BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor  
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
TT John
TT John
Whitstable England
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Who's Online Now
216 registered members (Adam M.), 1,806 guests, and 727 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Michael Schmitt, Lost in Garage, Dave N., goincommando, harvester850
9627 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 93
Lannis 86
reverb 67
C.B.S 63
Popular Topics(Views)
295,768 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics63,228
Posts610,021
Members9,627
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
BritBike Gallery latest photo
BSA A7 cutout engine
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Follow BritBike here!
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#685481 - 02/20/17 3:39 pm Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread  
Morgan aka Admin Online happy
Ride safe today!
Morgan aka Admin  Online Happy

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Hi everyone.

As you have see I upgraded the forum with version 7.6.0 and its a more mobile friendly version which means
on phones the left column is gone but not on tablets.
There are still work to be done, for example i need to remake left column and top and bottom so it works better with PC/tablets/phones

please report constructive feedfack not just that the old version was better or not..

I would like you to go below and chose wich styles layout that works better for you, there are several light and dark and colorful styles to chose from.
Then I would like you to go to "My Stuff" there are new features there, go thru your profile and preferences etc to see if you wish to change things.

also you see the shout chat, who's online and other things its well worth to play around little there.

So do that and give me some feedback... remember I'm alone about this and its as much new for me as for you.. OK

FYI I do have limited time to work on the forum at the moment so please be patient with me..

Ride safe
Morgan

Oh about the attached photos this is a new feature, click on each photo to see when the enlarge in size.
the bikes were mine in the past.. sold them all but had so much fun with then... Cheers

Attached Files
bsa1939m22.jpg (199 downloads)
bonnieemilymorgan.jpg (207 downloads)
remodelc1939r.jpg (206 downloads)
bsa1961DBD34.jpg (195 downloads)
Last edited by Morgan aka Admin; 02/20/17 4:44 pm. Reason: testing
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#685486 - 02/20/17 4:02 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas
NICE!!!

(photo feature, AND the bikes)

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#685487 - 02/20/17 4:05 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
ricochetrider Online content
Moto Mojo
ricochetrider  Online Content

Moto Mojo

Pennsyltuckey
Reposting this here, Morgan:

Morgan,

One thing I would like to see is a banner across the bottom of each page that links to "forums", or takes you back to the home page of the forum you are in, IE: Rod & Tappet, British Bikes In General, et al. For example, across the top of this page right now, this banner reads as follows: "BritBike Forum- -Forums- -BritBike FAQ Forum- -BritBike Forum upgrades Feb 19th, 2017" with 4 options, the "home" page, the forum list, the current forum, and the current thread.

If there was one such banner with these options also at the bottom of each opened page, one would not have to scroll back to the top to arrow "back", or whatever to return to this or any other page, and one could return to the entire forum list or home page as well.

Not a complaint, just a suggestion for future reference. As for the NEW layout, I've been clicking around in various forums and pages. Everything looks great! I totally love how (in "dark mode") everything appears to float above a background which looks like an old chalk board. Nice work, brother! bigt

Cheers,
Tom

EDIT:
Just went thru "My Stuff". Aside from deleting some old PMs, there is nothing I'd like to change. The whole thing looks great, again, love the *new* dark mode.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 02/20/17 4:12 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

#685505 - 02/20/17 8:07 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Grandpaul you wrote

Okay, my first complaint: used to be, my BB.Com shortcut had a cool BSA "wing" icon; now it's a goofy "u" in a dialogue 'bubble'.
Not a HUGE complain, but it's not nearly as cool...

not sure i followed your complain.. Paul but check now again if it works I guess its the tiny icon images you mean
cheers

#685511 - 02/20/17 9:07 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Morgan -

On the "Forums" page, there's really not enough room the way it is now (and maybe the way it was) for the titles of the threads.

Left to Right, The first 20% of the screen is the "sidebar" with the stats, adverts, shout box, etc. That's OK.

Then you have a BIG color icon and the Forum title, along with the Forum description. Since this never changes for a given Forum, it's not really useful for that to take up 50% of the screen. Then there's the # of Threads and # of Posts, which, to me isn't really interesting; it doesn't change anything I might do as far as reading or posting.

That leaves just the right 10% of the screen for the important information, the Thread Title. These always have to be cut off short, so you can't really see what they are as you scan the page.

If you could cut back on the BIG Icons, the Forum Title, the Forum Description, and eliminate the # of threads and # of posts, you would have room for the real information that's important to us day to day as we post.

Be that as it may, thanks for the effort that goes into Hosting and maintaining our playground here .... !!

Lannis

"Peace of mind? It's a piece of cake!"
#685517 - 02/20/17 10:02 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Lannis,
First I need to now what you are looking at a PC a tablet or mobile it matters a lot as its different things to work on..

Second test different browsers as they actually display the layout differently.

also it matter which resolution you have on your screen higher means more to see
I do have low res at work and high res at home.

I will reshape the top part above the actual forum it will be done in a while when decisions have been mage how to so it works best for us.
Mobile phones don't show the left column that is one reason why the top and bottom needs to be reshaped.

About from left to right.
I will take it into consideration to remove forum avatars later on when I kno more. to show threads and posts are not important to me its more of a service.
Have notified your request.

Have patience with me i'm alone on this and life is a bit hectic right now.
I need to pick up all the news and slowly adapt to best possible solution..

Ok good so far.

#687897 - 03/13/17 12:10 am Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
reverb Online content
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

South cone
...hello Morgan, regarding more user friendly stuff; what s happened with the "GO" button down the pages to go to other parts of the forum?

Thanks

#688070 - 03/14/17 8:42 am Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reverb, it is there as a drop down menu bar, you need to be within a forum or a thread to see it.

#688291 - 03/16/17 3:09 am Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
reverb Online content
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

South cone
...seems that only works if you click on other forum instead of the one that you are.
So you need to perform more clicks to go to the same place...more clicks than with previous platform.

Thanks

Last edited by reverb; 03/16/17 3:11 am.
#688320 - 03/16/17 1:22 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
A back to original forum at the bottom, or "previous and next " buttons at the bottom would be useful, now , when I finish reading a post I need to scroll to the top to find these.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
#688346 - 03/16/17 6:46 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Reverb,
I hear you but with this way its less clicks, the only lime you need to click twice is when you want to see same page again and even then it can be done with one click. The "Top" at the left side under the member avatar.

gavin,
click on the "Top" link at left at least you don't have to scroll. I'll put both your requests as user requsts.
OK?

I would also suggest that you check "My Stuff" as there are quiet a few settings you can alter to enhance your experience here at BritBike Forum

Last edited by Morgan aka Admin; 03/16/17 6:53 pm.
#688415 - 03/17/17 3:08 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
reverb Online content
BritBike Forum member
reverb  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

South cone
...hello Morgan, not to be heavy but if I m reading, starting a thread etc in a given forum, for example: Triumph; after I response to a thread I want to go to this very forum again not to other forum...then when I am finished with Triumph forum MAY BE I want to go to another but mostly the members only stay in one forum; never saw Norton members in the Triumph forum...anyway, so I need to do MORE clicks to stay in the forum that I decided to use.

Last edited by reverb; 03/17/17 3:09 pm.
#688423 - 03/17/17 4:26 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
reverb
i hear you, now i know a little more, first this is the only case when you need to click twice to come to Triumph forum after you posted in the same forum.

I have not written the software for this type of forum, sometime to do make hacks but not in this case.

what you should do to easiest come back to same forum is to click on
Top and then on "BritBike Forum > Forums >Triumph Forum

This is the easiest way to get back right now.
I'll put your request on the bucket list for the programmer that is all I can do.
cheers

Last edited by Morgan aka Admin; 03/17/17 4:28 pm.
#688517 - 03/18/17 2:26 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
GrandPaul Online content
BritBike Forum member
GrandPaul  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Laredo (South) Texas
Morgan,

Thanx again for all you do, I understand your time constraints.

Just an OBSERVATION (NOT a complaint) - the forum take significantly longer to load on my computer, (with cookies cleaned, so that's not contributing).

Glad to see the nice BritBike.Com logo in my shortcut bar, thanx again!

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, some BSA & European
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
#689357 - 03/25/17 10:01 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: GrandPaul]  
Keane Lucas Online content
BritBike Forum member
Keane Lucas  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey
[quote=GrandPaul]
Just an OBSERVATION (NOT a complaint) - the forum take significantly longer to load on my computer, (with cookies cleaned, so that's not contributing).

Thanks Paul, thought it was just me.

1969 BSA A65T w/A70 engine
1970 Royal Enfield Interceptor S2
#689387 - 03/26/17 1:11 am Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Keane Lucas]  
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
quinten  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Pacific northwest

1. Http links are not very prominently displayed in posts . I cant tell if they are live and working until I keep poking at them .

2. If someone has added their own text as a link shortcut , I do not see the ' text highlighted ' in any way to indicate it is a link .

3. How can I get to 'use full reply' without going though 'quick reply' ?

My device is a crappy old samsung 10.1 tablet ... running some unknowable android version of google as browser

#689494 - 03/26/17 8:11 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
gavin eisler Online content
BritBike Forum member
gavin eisler  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

argyll. scotland, uk
Thanks Morgan,
A few other things, I am part of a couple of Brit face book pages, these groups have very useful Files Archives where users can upload PDF files of manuals and tech info, its a great resource, one that would be very useful here. Its also very clunky having to go through Photobucket or some other type of cloud host to put up pics. A one click camera icon that goes straight to the My Pics in the users gadget would make life a whole lot easier.
I counted the clicks to put up this pic , it was 25, new tab, photo bucket, login again etc etc. No wonder many struggle with this.
[Linked Image]

Maybe I am asking for too much, i appreciate the work you put in and the forums are a great resource as is , keep it up.
Cheers
G

Last edited by gavin eisler; 03/26/17 8:20 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
#689506 - 03/26/17 9:47 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: GrandPaul]  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by GrandPaul
Morgan,

Thanx again for all you do, I understand your time constraints.

Glad to see the nice BritBike.Com logo in my shortcut bar, thanx again!

I have asked but not gotten any solution for now, I will try and educate my selft more but it will take some time

#689509 - 03/26/17 10:03 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: gavin eisler]  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
Thanks Morgan,
A few other things, I am part of a couple of Brit face book pages, these groups have very useful Files Archives where users can upload PDF files of manuals and tech info, its a great resource, one that would be very useful here. Its also very clunky having to go through Photobucket or some other type of cloud host to put up pics. A one click camera icon that goes straight to the My Pics in the users gadget would make life a whole lot easier.
I counted the clicks to put up this pic , it was 25, new tab, photo bucket, login again etc etc. No wonder many struggle with this.
[Linked Image]

Maybe I am asking for too much, i appreciate the work you put in and the forums are a great resource as is , keep it up.
Cheers
G

Gavin,

I could look into an archive a bit further on but upgraded members can upload photos and PDF files with their posts today

#689510 - 03/26/17 10:05 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: quinten]  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by quinten

1. Http links are not very prominently displayed in posts . I cant tell if they are live and working until I keep poking at them .

2. If someone has added their own text as a link shortcut , I do not see the ' text highlighted ' in any way to indicate it is a link .

3. How can I get to 'use full reply' without going though 'quick reply' ?

My device is a crappy old samsung 10.1 tablet ... running some unknowable android version of google as browser

Quinten,

1, give me examples
2, same give me example
3, well I turned off the quick link option so now everybody see only the full reply, let see if that works

#689518 - 03/26/17 11:12 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
quinten  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Pacific northwest
Ok , heres two ,

first the http does not appear highlighted until I 'thumb over it' ... in good light I can almost see some gray underlining .

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=689393#Post689393

Second ,
Kurt fishers post contains the words 'this one' as a live link .
Using (zen) colors , the link is gray on the same or very similar gray ... I could not distinguish it as a link
until someone pointed it out to me .

Originally Posted by kurt fischer
Originally Posted by mudmanc4
I'm in need of a single phase Boyer powerbox ...

Thanks, Rick

Would this one work?

Thanks morgan , it could just be my tablet , its been dropped a number of times and been factory reset ... but I can't seem to break it .

#689555 - 03/27/17 5:30 am Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: quinten]  
Ride safe today!

Ride safe today!

Gothenburg, Sweden
You are right it is a little difficult to see links as the color is grey, I suggest that you change to ubbcentral (light blue) or crimson colors then you'll see it more clearly.
I will not change any templates now as it will come a new version

#689566 - 03/27/17 7:17 am Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
quinten Offline
BritBike Forum member
quinten  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Pacific northwest

Yep , your right , thanks for the solution .
the lack of contrast only apears when using the 'zen' template .

#689871 - 03/29/17 6:47 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
Keane Lucas Online content
BritBike Forum member
Keane Lucas  Online Content

BritBike Forum member

New Jersey
It's gone from-'Took too long' to 'This site can't be reached' 3/29

3/31-did some house cleaning---Much Better!!

Thank you for this forum.

Last edited by Keane Lucas; 03/31/17 8:18 pm. Reason: Improvement,from my side.

1969 BSA A65T w/A70 engine
1970 Royal Enfield Interceptor S2
#689886 - 03/29/17 8:38 pm Re: Forum upgrade 7.6.0 questions & bug report thread [Re: Morgan aka Admin]  
Lannis Online content
Life member
Lannis  Online Content

Life member

Central Virginia
Everything's working slick for me ....

Lannis

"Peace of mind? It's a piece of cake!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Steve Erickson 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership