BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor  
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Member Spotlight
oggy
oggy
Lancashire, England
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Andy1778, markdam, Bill Long, Adrian1983, Steveskates
9555 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
kommando 116
Stuart 80
Lannis 73
NickL 61
Boomer 59
Popular Topics(Views)
274,866 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics62,830
Posts605,777
Members9,555
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#688651 - 03/19/17 5:59 pm T100R carb problems  
Joey Y Offline
BritBike Forum member
Joey Y  Offline
BritBike Forum member

New York
So I posted on here a few weeks ago about picking up a T100R. Anyway-I did. I also thought it would be a good idea to fix something that wasn't broken and go ahead and clean out the carbs/fuel system since the bike was running good, but has been sitting.

When I took the carbs apart, I noticed everything internally was scored, the casting of the bowls and body wasn't mating nice, the gaskets were shot. Anyways $40 dollars and 12 hours later after going through the carbs over and over and over, I couldn't get them not to piss gas, deprive the bike from fuel, and leak all over the place. Due to their extremely poor condition to start with, I said [censored] it, and bought brand new AMAL 626's

I'm running the exact same set up on a bone stock bike - 150 main, 106 needle #3 cutaway, here are the carbs I purchased:

https://www.classicbritishspares.co...set-triumph-bsa-500-t100r-a50-l626-r626a

Same style bars same throttle cable. However I can't set the carbs up. The idle screams at all positions. 1 1/2 turns out on the air mix and starting between 1 and 2 on the main idle.

I need a sanity check. Is this a throttle cable issue? Something pinched. Do these new 626s require a different longer cable? Someone tell me how I'm screwing up simple carbs, thanks in advanced

'66 BSA Spitfire Special
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#688654 - 03/19/17 6:09 pm Re: T100R carb problems [Re: Joey Y]  
desco Online content
BritBike Forum member
desco  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Bishop, Calif.
http://www.jba.bc.ca/Bushmans%20Carb%20Tuning.html

Try lubing the cables and greasing the throttle. Let the cables hang off throttle and see if the outer covers move easy.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
#688662 - 03/19/17 6:48 pm Re: T100R carb problems [Re: Joey Y]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Joey,

Have you taken off the air filters and checked with a Mk.1 eyeball that the slides are reaching the bottom of the bodies when the throttle is 'closed'?

I notice the carbs. in CBS's picture has cable adjusters for both throttle and choke cables; did the original carbs. have adjusters in the carb. tops for the throttle cables? If not, and you haven't changed the cables, that could be your problem?

AMAL Premiers have a removable pilot jet; you aren't 'adjusting' the pilot jets thinking they're the air screws?

Premiers have been known to have swarf in them when brand-new; facepalm you might have to strip them and blow through all pilot passages and jets ...

Originally Posted by Joey Y
#3 cutaway,

While it isn't likely to have anything to do with the existing problem, when you start using the bike, you might find these are too rich; they're what was specified nearly half-a-century ago, and we don't have the same fuel ...

Hth.

Regards,

#688663 - 03/19/17 6:48 pm Re: T100R carb problems [Re: Joey Y]  
Joey Y Offline
BritBike Forum member
Joey Y  Offline
BritBike Forum member

New York
Still the same. Couldn't be from removing the choke right? Never had choke on my old carbs either so I took out the block and put the stopper in the top. I feel like this has to be a cable issue. The bikes screaming when it starts up

Last edited by Joey Y; 03/19/17 6:50 pm.

'66 BSA Spitfire Special
#688679 - 03/19/17 8:31 pm Re: T100R carb problems [Re: Joey Y]  
Joey Y Offline
BritBike Forum member
Joey Y  Offline
BritBike Forum member

New York
Stu

Thought about that too. I put the old carb tops one where the cable just fits in there on the new amals so that eliminates the issue. I also have the slides not reaching the bottom of the bodies, there is a gap...I have them set off the idle screw 1.5 turns in from when the slide starts moving up. Should there be no gap at all?

'66 BSA Spitfire Special
#688686 - 03/19/17 10:56 pm Re: T100R carb problems [Re: Joey Y]  
GTSRider Offline
BritBike Forum member
GTSRider  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Tampa, Florida
One thing I did on my 71 T100R was to convert the dual cable off of the throttle, to a single cable ,
connected to the plastic cable splitter used on T140's .
The carbs connect to the splitter , and then the one single cable to the throttle.
....low cost modification that seems to work well. I siliconed everything , and the action is very smooth !
GTSRider
Hudson Valley , NY
82 T140ES
76 TR7
71 T100R

PM
#688750 - 03/20/17 12:39 pm Re: T100R carb problems [Re: Joey Y]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Joey,

Originally Posted by Joey Y
Stu

Thought about that too. I put the old carb tops one where the cable just fits in there on the new amals so that eliminates the issue. I also have the slides not reaching the bottom of the bodies, there is a gap...I have them set off the idle screw 1.5 turns in from when the slide starts moving up. Should there be no gap at all?

Just to be clear:-

. "1.5 turns" applies to the air screw - horizontal opposite the pilot jet. You unscrew it "1.5 turns" from fully-seated as a starting point for tuning.

. The idle screw is the one that points upwards into the body at about 45 degrees. You set that wherever for your desired idle rpm. If you've set these to "1.5 turns", unscrew 'em completely, screw in any and all cable adjusters and check that the slides are then hitting the bottoms of the bodies when the throttle is closed. Then start the engine and, if the engine isn't "screaming", raise the slides with the throttle 'til the engine is a little above "your desired idle rpm", screw in the idle screws 'til the idle rpm doesn't drop when you let go of the throttle, then lower the rpm to "your desired idle" by unscrewing the idle screws the same small amount each at a time.

Once you've balanced the carbs., you might have to alter the idle screws position "for your desired idle rpm".

Hth.

Regards,

#688754 - 03/20/17 12:55 pm Re: T100R carb problems [Re: Stuart]  
desco Online content
BritBike Forum member
desco  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

Bishop, Calif.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
#688777 - 03/20/17 6:50 pm Re: T100R carb problems [Re: Joey Y]  
RF Whatley Online content
BritBike Forum member
RF Whatley  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

North Georgia, USA
Whatley's Second Law of Brit Bikes: A man always buys a Brit bike with one more carburetor than he is capable of tuning.

laughing

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

"Shop Boy" at Rodi British Bikes
#688831 - 03/21/17 2:41 am Re: T100R carb problems [Re: Joey Y]  
Joey Y Offline
BritBike Forum member
Joey Y  Offline
BritBike Forum member

New York
Ok..so thanks for all the responses. Updates:

Got the bike fired up. 1 1/2 turns out on the air screws, then from the lowest possible point the slide goes, right to where it starts engaging with the idle screw 1 1/2 turns in. Main is 150, needle is 106, slide is 3, needle clip is 1, no choke, left AMAL premier float height as I got it. Totally stock 72 T100R. The bikes running idling and accelerating, not running amazing but at least it's a step the right way. It definitely isn't ready to ride yet though. The thing runs in first and idling in the garage, but when I come out of 2nd gear the bike dies. It almost seems like a lack of fuel to the carbs. I noticed premier carbs have a smaller looking fuel hookup on the bowl, so I ran 1/4" line versus 5/16". I also put my stock Concentric carb tops and springs in the new premiers to accommodate to my old throttle cables not having the thread to thred into the Concentric head. Could either of these be the reason for that dying out? I'm thinking that or something with the clutch got out of wack randomly (separate issue?) Also I've been reading about the "new" pilot screw on these new premiers should I touch this?

'66 BSA Spitfire Special
#688835 - 03/21/17 5:02 am Re: T100R carb problems [Re: Joey Y]  
R Moulding Online content
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

South Island

Have you balanced the throttle slides?

Rod

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership