BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
  JWood Auction  
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Photo posting tutorial

Member Spotlight
Goostrey
Goostrey
San Antonio, TX
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
203 registered members (57nortonmodel77), 1,622 guests, and 587 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Doug Baril, revans, Gilly, XTINCT, Bruce Roberts
9960 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 184
koan58 99
Stuart 85
NickL 70
Popular Topics(Views)
439,657 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums33
Topics65,299
Posts632,336
Members9,960
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#679266 - 12/29/16 10:56 pm paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969  
benny jensen Offline
BritBike Forum member
benny jensen  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Danmark
triumph t100r, daytona 1969... i have just bought this magnificent motorcykle...it is fitted with ss fenders, and i am told that this model should have steelfenders painted in same colors that the tank, which should be lincoln green, with silver in the bottom, seperated with a 4 mm gold stripe...my question is: if that is correct, which width should the green stripe have, and which width should the gold stripe have, and how long should these stripes be, to the end of the fender or boxclosed close to the end? by the way, the motorcykle comes from the states...

Last edited by benny jensen; 12/29/16 11:05 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!
Membership Type! Free
Premium
Premium Life
Vendor
Site
Sponsor
Recognition No Premium Member Premium Life member (5 years) Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
Post commercial threads No No No Yes Yes
Custom title No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Upload avatar & photos No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Link avatar & photos Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Private Message Storage: 10 100 100 100 100
Length of signatures 255 600 600 600 600
Removes this very advert island between post 1&2 No Yes Yes Yes Yes
Price Free $12.90/year $105.00 No End
$55.00/5 years
$210.00/year
($17.50/month)
Email
Click on button >>
  Premium Member Premium Life member Vendor Member Site Sponsor Membership
#679273 - 12/30/16 1:13 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
R Moulding Online content
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Ok, I'm not knocking whats been done that tank looks lovely. However, the paint colours were Lincoln green and silver sheen lined in white. Lincoln green i'm fairly sure should be a candy and not a solid colour. For the tank the separating line should go up and back from the tip of the badge, intersect the fuel filler and then thin to the width of the rear mounting tab effectively giving two Lincoln green panels and a centre stripe in silver. The white own stripe was 1/8th inch.

For the guards I've seen and heard of different widths for 5/8 to 3/4 inch plus the overlapping white stripe. At the front the stripe ends and is boxed before it reaches the rolled forward edge, at the rear of the front guard it continues to the edge and is not boxed.

The rear guard the stripe ends and is boxed before it meets the rolled edge and the rearmost edge. It does not though continue over the guard and is boxed where it ends just inside the rear frame loop mounting bracket.

Mr Stuart should be along shortly to correct me!

Rod

#679277 - 12/30/16 3:42 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
benny jensen Offline
BritBike Forum member
benny jensen  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Danmark
ok, rod...i think there is different opinions regarding the tank...i was not shure when i got it painted, so you can absolutely be correct...but i have seen pics. with that scheme you se on my picture...but i will keep it this way...about the fenders, do you think that the fenders should be painted or stay in ss...the fenders have a kind of lip at the ends...i know, that some fenders i cut kind of sharp at the ends...what is correct for til year of daytona?

here is the bike from august this year, when i bought it...maybee you can detect other things...the motor is a socalled SR service replacement from 1971, and i know the taillight is wrong, but i kind of like this one...and i think that the "ears" holding the headlight is also some kind of trying to modernise the bike...

Last edited by benny jensen; 12/30/16 4:54 am.
#679289 - 12/30/16 7:55 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
benny jensen Offline
BritBike Forum member
benny jensen  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Danmark
i found the colorscheme in a cataloque named: the triumph '69, all models, unfortunately i cannot show the whole cataloque here, but only the picture of the daytona from 69...the stripe is white allrigth, but i think that it would be more nice to put it in gold, then it matches the gold letters on the toolbox and oiltank...i have also seen triumph models with goldstripes dividing the two colors on the tank and fenders...
is it possible, that there i more than one paintscheme for this model and year?

Last edited by benny jensen; 12/30/16 8:26 am.
#679292 - 12/30/16 8:22 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
AngloBike Online content
BritBike Forum member
AngloBike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

UK Berks
http://www.msmotorcyclesuk.com/index.html

John is the best guy for paint in the uk

#679296 - 12/30/16 9:07 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
benny jensen Offline
BritBike Forum member
benny jensen  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Danmark
thank you for info, what are you suggesting?

#679300 - 12/30/16 10:03 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
Irish Swede Online content
BritBike Forum member
Irish Swede  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Elburn, Ill. USA
Benny, the picture from the advertisement shows the way they looked in the United States.

However, different countries got differing paint SCHEMES.
The colors would be the same for all bikes of a particular year and model, but how the colors were "divided" on the tank might differ. The size of the tank could also determine the paint scheme.

As to the fenders: 1969 Bonnevilles sold in the USA had PAINTED fenders, but some of them sold in CANADA had chromed ones.

#679309 - 12/30/16 11:01 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
benny jensen Offline
BritBike Forum member
benny jensen  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Danmark
hi irish swede...i am glad to hear that, as i fist posted, my DAYTONA is first registret in the states, and about the fenders, you talk about bonneville, is it the same for tiger 100 daytona? i know for sure, that my bike has some changes, so i think that the ss fenders is added later, i think that it is not unusual, 47 years is a loooong periode...by the way, my camera is no very good, so the color in the post is a long way from the lincoln green, in real it is very close...and by the way i live in thailand during the winter, and the paint job is done here...it is a very high quality job for around 70 usd.

#679314 - 12/30/16 11:36 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
AngloBike Online content
BritBike Forum member
AngloBike  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

UK Berks
What I was suggesting is that John critchlow is the guy with the best knowledge of triumph paint schemes and can be a mine of information. He does sell the correct paint but can advise on the variations and help resolve issues

#679333 - 12/30/16 1:59 pm Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
I'm not sure there is any real confusion, more likely that the bikes you have seen painted incorrect are simply painted incorrect. To clarify I'm only saying the top of your tank from the forward edge of the badge is wrong and not the separating line from the back edge of the badge.

Different layouts were used for the Home and General Export bikes. The Canadian bikes tended to be Home and General export spec, since yours is a US bike that makes no odds to yourself.

A quick Google and here is an original un restored bike.

http://triumphmotorcycles.typepad.com/photos/1969_triumph_t100r_dayton/index.html

All of that said, if you like it leave it.

Rod

Last edited by R Moulding; 12/30/16 2:01 pm.
#679350 - 12/30/16 6:29 pm Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
Jon W. Whitley Online content
Jon W. Whitley  Online Content

Vermont
Benny,

In my opinion, the way your tank has been finished is more attractive than the "correct"...original scheme. I like the curve of the pinstripe from the rear of the tank badge, rather than the strait line of the pinstripe shown on the original. Gold or White pinstripe...both would look good and with the curve of the pinstripe, like you have.

Generally, there are some rules for stripes on fenders (mudguards) and how they are executed or "finished" in regard as to whether they have a raised beaded edge or straight edge. Since your fenders have the raised beaded edge, they should stop short of the beaded edge and be squared off approximately 1/2" away from the beaded edge. Your fenders should be painted Silver with the Lincoln Green stripe.

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project

#679358 - 12/30/16 8:25 pm Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: AngloBike]  
benny jensen Offline
BritBike Forum member
benny jensen  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Danmark
thnak you anglobike, i may contact him regarding the fenders...i was not sure what you meant, some vendors are not so keen to give advice, when you are not buying...as you see, i have allready got the tank painted, and i will get the fenders painted by the same painter ( thailand ) cheap and extremely well done...

Last edited by benny jensen; 12/30/16 8:32 pm.
#679360 - 12/30/16 8:45 pm Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
benny jensen Offline
BritBike Forum member
benny jensen  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Danmark
hi jon...i specified for the painter, that the pinstripe should continue where the rear-end of the badge stopped in the same curve, and i gave him the kneepads as well, so when they are on, the stripe will follew these too ( not exately, but close enough, because the kneepads are a little less curved than the badge...i also think that it looks better than the straight one...

and to rod...as in the picture from the cataloque, there is at least one daytona which is painted like mine, and i will stick to it...maybee a little more research will confirm that you are right, i may ask the painter to change it when i come to thailand next year...i certainly have to take the tank here anyway, so he can match the colors, when he is doing the fenders ( i was an idiot, not to ask him to make a colorsample for me )...the link you send me: where does these pictures come from?

Last edited by benny jensen; 12/30/16 9:02 pm.
#679365 - 12/30/16 11:00 pm Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

Why change it if your happy with it?

None of the catalogue images actually show the top of the tank, it's always obscured. Same with the T100C, it has a silver stripe along the top of the tank but you don't see it in the catalogue pictures. Thats why I referenced the un restored bike. I would certainly be interested in any information to the contrary.

Rod

#679373 - 12/31/16 12:09 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
benny jensen Offline
BritBike Forum member
benny jensen  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Danmark
i am happy with is, but i also will try to make my bike as original as possible, with small gentle modifications, i think that the dark green on top, will be very nice with the chrome trim on (contrast)...your reference to the un-restored bike, where do it come from? because i understand in a previous reply from irish swede, that different countries may vary the schemes...
i think this is a very interesting kind of "archeology", so any inputs will be met with joy...

Last edited by benny jensen; 12/31/16 12:16 am.
#679377 - 12/31/16 12:33 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ
Benny,

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.typepad.com

There were variations between the Home and General Export bikes and the US bikes. For instance the only pic I could find of a Home Market 69 T100 shows the tank all one colour on the side (no view of the top).

I'm currently painting (i think) my fourteenth Triumph tank. Each one has required lots of looking at many reference pics. John Critchlow will probably surprise you, even if you do not buy he is very helpful and enjoys a good chat.

Rod

Last edited by R Moulding; 12/31/16 1:36 am.
#679382 - 12/31/16 2:36 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
benny jensen Offline
BritBike Forum member
benny jensen  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Danmark
thanks rod...i think i will talk to john, and see what he has to say about all this...are you doing paintwork for others, or do you have/had 14 triumphs? my motor is currently beeing overhauled by a friend of me in denmark...he has 11 bonnies, restored nut to bolt by himself, all the correct bolts the right places, the clocks restored in uk, as new and so on...he imports the original cellulose paint for the paintjob...he has another friend who since the factory stopped producing parts, bought all parts he could from UK and denmark...and he has everything original triumph parts from the 60'ties...so i get original triumph made pistons and rings, valves and guides, clutch, renold chains front and aft and so on...i cannot wait to get back to denmark to put the motor back and ride it...by the way which method for breaking in the engine do you think is the best?

Last edited by benny jensen; 12/31/16 2:39 am.
#679386 - 12/31/16 3:55 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Christchurch NZ

That would be nice but I only have the two Triumphs the rest were jobs for friends and friends of friends. I get a quite attached and hate giving them back! It's a nice hobby though and keeps me out of the pubs.

There is a lot of different opinions about break in, I build my own engine so only have myself to blame. Best advise would be to do exactly as the man building the motor tells you.

Rod

#679387 - 12/31/16 4:09 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
benny jensen Offline
BritBike Forum member
benny jensen  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Danmark
it's a good hobby, and very interesting too...and riding afterwards is the best...when i f.ex. stop somewhere, i can be sure that at least one person come to me and say something like this: an old triumph, i had one of those back then...and then the talk goes...very nice...

#679412 - 12/31/16 12:18 pm Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Benny,

Firstly, welcome to the Forum. smile

Originally Posted By benny jensen
triumph t100r, daytona 1969
it is fitted with ss fenders,
i am happy with is, but i also will try to make my bike as original as possible, with small gentle modifications,

Before you worry about painted or stainless fenders, you need to decide what you're aiming for, or you are just going to waste your money.

For instance, as Rod has posted, you have had the tank painted in the wrong colours and in the wrong pattern for a '69 T100R.

The T100R was a US-market-only variant - a twin-carburettor 500 sold in Canada (or anywhere else in the world) would have been a T100T, with a different tank painted in a different pattern from a T100R.

A T100R would have a completely-different rear lamp mounting, that leaves much of a painted fender stripe visible. Coupled with the correct top centre stripe on a T100R tank, they form a trompe l'oeil - when a bike is viewed from the rear, they have the visual effect of making it look slimmer and longer; however, if you keep the 'UK & General Export'-pattern rear lamp mounting, any stripe on the rear fender won't be visible ...

