BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auction JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auction
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
porge
porge
Tasmania, Australia
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
191 registered members (1xfatboy), 1,761 guests, and 601 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
iansouthoz, Lightning Sim, Simon.Holyfield, Bushcreature, Gary Shackleton
10035 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Lannis 144
kommando 105
Stuart 65
Popular Topics(Views)
476,772 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,721
Posts635,225
Members10,035
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hydraulic Clutch conversion? #678405
12/20/16 6:31 am
12/20/16 6:31 am
Norfolk UK
T
Tricky-Dicky Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Tricky-Dicky  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
T
Norfolk UK
Noticed that there are some clutch slave/actuators available on eBay that on measuring look like they could be used in the T160, just wondering has anyone done this and did it improve the feel/effort, as the std clutch is quite heavy.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Re: Hydraulic Clutch conversion? [Re: Tricky-Dicky] #678411
12/20/16 9:10 am
12/20/16 9:10 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi,

Originally Posted By Tricky-Dicky
as the std clutch is quite heavy.

It shouldn't be - all my triples, I can pull the clutch lever with one finger at least a few times for demonstration purposes; two fingers and I can pull the levers all day (I used to live in pre-M25 London and cross north-west to south-east and return regularly). I also have a T100 and none of my triples' clutches are noticeably "heavier" than the twin's clutch.

Usual culprits for a "heavy" triple clutch are the cable (I work on - off the bike - after cleaning and lubing, the inner should slide through the outer under its own weight, or I replace it) and/or worn handlebar lever pivot. Or a p.o. might've installed a 'heavier' spring to 'cure' clutch slip.

There has been much recent discussion on the TOL forum about "plate thickness", "basket heights", yadda, yadda; if you'd like some light Christmas reading while Strictly Mincing or whatever is on, try typing "clutch" into the TOL Advanced Search and wading through the returned links ...

The triple clutch can be a problem item, but ime much can be done before hydraulics are the 'solution'.

Hth.

Regards,

Re: Hydraulic Clutch conversion? [Re: Tricky-Dicky] #678420
12/20/16 11:27 am
12/20/16 11:27 am
Norfolk UK
T
Tricky-Dicky Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Tricky-Dicky  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
T
Norfolk UK
One result with "Hydraulic Clutch" in the content, by yourself, the cable is reasonable but not perfect, basic adjustment seems fine, will have a look in the manual for anything i have missed,
However the question still stands, i would like to hear from anyone who may have used the eBay type slave in a conversion?

Last edited by Tricky-Dicky; 12/20/16 11:28 am.
Re: Hydraulic Clutch conversion? [Re: Tricky-Dicky] #678424
12/20/16 11:47 am
12/20/16 11:47 am
Scotland
kommando Online content
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Scotland
Not heard of one being used on a Trident but there is a report on the NOC about one being used on a Norton Commando.

http://www.nortonownersclub.org/noc-chat/general/499829127?b_start=0#868663213

Not as easy as it looks but I have seen one on a Triumph Cub which works very well but there is not a lot left on the cub you would recognise as being cub like wink

Quote:
Back to the hydraulic clutch. Spent some time shortening the slave cylinder thread to ensure it's not up against the rear isolastic tube. Shortened the rod and re-threaded it (2mm x 0.4mm) slimmed down the screw on nipple to fit the fork in the gearbox. Struggled to bleed the system as I had to undo the banjo screw to align the pipe. Finally I just couldn't get enough travel on the rod to properly release the clutch, so gave up. I may re-visit this with a larger master cylinder from a Honda to match the brake lever, or try and get more movement out of the existing setup by more meticulous bleeding.

Re: Hydraulic Clutch conversion? [Re: Tricky-Dicky] #678426
12/20/16 12:15 pm
12/20/16 12:15 pm
ca, us
D
DMadigan Online content
BritBike Forum member
DMadigan  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
D
ca, us
I have not tried that particular type. I make these:

The hydraulics eliminates the cable friction. Mine also automatically adjusts for clutch disc wear.
I had someone ask for a master using the T160/T140 master brake mount and lever which requires a different cylinder bore. I am testing this one:

The hydraulics are not going to fix other problems such as the pressure plate binding.

Re: Hydraulic Clutch conversion? [Re: Tricky-Dicky] #678435
12/20/16 1:05 pm
12/20/16 1:05 pm
Norfolk, UK
L.A.B. Online content
BritBike Forum member
L.A.B.  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Norfolk, UK

Re: Hydraulic Clutch conversion? [Re: Tricky-Dicky] #678437
12/20/16 1:46 pm
12/20/16 1:46 pm
Norfolk UK
T
Tricky-Dicky Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Tricky-Dicky  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
T
Norfolk UK
Thanks fellas, but 165 vs 7 for a slave is going to be a no contest for an experiment....anyway where is he challenge in fitting an existing kit. wink

Had a look at the Commando conversion and think that the travel may be the only bug to fitting, but you don't know until you try as they say.

Re: Hydraulic Clutch conversion? [Re: Tricky-Dicky] #689623
03/27/17 6:10 pm
03/27/17 6:10 pm
Norfolk UK
T
Tricky-Dicky Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Tricky-Dicky  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
T
Norfolk UK
Update for this one too, i have fitted one of these Chinese cheapys, and it appears to work fine, there is enough movement to disengage the clutch OK, as per the original cable/leaver combination, did need to find a 19mm master cylinder in order to shift enough fluid, and its still a bit heavy, but then i do still have a clutch problem, i am suspecting the plate maybe warped.

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership