for anything other than bikes I own. Would hate to miss out.

Either way I wish you the best with the endeavour.

Rod

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
Re: 1928 500cc Ariel Model C [Re: R Moulding] #694118
05/06/17 3:09 am
05/06/17 3:09 am
U.S.

BritBike Forum member

BritBike Forum member

U.S.
Originally Posted by R Moulding
I would like to see it in the projects section.
I kept track of how long it took for me to resize the latest photo in my 'Ariel' thread, save it as a jpg, upload it to Photobucket, copy the URL, and insert it in that thread. It was the better part of 5 minutes. The thought of starting another image-heavy restoration thread where it takes that much of my time to do the work computers very easily could do for me is off-putting.

Morgan and I have been corresponding about photographs on BritBike. The issue is he's tied to the software on which this site is built, which was created before programmers realized digital photographs were going to take over the world and become such a key component of on-line communication. I know that programmers are working on this issue so my hope is they are able to patch together a solution, and that they do so soon.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership