BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
58a10
58a10
texas
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
219 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,642 guests, and 555 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts, Brian Ellery
9959 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 191
koan58 99
Stuart 86
NickL 73
Popular Topics(Views)
439,034 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,292
Posts632,463
Members9,959
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#681538 - 01/16/17 10:25 am Reading Spark Plug Info, Quote From John Healy  
Allan Gill Offline
Allan Gill  Offline

Rotherham - S. Yorkshire
I found this article written by John Healy recently in answer to a thread concerning pre-ignition. I felt that this info to be valuable and worth adding to the fixed topics. I hope you will find it useful too.

Feel free to add more info to this topic...

Originally Posted By John Healy
The plug shown over on the triumph rat forum is an R44XL. It is the equivalent to a Champion RN5C. The resistor version of the N5C. This is two grades hotter than the recommended N3C. This alone could make the motorcycle ping (suffer a good case of detonation with either seizure of move on to pre-ignition and a holed piston) if the bike was lugged!!!!! The incorrect grade of plug is a leading cause of pre-ignition.

It would not be wise to make any diagnosis, or changes until the correct grade spark plug is offered. When you build a house you start with the foundation. In this case it is being sure that you have compression, the factory recommended jetting, valves adjusted and timing set.

Before anyone making comments or suggestions one must go over and look at the pictures! The ceramic core is chalk white. The ground electrode is chalk white from heat. There is a little bit of the grey carbon residue one would typically find on the edge of the steel body. You do not have to log onto the forum just click the link below:

http://www.triumphrat.net/members/albums/62616-open1mind/1969-bsa-plugs-carbon-20617.html

Most of his pictures show little but the third one from the left - top row is telling. Notice that the ground strap is white and the heat soak into the body appears to be at least 6 threads.

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/attachm...rk-plugs-p2.jpg

Also "reading" a plug requires a lot of experience with the particular engine and fuel being used. Google "spark plug mixture ring" or "jetting ring". This jetting ring is related to teh "self cleaning" temperature of approx. 500C. The mixture ring forms at the point the ceramic insulator reaches 500C and it is the ring of carbon on the plug that has a temperature lower than 500C that we read.
Also "reading" a plug requires a lot of experience with the particular engine and fuel being used. Google "spark plug mixture ring" or "jetting ring"

http://www.roost.si/articles/jetting/

http://www.ngkntk.co.uk/index.php/problems-with-the-firing-end/

Because modern fuel has no lead, and that it is the lead that did a lot of the coloring plugs back in the day, spark plugs rarely look like the ones on those old plug pictures copied and posted to the web.

As a side note for those who hunger for that chocolate brown electrode please read Kevin Cameron's comment:
"For plug reading, it is essential that you begin with clean fresh plugs. A dark plug will not lighten to indicate a correct or lean mixture, so used plugs are useless for mixture assessment. Also, forget all the plug manufacturer's four color advice sheets about chocolate-brown. That is the color a plug assumes in a street-driven bike with hundreds or thousands of miles on it. The color you are looking for in main-jet tuning is white. If you make a top speed run of 30 seconds or so, and your fresh plugs come out brown, your engine is hopelessly rich."

Bottom line get the right heat range plug. Verify that the jetting is correct for your model. And make sure the bike is in a good state of tune. Then, and only then, make appropriate changes.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#682666 - 01/26/17 11:03 am Re: Reading Spark Plug Info, Quote From John Healy [Re: Allan Gill]  
zxmikez Offline
BritBike Forum member
zxmikez  Offline

BritBike Forum member

New york- upstate
Good suggestion to keep those well authored responses alive and permanent. The original thread, and the pics, are from me. I was definitely mis-diagnosing the lean vs rich issue, so again the forum is priceless....

1982 Yamaha Maxim Mint
1979 Suzuki GS 1000e Mint
2007 Victory Hammer- Mods, Nasty
2010 Triumph Thruxton
2014 Indian Chief Vintage
1969 BSA Lightning
1986 Honda VFR 750 Interceptor
1958 Indian Trailblazer
1977 Harley XLCR
1968 Triumph 250 Trophy Trail
1964 Suzuki t10 250 two stroke
#683218 - 01/31/17 4:05 pm Re: Reading Spark Plug Info, Quote From John Healy [Re: Allan Gill]  
htown Online content
BritBike Forum member
htown  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Magnolia, TX
One thing I have noticed with modern gas is that the plugs from newly rebuilt engines and my modern bike all have light gray insulators with maybe just a 1/2 turn to full turn of carbon on the bottom of the threads and clean ground strap with a color change at the bend.
However on my bikes with a quite a few miles on them, I'm seeing more of a brown insulator, more black on the threads and also more black part way up the ground strap. The plugs don't look oily but the black may have sort of a matte texture. I was attributing this to richness but I'm starting to wonder if what I see is due to a slight increase in oil burning due to these engines having more wear. They don't really smoke but I do occasionally have to add a little oil say 1/4 pint every couple hundred miles while I never have to add any to the recently rebuilt and modern bike.
If the darker color is evidence of slight oil burning and not richness, it could be masking a really clean plug signalling a mixture spot on or even lean.
Does anyone have a reliable way to differentiate between carbon fouling(richness) and light oil fouling?

Last edited by htown; 01/31/17 4:05 pm.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
2-1974 Norton Commandos
2004 XL 1200R Sportster

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.064s Queries: 15 (0.005s) Memory: 0.8100 MB (Peak: 0.9480 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-23 16:41:58 UTC