So you see what I mean about deciding what you're aiming for? "Original as possible", you need to respray the tank along with the fenders, and you need the '68-'70 US-market rear lamp mounting. "Original as possible" also says you need to change the speedometer and tachometer mounting (they have grey dials?), headlamp mountings, front fender mountings, rear "lifting handle" (the hoop between the top shock absorber mountings around the rear fender), strip off the "Daytona" on the oil tank and apply the silly "Minimum Oil Level" transfer. In short, the list of changes to make your bike "original" is almost endless ... and it will still have obviously the wrong engine ... frown

And - in my humble opinion - "original" Lincoln Green is a horrible colour - around this time, Meriden had a distressing preoccupation with various shades of green, none of which look very good (car makers say green is one of the least-popular colours). frown

Or you can say, "I have a nice bike, I will just enjoy it as it is". Then if you want to paint the fenders, paint them how you want; bigt worrying about width of stripes is a waste of time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

#679471 - 12/31/16 9:20 pm Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
benny jensen Offline
BritBike Forum member
benny jensen  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Danmark
hi stuart...thanks for your reply...that was a mouthfull, i know the rearlamp is wrong for the model, but it think this one suits the bike better...so i think i will go for "i have a nice bike" and maybee make the changes over the years...i have a friend who have all the stuff i need...the paintjob for the fenders and maybee a respray of the thank is a very cheep fix, around 70 pounds...by the way do you have a picture of such a bike in its "original dressing, where i can see the colorscheme from the top and the frontend, as rod are saying, there is not many pics where this is seen...trompe l'oeil hmm i cannot find a translation, what does it mean?

and by the way to all...happy newyear...

#679498 - 01/01/17 6:16 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Benny,

Happy New Year to you too. smile

do you have a picture of such a bike in its "original dressing, where i can see the colorscheme from the top and the frontend, as rod are saying, there is not many pics where this is seen...

Unfortunately, I don't ... any I've seen were a long time ago, before I knew there were almost no pictures ... frown

trompe l'oeil hmm i cannot find a translation, what does it mean?

Translating the French literally, "fool the eye"; idiomatically, maybe "optical illusion"? I tried putting the phrase into Google and it comes up with several pictures that illustrate the principle.

Regards,

#679501 - 01/01/17 7:09 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
benny jensen Offline
BritBike Forum member
benny jensen  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Danmark
hi again stuart...i think that it is anybody's guess how the paint should be then, size of thank, import east or west us, and sofort...i have seen a lot of different painschemes for that particular model and year...and the pic. from the cataloque is not conclusive, whether there is a silver stripe on the middle of the tank, or not...i talked to a person Palle in denmark, who is a kind of neerd about triumphs...he can detect if a bolt is wrong to any kind of triumph excist, at any place, and he told me, that the scheme of the tank should be as i got it painted...but however, i emailed john as suggested by anglobike, and i hope that he will answer, and i will ofcourse put his answer here at the forum...i think that it is very exciting what so ever...but thanks again stuart...
benny

#679659 - 01/02/17 6:02 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
Stuart Online content
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

Scotland
Hi Benny,

i think that it is anybody's guess how the paint should be then, size of thank, import east or west us, and sofort

To be clear, original '69 T100R's had one tank size - >2.5 UK gallons (>11 litres) with two taps and one or possibly two schemes, no "east or west us". Other tanks and other schemes were on other variants. The original paint scheme Rod described was eye-catching and was specific to the T100R.

i have seen a lot of different painschemes for that particular model and year

'69 Triumphs are nearly half-a-century old, "a lot of" owners repaint their bikes. Also, the US importers are well-known for supporting dealers if a different paint scheme was required by the customer to secure the original sale.

i talked to a person Palle

With respect, T100R's would not have been exported to Denmark in 1969, it was a US-only variant until 1971. The twin-carburettor 500 Meriden would have sent to Denmark before 1971 is the 'UK & General Export' T100T, with the very-similar-looking but slightly-larger 3-gallon (14-litre) tank, which were painted how your tank has been painted.

Don't get me wrong, it's your bike, have it how you want it, just don't become confused about how "original" '69 T100R's were. smile

Hope this helps.

Regards,

#679667 - 01/02/17 6:54 am Re: paint scheme triumph t100r, daytona 1969 [Re: benny jensen]  
benny jensen Offline
BritBike Forum member
benny jensen  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Danmark
ok, one tank size for that model, it narrows it down...you are right, the bike was first registred in the states, and then exported to denmark around 1999, where i can detect the first registration with an insurance company...in denmark, motorvehicles has to have an insurance to get registred, and get a numberplate...
but thanks for your reply's funny the whole thread started with the fenders stainless or painted, and if painted, the widht of the stripes...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.149s Queries: 16 (0.007s) Memory: 1.0095 MB (Peak: 1.3718 MB) Zlib disabled. Server Time: 2017-11-24 11:10:34 UTC